+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't read all the replies yet, but given that there are protective properties to breastmilk, I would hazzard a guess that bm would still be better from a toxicity point of view.

Our food supply is a toxic mess. That is not an exaggeration either. So it makes sense to me that a number of those toxins would be passed through bm, BUT breastmilk is amazing stuff with many different jobs besides simply providing nutrients. ie, one thing it does is train the immune system (70% of which scientists now believe is in our digestion) how to process and eliminate toxins.

I think it would be naive to think that many of the same toxins wont' make their way to our babies anyway (sadly) through our water supply, air, food supply and even in the ingredients that comprise formula.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-07-2012),MissMuppet  (08-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (08-07-2012),wrena  (08-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    I think it would be naive to think that many of the same toxins wont' make their way to our babies anyway (sadly) through our water supply, air, food supply and even in the ingredients that comprise formula.
    I was just about to post the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    There are toxins in breastmilk if you have toxic products in your home, rub toxic creams into your skin, wash your dishes with toxic dishwashing liquid.

I switched to toxin-free products a long time ago and I'm happy to chat to anyone about it, just inbox me and I'll give you my details.

Sent from my GT-S5570 using BubHub

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

6. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (08-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think its bizarre to recommend reduced breastfeeding based on this. After all, a lot of the toxins that accumulate in the body and make their way into breastmilk are found in our drinking water. And formula is made with water...

If a mother is absorbing toxins from her environment, its likely the baby will be absorbing the same toxins from the same environment, regardless of whether they are breastfed or formula fed.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-07-2012),headoverfeet  (08-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (08-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    I think its bizarre to recommend reduced breastfeeding based on this. After all, a lot of the toxins that accumulate in the body and make their way into breastmilk are found in our drinking water. And formula is made with water...

If a mother is absorbing toxins from her environment, its likely the baby will be absorbing the same toxins from the same environment, regardless of whether they are breastfed or formula fed.
    Which is exactly why the answer should be reducing or eliminating toxins while continuing to breastfeed.

Sent from my GT-S5570 using BubHub

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-07-2012),MissMuppet  (08-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is nothing to do with the stuff you are inducing when breastfeeding..this is stuff you have been around/inducing all your life....

I know it is all being looked at at the moment..and I have a feeling that some results may be a little scary..

this has nothing to do with bottle V breastfeeding...maybe more to do with BF for 6 months V 3 yrs..??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    It is nothing to do with the stuff you are inducing when breastfeeding..this is stuff you have been around/inducing all your life....
    Which means the baby will come into contact with a lot more over it's own life span.

There is no need for it to influence breastfeeding term when there are still plenty of health (and emotional) benefits with continuing.
    Last edited by Stiflers Mom; 08-07-2012 at 16:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiflers Mom View Post
    Which means the baby will come into contact with a lot more over it's own life span.

There is no need for it to influence breastfeeding term when there are still plenty of health (and emotional) reasons to continue.

of course..but inducing it when it's a baby..may have issues ..that's my interest with this..

BF of course is great..as I said..but the length of time we feed MAY not be great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post

I know it is all being looked at at the moment..and I have a feeling that some results may be a little scary..

this has nothing to do with bottle V breastfeeding...maybe more to do with BF for 6 months V 3 yrs..??
    Yes but BFing over 3 years may still provide the child with more protection against the toxins that are in the general environment, in food, etc. Yep the toxins are in breast milk too but so are lots and lots of good immune-boosting things.

It's frightening though, isn't it. I used to be big on "natural products" and have got slack lately. I've been cleaning with chemicals and eating processed food. I'll take this as a wake-up call and a reminder to get back to clean living.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (08-07-2012)