+ Reply to Thread
    LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Health Care Card... Please explain :)?

So I received a Health Care Card recently and whilst I understand that it can aid me in getting perscription medication at an affordable price. However I am a bit confused as to what/if it entitles me to anything else. I haven't had one before and couldn't find the information.

So what general things will a Health Care Card cover?

In simple terms please =)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Some medical clinics only bulk bill health care card holders.
    Keep in mind it is a Health Care Card so it's main point is health related benefits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In SA a health care card entitles you to concession rates at the cinema, swimming pools, the zoo etc and a concession fare on busses trains and trams, but you need to go into a local families SA office to get a concession pass. With my pension concession card I was able to get a good seat at the theatre to see Riverdance 2 months ago.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mezmerised View Post
    Some medical clinics only bulk bill health care card holders.
    Keep in mind it is a Health Care Card so it's main point is health related benefits.
    With medical centers mention it at reception or when booking an appointment, don't assume it will be bulk billed. I work at a medical centre we offer a reduced rate for healthcare cards but don't bulk bill so I would check.

Their also great for discount public transport, movies and medication especially.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you can use it for cheaper power, rego etc, or you can use it for paying for shorter rego so not so much outlay all at once. This might deoend in states, but you used to be able to use it for these things. I think concessions such as the education maintenance allowance and cheaper public transport etc. I can't remember what else, but generally if it says 'concession', it's worth asking if it includes health care card.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some states offer more discounts then other states. If you don't want to post what state you live in maybe Google health care card discounts with your state.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think their us a difference between a concession card for a partnered person and someone on PPS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JessaKye View Post
    With medical centers mention it at reception or when booking an appointment, don't assume it will be bulk billed. I work at a medical centre we offer a reduced rate for healthcare cards but don't bulk bill so I would check.
    That's what I meant, some do, not all Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    a health care card is yellow and you should be able to get a guide to state government discounts at your local centrelink office or search for it online. Here in tassie we get discounts on our power of about $110 quarter, and discounts on rego and license fees but it does vary state to state.

Pension card is usually blue and you are entitled to better discounts

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks everyone. I am in NSW and NOT on any sort of parenting payment from centrelink. I just get the FTB. But they sent out the Health Care Card so I was a bit confused as I couldn't find info. Yes it's the yellow one =)