+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Birth control

Does anyone know how soon you can start birth control ie taking the pill after giving birth?? I don't use condoms with my husband, just something we decided we wouldn't do, but was worried about how soon after birth I can start back on the pill. Has anyone been able to start straight away? Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I asked my ob this at my last app n he said it depends if you are breastfeeding

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You can't use the full pill while breastfeeding but you can use the mini pill - not sure how early you can start this though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can use any progesterone only contraception while bfing. You can start mini pill from 4 weeks and I think implant, shots from 6 weeks. It recommended you use something from 4 weeks or abstain. Most women don't fall pregnant while exclusively BFing but you could...

You could also consider IUD or Mirena coil.

Just a word of warning there a few bub hubbers with babies conceived while on mini pill! Also personally for me progesterone makes me bloat and put on weight. It also gives me acne.

Updated to say even 5 weeks after birth when I tried sex it wasn't really enjoyable...so you might have a bit of time. However I've known women pregnant at 6 week check up!!!!
    Last edited by MinkyJ; 06-07-2012 at 17:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    the type of pill you can go on depends if you are breastfeeding or not. But yes you can go on pill or mini pill after giving birth. You normally dont want to have sex straight away. So normally when you go to your 6 week checkup after bubs they will write you a perscription for the pill or discuss other forms.