+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Which method should I use?

My 5 month old DS has started stirring at 3am most days, he will doze if I pat him but a few minutes after I stop patting he will keep whining and wake himself up totally.
    I usually just continue patting him until around 5 when I just give up getting any more sleep.
    I'm sure (hoping and praying!) that this is just a phase but my question is; is it better for me to just get up when he starts to stir? I'm worried he will get used to the 3am cuddles and it will become a habit to wake for them after the phase has passed.
    Whereas maybe if we start the day when he starts to continually stir he may just start to eventually sleep later?
    I hope this makes sense, though my sleep deprived brain somehow doubts that

Any other hints or tips would be awesome!

Thanks
    Reviews
    it probably is just a phase. i personally wouldn't be starting my day at 3am as then he may want bedtime earlier, which will roll over to another early start the next day.
    i think what you are doing is exactly what i would do. sometimes my 9mo stirs about that time, i pull her into bed next to me and we go back to sleep. i'd rather have cuddles than an upset baby!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (07-07-2012),Mulva  (07-07-2012)

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you giving him a feed when he wakes at 3 or just patting him? He could just need a feed and then might go straight back to sleep for the rest of the night.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Savingfishfromdrowning For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (07-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DD does this, so I breastfeed her and if she won't settle into her cot I keep her in her Gro Bag and put her on my bed beside me to cosleep (safely). She's 9 months and I've never had to start the day before 7am.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (07-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine always has a 3 am feed....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jordansmumma For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (07-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Id try and find a cause. Any temporary band-aid (patting, co-sleeping, extra comfort feed etc) may become habit.. And a long term fix that doesn't actually solve the problem.

Is the room too cold? (my bub will wake if it dips to 16 degrees, but 17 is ok).

Could bub be hungry? Introducing solids/more solids may help? Do you do a dreamfeed?

Could you be going in to help bub too quickly? Some time my bub stirs and grunts when he's moving between sleep cycles. If I go and try to help him it wakes him. If I let him be then he moves to the next sleep cycle by himself.

Good luck.
    Last edited by VicPark; 07-07-2012 at 14:25.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (07-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! He still wakes for a feed every couple of hours, so I know he's not hungry, if its colder than usual I just pull him closer and snuggle so I'm sure he's not cold...
    Sorry should have mentioned before we bedshare, though he has his own sleeping surface.
    I just don't know why he's doing this, its exhausting for both of us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you get up immediately to settle him? Have you tried letting him stir/whinge/cry for a few minutes to see what happens? I'm not saying you have to let him cry himself to sleep, I am just wondering if you have ever tried to time how long he is winging an crying for.
    Like VicPark said, I used to come running to DS with the first little grunt and ended up patting him until I fell asleep hanging over his cot

Then one day I was that tired that I did not immediately jumped up and ran to him. I just struggled to get up and took about 3-5 minutes to get to attend him. By the time I had found my dressing gown, got my slippers on and found my balance, he had gone quiet and back to sleep.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (07-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope I've tried letting him whinge but if he doesn't get settled straight away he will wake up completely, look around and start then there is zilch chance of me grabbing 5 minutes sleep here and there, little rat lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you just tried letting him chat himself to sleep? I have done that a handful times with DS. Turned the volume down on the monitor and let him chat himself back to sleep. He could talk for an hour straight and I would go to sleep. If he got upset I would ofcourse hear it and attend to him.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (07-07-2012)