+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Induction at 38wks - your experiences

Im being induced this week for high BP. I will be 38+2 when I go in to get the gel, 38+3 when they hopefully break my waters and bub is born.

Just wondering if anyone else was induced around the same gestation and how long your induction took? How many rounds of gel did you need etc?

Cheers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Hi there! So exciting, not long now!

I was induced at 38+3. I went into hospital at 38+2 as I was bleeding (textbook pregnancy up until then). I was already 2cm and in early labour so they gave me 24 hours to go into active labour naturally. That didn't happen so at 11.30 the next day my waters were broken. I started feeling the contractions soon after that, but wasn't progressing quickly enough so at 3.30 I was put on the drip. DS was born four hours later. So from waters being broken to DS being born - eight hours all up.

I had a great birth, I kept active for as long as possible which I think helped.

I didn't have the gel so I can't offer any advice about that, but I hope my story helps. Best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thats great thank you! I'm definitely keen to stay as active as I can (monitors permitting of course). Its great to hear a positive induction story. There's so many negative experiences out there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was induced at 37+6. On the sat arvo i had the cervadil tape inserted - sent home, it did nothing.
    On the sun arvo i had the tape removed and the cervical ripening balloon inserted (not a nice experience). Sent home again, balloon fell out that night.

On mon morning into hospy again, Had waters broken, hooked up to drip and DD2 was born just less than 4hrs later.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

pilbarablossom  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced with DS at 38w2. I went in the evening at 38w1 to be induced but my induction was delayed (due to all birthing suites being full). Was inserted with a dose of gel at 4.30 am, waters were broken at 12.40 pm and DS was born at 9.11 pm via vacuum after I became hypoglycemic and had no energy to push.

With DD I was induced at 37w0 and no gel was used, waters broken, syntocin to get things moving and she was born less than 8 hours later.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to davally For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know that there's so many negative inducement stories, but I'm not scared of it at all, if that's what it comes to.

I think your birth experience, no matter WHAT eventuates, has more to do with your care provider...as in, yep your contractions with syntocin are going to be stronger than if they'd built up themselves, but with a supportive and positive midwife/OB you will find your inner strength to manage them.

And if things go haywire and you need a section, a supportive theatre team will do whatever they can (skin to skin etc) to encourage initial bonding with bub and mum.

But you need to go into it believing that you CAN DO IT!

And I honestly think you can!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cakeish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone I have no option but to do it!! This baby has to come out one way or another. I'm not one for birth plans...it just leads to disappointment. We will take things as they come. I trust our middies with my life (and obviously my baby's). Im a nurse at the same hospital so I know most of them personally. I know they wont do anything to put us at risk. Im just interested in hearing how long everyone's inductions took - though I know every labour is different. Seems a lot of them are quite quick...

Im just excited to be finally meeting our little womb-invader. This weekend had better go quickly!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced at 37 and 5 due to preeclampsia. My cervix hadn't softened at all, but it only took one dose of gels to get things going. My labour was 5 hours and drug free. I'd done a lot of preparation which I think helped. I think a birth plan is less about planning exactly how you'd like things to go and more about knowing your options and preferences - eg if you want delayed cord clamping, physiological third stage, who cuts the cord etc, etc. I wanted to catch bub and I'm so glad that I was the first to touch her. How exiting that you'll meet your baby so soon. Hope everything goes wonderfully for you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    i was induced with DD at 38+2 had the cervidil tape that day but nothing happened. i stayed in hospital i was induced due to GD. Next morning i had a dose of the gel very little happened. on the wed morning i had some more gel. I had some mild contractions over night but by breakfast they had gone. Was a bit frustrated by this stage and said i just want my baby out so they check to see how much i had dilated - 1cm just enough to break my waters!!! this happened about 11am. i was put on an insulin infusion and a syotocin drip and my dd was born at 4.35 that arvo. I think i had quite an easy labor yes it bl00dy hurt the contractions went from next to nothing to very full on due to the drip but i can honestly say it wasnt the worst pain ive ever experienced.

I have gd again so am going into hospital to be induced on monday morning at 730am i will be 39 weeks. dont anticipated any problems and have been told it wont take any where near as long this time around.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nelle7250 For This Useful Post: