Closed Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    They post luvmyboys made above, between 09-10 all co sleeping deaths in that county involved formula fed infants. Now we can't tell parents how to feed their babies but we can tell them where to sleep them? Wtf?
    Thats a really interesting point, I mean apparently 95% or something of women *should* be able to breast feed, but dont for whatever reason, and it's really taboo to question why, yet it's ok to crucify a woman who chooses to sleep with her baby (even though this might be the only thing keeping her sane waking 20 times a night to an unsettled baby).

Anyway, I want to read the actual findings but they are not on the Vic coroners website yet. I think in this case they are using the term 'SIDS' to also mean unexpected deaths, so including suffocation, which I agree is a very real risk to bed-sharing if done unsafely. I heard on thr news they are saying the blanket statement that it's unsafe because the message that you must only bed-share under x,y,z circumstances isn't working. The problem I think is though, that most people who make a conscious decision to bed share probably do it safely, I think it most likely affects the people choosing NOT to bed share but who fall asleep on the couch with baby etc.

Either way it's very sad, I always find it interesting that bed-sharers are fair game, yet no-one bats an eyelid at someone who sleeps their baby in their own room from a couple of weeks old, when this clearly carries risks as well.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

CluckySC  (06-07-2012),jez  (06-07-2012)

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    I think she was referring to your statement that "you can help where to put the baby to sleep". Probably most people can but if you've got a baby like mine it's either attached to me, lying next to me or lying on me. She simply doesn't sleep anywhere else. Ever.
    You can't help how you feed a baby, but you can help where a baby sleeps. 18months for your baby/toddler to have never slept anywhere but on you isn't common and I find it hard to imagine how you got anything done in all that time, I have a 3 yr old and 16month old now, for them to only sleep on me is unfathomable. But I'm assuming sids guidelines for safe co-sleeping would have been applied in your situation and why they have them. It's not bullcrap.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    More boys die of SIDS, more babies die of SIDS in winter and more babies die on weekends. Not much in SIDS guidelines to help with those.
    So how would you stop babies dying of suffocation?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Breastfed babies tend to sleep in a different position to FF babies they rouse more easily as well and BF mothers tend to not take medication that causes drowsiness or drink as much alcohol. All of these things have an impact on co sleeping practices.
    As someone said earlier Japan has the lowest SIDS rate (many co sleep, as do most Asian countries). Yet Japan has one of the lowest ff rates:
    (unless the data has changed significantly the last 6 years):

Japanese breastfeeding rates are much lower than those in other developed countries, according to various studies cited in a 2006 article in the International Breastfeeding Journal.

The comparative studies said in 2000 the full breastfeeding rate in Japan for infants aged 1 to 2 months was 44.8 percent compared to the U.S. rate of 54.7 percent at 1 month and and Sweden at 80.2 percent at 2 months.

Another study of infants aged 3 to 6 months in Nishinomiya City, Japan, found that 43.8 percent of infants were fed breast milk only. These breast-feeding rates still remain lower than the U.S. with 47 percent breastfed at 3 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I thought the guidelines were very safe before this.

Has any extra information from those 4 unfortunate deaths been revealed?

I was lucky enough to have a supportive DP who left our bed to go and co sleep with our 19 month old whilst I bed shared with my newborn twins - safely.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

CluckySC  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Bull crap.
    Great argument.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it depends on the person as well. My husband is such a heavy sleeper I would never trust him and a baby cosleeping together, if a bomb went off he wouldn't stir.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    So how would you stop babies dying of suffocation?
    http://www.sidsandkids.org/wp-conten...-with-Baby.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Are people having a go at co sleeping parents though? All I was thinking of was if there are guidelines they should be followed. This is one coroners opinion, obviously there are other opinions that should be taken into consideration as well. I don't think people should decide things just one one study or report.

I think debates like this are good, look at all those stats out of Japan - fascinating stuff.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    You can't help how you feed a baby, but you can help where a baby sleeps. 18months for your baby/toddler to have never slept anywhere but on you isn't common and I find it hard to imagine how you got anything done in all that time, I have a 3 yr old and 16month old now, for them to only sleep on me is unfathomable. But I'm assuming sids guidelines for safe co-sleeping would have been applied in your situation and why they have them. It's not bullcrap.
    I don't understand your comment about being able to chose how to feed a baby or not so I'm not responding to that.

Regarding coping with DD and sleep? Basically I went nuts. For about the first 9 months if she was awake she was either attached to me or in my arms and I had to be walking around. She didn't do swings, playgyms or anything like that. If I put her in one and would cry hysterically within seconds, even with all the reassurance in the world.

I didn't get anything done or I managed to figure out how to do things with just one hand.

We followed safe bed sharing practices, I wore a jumper in winter and blankets were kept no higher than my waist. DF has been sleeping on a blow up mattress on the floor for 2 years now.

My previous post was responding to your comment about chosing where a baby sleeps. In my case it with either next to me or not at all.

Anyway, I must go. DD is sleeping next to DF in our room and it's about time for a change of shift.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast