+ Reply to Thread
    strawberry swing is offline not so patiently waiting for the 1st of july!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 30 minute feeds for newborn? J cup size - help!!

hi ladies.

my little girl arrived on the 5th. she was feeding 3-4 hourly at the hospital, but since we got homeast night she decided she wanted to be fed every 30-40 minutes leaving me no time for sleep or to let my nipples recover.

She also seems to be making a clicking noise she. she feeds. I checked with a midwife before we left that she was attaching properly and they said she is, but my cup size is J and I don't know if there is just too much for her and she is releasing too much skin from around the nipple after attaching or I haven't gotten the hang of bf yet

I'm so tired and sore, if anyone can help with feeding tips for big boobs that would be so helpful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    It could be worth looking into different positions to feed her in.
    If you contact the ABA (australian breastfeeding association) they have heaps more information and people that can help you more than I can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have HH and I found the football hold worked well to help lessen the pain early on. Plus it was pretty comfy. I'd sit on the couch fully back and have 1 or 2 pillows (depending on torso height) run along the side of my body. Bubs feet touch the back of the couch and you cradle under your LO head with your hand. I liked it because I've found BF to this day a 2 handed job. I always scissor the nipple with 2 fingers so it doesn't block my DD nostrils. The football hold gives you a free hand

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Definitely ring the ABA for advice, they are wonderful.

My kids used to make a clicking noise when they were either a) not attached properly, or b) the flow was too fast for them, which then caused them to momentarily be not attached properly.

Can't help with positions for big boobies as I have the complete opposite problem , but wanted to say don't get disheartened that you may not have 'gotten the hang of it' yet, you're still in very early days and bf is definitely a skill that needs to be learnt, I'm sure you will be all smooth sailing soon and have a lovely breastfeeding relationship with your new bubby. Congrats btw!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I also did the football hold for months -much to the annoyance and confusion of my mum and mil "why don't you feed him properly?"

I don't know about the clicking, but a friend has a 4 week old and she clicks when she feeds. Agree to ring the ABA

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Have you tried laying down to fed? I only have F size boobs but I do find it the most comfortable position. The trick is to lay with baby and you making a V shape, place baby so their head is at boob height (nipple to nose) and pull baby closer by holding their bottom/lower back rather than the head you might have to pull baby down and closer in the same action, you want babies head to fall back a bit. Baby won't end up laying parallel to you but as I said in a Vish position to your body. When you get the hang of breastfeeding more and when baby gets a bit bigger you will find it easier to sit up to feed

Eta I'd say the clicking issue is because bub is having trouble keeping suction on your breast DD does it occasionally if she is upright and I'm not supporting my breast properly, it slips into the wrong position try holding your breast and moving bub closer (I find this doesn't happen when I lay down unless I am trying to reach something and pulling my boob out of her mouth lol. If its happening all the time I would look into if bub has a tongue tie.
    Last edited by headoverfeet; 08-07-2012 at 09:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You should ring the ABA and also check you tube for videos. They helped me a lot with attachment early days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine are large too and I found a breastfeeding pillow really helps as it allows bubs head to be supported and leaves your hand free to shape your breast to bubs mouth. (squish it flat near the nipple) gives you more control too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and the 30 min feeds are quite normal at that age but she will go back to 3 hr feeds so don't worry! Can be a comfort thing or she is falling asleep before she gets enough... Still so tiny, you will be a pro in no time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jordansmumma View Post
    Mine are large too and I found a breastfeeding pillow really helps as it allows bubs head to be supported and leaves your hand free to shape your breast to bubs mouth. (squish it flat near the nipple) gives you more control too!
    Me too!