+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do you teach them to hold their pee in?

DS has been successfully poo-ing in potty for months and we just started pee training today. He's happy on the potty and excited about his construction machine undies. However he can't hold it in and wees into his pants, then asks for the potty. I explained that he should wait until pants are off and he's on potty before he lets the 'water' out. He seems to understand but have yet to actually do it. I know it's only day 1, and we've got much less problems compared to what I've read. And I know TT is a process, patience is vital. BUT can't help but wonder whether there's anything I can do differently to help him learn to hold it until he gets to potty? Potty (and me) trail him like a fox all day so it's under a minute between him calling out 'Potty!' and me landing his naked butt on the potty. He doesn't need to hold it for long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would be asking him every 30 mins or so if he needs to pee ... If it has been more than 1 1/2 hrs actually put him on the potty ... Gradually you could start to ask him 35, 40, 45 mins.

Sounds like he is holding on but just leaving it too late.

How old is he?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd leave his pants off they only hinder the process in my experience

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have to agree, gentle reminders helped to no end with my DS. But I did what someone (can't remember who!) recommended, and said to DS "Don't forget to tell mummy when you need the potty!" rather than "Do you need to do wees?".

That way it was like saying to him that he needed to be aware of it, rather than me reminding him constantly. Worked a treat .

Now I'm struggling to get him to poo in the potty as he seems terrified of the concept. He literally cries and holds it in for some reason, even if he needs to go so bad it's dribbling out, poor bubba .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all - started on gentle reminders this evening and got 1 successful pee in potty! All undies now washed and ready to go again tomorrow.

@Smartiecat- DS turns 3 in Sept.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Eko- try giving the poo a break for about a fortnight, then start again? We did the same with DS - he had the poo nailed at about just over 18 mths, then 3 months later simply refused potty. We decided gave it a break (too long a break, with heaps going on we kinda forgot until about 4 months later). Second time round he did not put up any struggle.But he would only do it with DH and myself. Not grandma, not carers at daycare. there must be a privacy thing too, in their little minds!