Closed Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    You can't help how you feed a baby
    That's a generalisation don't you think! Yes there are many women who have no choice but there are also those who do.

One of the BIGGEST risk factors for SIDS is actually smoking, studies have shown up to 80% of children who died from SIDS were exposed to second hand smoke (on parents clothes as well as directly in area). When Aus averages around 90 SIDS deaths each year that is over 70 babies who have died with a link to smoking. Compare that to 4 linked to co-sleeping and I know what they should be warning parents about. And smoking is a choice!!!!! Where's those headlines?

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (07-07-2012),Annabella  (06-07-2012),Busy-Bee  (07-07-2012),FiveInTheBed  (06-07-2012),FutureMa  (06-07-2012),headoverfeet  (06-07-2012),lambjam  (06-07-2012),LoveLivesHere  (07-07-2012),lovesushi  (06-07-2012),Opinionated  (07-07-2012),Star81  (07-07-2012),Witwicky  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can see why the coroner made those comments. If i had to investigate the deaths of 4 beautiful babies who were all cosleeping i would probably advise people against it too.
    We co slept for a while to save our sanity and can see how things can go dramatically wrong.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

RubySunrise  (06-07-2012),VicPark  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Are people having a go at co sleeping parents though?
    I think that headlines such as 'Parents sleeping with babies 'dangerous'' just makes those co-sleep feel like they are evil and putting their babies at risk, regardless of whether they cosleep safely or not. And news articles like this, that does not mention safe sleeping guidelines, or any other research, just makes some members of society view those who cosleep as parents who are putting their children at risk.

The news article gives no information on the guidelines to follow. Let's face it, people will cosleep. I never thought I'd cosleep but after getting up for the 2139123808 time, I brought the baby in with me to save my sanity. Kudos to those that are able to handle that many wake ups, but I couldn't. So instead of making those parents feel horrible, instead they should be educating how to do it safely.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

FutureMa  (06-07-2012),headoverfeet  (06-07-2012)

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I read the article - but there weren't many details in there tbh??

were there ABSOLUTELY no other common variables with the families??? no other thing in common other than the co-sleeping??

our arrangement was always like ~Bec~'s ... hubby was out (he is a heavy sleeper and doesn't even hear the smoke alarms .. sigh ) baby was in .. but the bed linen was kept low and to a minimum to increase safety ... and as another poster said - I also always wake up in the SAME position as when I go to sleep

There is no perfect way to parent - every baby and parent is different .. guidelines are wonderful ... but I think its a parents role to assess the situation, and make the BEST choice for them .. ensuring that risks are low - but that life is liveable.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Veve For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by veve View Post

there is no perfect way to parent - every baby and parent is different .. Guidelines are wonderful ... But i think its a parents role to assess the situation, and make the best choice for them .. Ensuring that risks are low - but that life is liveable.
    yes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't bothered reading any replies.
    Having a baby is dangerous. Period.
    Driving in a car with your baby is dangerous.
    Waiting at a train station with your babies is dangerous.
    Walking down the road, crossing the road with your baby is dangerous.
    Sleeping with your baby is dangerous, but so is leaving your baby in a cot in another room.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeamummy For This Useful Post:

Bennos Mummy  (06-07-2012),Boobycino  (07-07-2012),FutureMa  (07-07-2012),GuestMember  (06-07-2012),halloweendee  (06-07-2012),shelle65  (06-07-2012),tormyxxx  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It really makes you second guess your maternal instincts too..
    I co- sleep with dd after her first feed in the night I sleep sitting half upright with a v pillow underneath bub with her sleeping in the crook of my arm, I have never moved nor has bub but now I'm going to stop doing it. So it def had a impact on me

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm all for spreading information about risks. What I have a problem with is the way that so many different sleeping arrangements are lumped under co-sleeping. For example, sleeping on a couch with a baby is incredibly risky but is lumped in with pre-planned and risk reduced bed-sharing. I remember when I was pregnant and researching bed sharing I came across the massive study in the UK which was reported in the media as showing that co-sleeping was incredibly dangerous. The authors of the study actually came out and said that they'd found that the most common situation where babies had died was when mothers had been worried about falling asleep in their beds while feeding their babies so had sat on the couch to feed and had accidentally fallen asleep and their babies had been smothered in the couch cushions. In these instances, the message to not sleep with your baby had been directly responsible for these deaths.
    I found the most helpful place to get information to inform the decision to bed share or not was google scholar, as scholarly articles tend to break down the variables and risks in the way a newspaper article never will.

Thanks
    Reviews
    completely agree.

lets also ban babies from cars, prams (they have been implicated in deaths), cots (see the usa stance on drop side cots), cot mobiles, toys altogether (just makes it easier), going outside (for fear of the sun), abolish formula (all those 'unnatural additives'), bathing (chemicals in shampoo/baby wash) etc.....

lets all hide in our houses like mushrooms in the dark and 'grow' babies in a perfectly safe environment. actually, better the mums don't touch the babies at all for fear of spreading disease etc.

it's amazing how we survive as a species at all.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

meljemillie  (06-07-2012),Purple Lily  (07-07-2012),smallpotatoes  (07-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    and before anyone jumps on me my stance is that it should be up to the parent; informed, educated and following what they want to do in terms of raising their child.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast