+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do you get your toddler to drink water when sick?

My 15 months old DS has been sick for the past 2 days. Gave him some nurofen to keep the temp down, hes been very miserable and its heart breaking to see. Runny nose, red watery puffy eyes, mild temp and coughing, I dont blame him for not wanting to eat anything but still has me worried. Hes refusing to eat or drink. Normally he drinks a LOT of water through out the day, now NONE. The whole day he only had some vanilla custard, some crackers, a few chips and a palm size red bean bun.
    Tonight I had to use a syringe and force some water in. I tried juice (hes never a fan of juice) I tried his favourite soup, banana buzz, nothing works.

How do you keep your toddlers fluid up when they are sick? How do you get them to eat / would you force them to eat something?

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Would he have some fruit that's got a lot of juice content like grapes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    When things were that bad i found water ice blocks often worked and just kept on offering and encouraging water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's the worse seeing your child in pain & unable to fix it. Maybe try some Electralite icypoles to keep him hydrated.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you tried ice blocks? Most GP's will tell you as long as they are having some form of liquid it's ok. My DD's have recently gotten over bronchiolitis and we were told to just try anything.

The only things we could get them to have was a bit of soy ice cream, lemonade ice blocks and ice cubes that were frozen in the shape of fish (novelty tray).

Hope your little man gets better soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would not force them to eat, i wait until they express interest in eating again.
    Mine will take small sips of water but maybe you could try small bits of ice chips? or those electrolyte ice blocks?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I put a tiny bit of cranberry juice in ds water to add flavour.

Otherwise every ten minutes I put some water in his neurofen syringe and trick him into thinking its medicine lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I echo what everyone else has said about ice poles. When DS was sick i made my own by freezing juice mixed with water so it wasn't too strong or sweet. Was the only thing he'd have!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub