+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Return to work or stay home?

I was planning to return to work 3 days per week next year when DS2 turns 1. He would stay with my mum and mil. Since I had DS2 my DH has changed jobs and would earn enough now for me to stay home.

Option 1: return to work anyway (3 days, DS2 will be 1.) Our aim is to pay off our mortgage quick so we can move to the area we like (close to DS2's future school and my mum)

Option 2: take another 2 years off (return 3 days when DS2 turns 3 years old). House mortgage will take longer to pay off therefore delaying our move for another couple of years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What do you want to do Hun?

Ultimately it's your decision! Do you want to go back to work? Would you prefer to be at home?

It's such a personal decision. I would probably SAH purely because that's what *I* have decided is best for *our* family.

What does DH think you should do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would love to stay home. But also want to move house in the next 5 years (would be longer if I worked).

Dh wants me to return to work...lol

The kids will be with grandparents, so i don't have to feel guilty about child care again (as DS1 was in care last year 1-2 days when they were unavailable)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is entirely up to you and your DH, try not to feel guilty about the reasons you want to return to work I completely understand those. For me once this baby is born I won't be going back to work however I don't have a career so I don't feel i will be missing something. My point is if I had a good job to return to that I enjoyed i would be more inclined to go back IYKWIM. I wen't back to work after DD was born simply for the social aspect and soon realised that i was so unhappy being away from her i wanted to stay home again, my DH wouldn't let me give up work so i have been working ever since. This time I put my foot down and said I am not going back, let him try and make me this time lol. Would your DH let you stop working if you found it wasn't for you and you would rather be home?

As for paying the mortgage these things are very important to me, we have just sold our house and are building a new one but my DH has to be able to service this loan on his own or I would never have agreed. I haven't really helped much but this is my insight as to what i would do, Good luck with your decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd stay at home. The mortgage can wait but time with your bubba will be gone forever if you don't take it now. Could you move to the area you want to and rent for a bit when you need to for ds school and then get a bigger mortgage once you start working again? Just a thought that might get you both things. ;-)
    I personally consider it to be a real blessing for a person to be able to stay at home with their kids. I would take the opportunity if it is given to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd go back to work. DS2s grandparents will loooove having him around. You don't know what the future holds, I'd get ahead while you can. Its only 3 days a week, not full time. I found going back to work made me appreciate my time with DD more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can you start off with 1 or 2 days per week and see how you go.
    I LOVE being a SAHM but i also LOVE my 3 nights a week work. It allows me to have some adult conversion and TBH i think it makes me a BETTER MUM!
    Im so lucky (as it sounds like you are too) to have the CHOICE between work and home. If i were you i wouldnt be putting pressure on yourself to work and be a SAHM. I went back to work once a week when DS was 9 months old cos it felt right. I gradually increased it as i got used to work again
    Ultimatley You have to do what feels right for you. if your not feeling ti right now id wait. These first few years are so precious and go by soooooo quick. Theres plenty of time to work when your kids are at school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all so much for your replies! I am a teacher, so might even consider 2 days a week casual teaching instead of 3 days permanent which means corrections, meetings, reports etc!

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally Id compromise and maybe work 2 days a week (so each nana had a day with the bubs).
    Im planning on working next year, mainly as Id like more money, and quite enjoy working