+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You can't help what people say in their thoughts, but I'm astounded that someone would say something so hurtful within earshot of another person! Disgusting women

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Yeah it's awful, my husband is Aboriginal so he gets it a bit too. My DD1 watched some video in class about Aboriginal people and a girl in her class said to her 'are you aboriginal?' and DD said yes, and the little girl screwed her face up and said 'ewwwww'. I mean WTF!?
    This terrifies me about my kids going to school. We've had problems with similar comments towards our nieces and nephews, they're not Aboriginal, but people assume they are and make really gross comments and assumptions based on disgusting generalisations. Your poor DD, I don't understand how people think it's okay .

I've had some really bizarre comments from health care providers about being married to a darker skinned man and being of middle eastern decent myself, but I'm a big girl and understand ignorance. I just can't imagine the hurt a comment like that would cause for a child. I'm getting teary eyed thinking about it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (08-07-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    People suck. You shouldn't have had to justify yourself to them.

DP sees a lot of racism at work. She had someone call in to report some people who were acting suspicious. DP asked her what the suspicious behaviour was and the woman who called in said "they look Muslim.."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Full kudos to you for standing up to them. Often it's only later you think what you should have said. Your reply was perfect and your clearly contributing more to the community than they are.

But think of it this way- you probably passed 200 people at the shops and those 2 idiots are the only ones who were horrible. So don't let 1% of people get you down. They are the minority not you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    "they look Muslim.."

This always creates a 'da fuq?' moment for me. It shows people are pretty ignorant about what being Muslim even means. Someone on here mentioned their friend who is a Muslim Catholic the other day too. Mind = Blown.

I have been asked by people at church what it's like being Muslim. Our Christian church.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I must be a boat person too according to our effort at the coffee shop

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    This always creates a 'da fuq?' moment for me. It shows people are pretty ignorant about what being Muslim even means. Someone on here mentioned their friend who is a Muslim Catholic the other day too. Mind = Blown.

I have been asked by people at church what it's like being Muslim. Our Christian church.
    Yes!!! It's so infuriating.
    1) There's a difference between religion and ethnicity and;
    2) Neither solely defines a person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for your lovely replies .
    I never let these things bother me...just this one really hit me hard!

Im a muslim and often people assume muslim/islam = terrorism. Once at a friends gathering a guy was really in my face about being muslim and how shameful it is, its discusting, all muslims are terroists, islam teaches ppl to kill ...and i just blew up and said (screamed actually )..''did muslims start world wor 1 and 2?? did muslims slaughter millions of american natives, africans and australian aborigines???.. NOOO!!! So shut the f***up !!! ''. and yes that did shut him up

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OS&N For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-07-2012),austmum  (08-07-2012),Izy  (07-07-2012),lovesushi  (07-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm so glad a stranger stood up for you, particularly in this current society that has a strong negative view of Muslims (unfairly so). You don't deserve that and your response was perfect

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post

If I was there I would have stood up for you too. Racism is not ok ever.

I just keep in mind that the older racist generation will eventually die off, and while yes, their kids may be racist, racism is getting less and less with more and more education.
    People suck! And I also sit there quietly and think "oh well, youll be dead soon" :haha: