Closed Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Guest Guest
    This is a slight overreaction imo. You're taking it so personally when infact these guidelines and recommendations are designed to help and educate parents into safe sleeping habits, parents need to hear it and not become complacent. You may find it perfectly safe, but alot of people don't. I once fell asleep after bf my newborn and woke up with my arm covering her face, that could have been disastrous and it's upsetting to think about. No one is telling YOU what to do, but people need to realise that you can move when your asleep without realising and things can go wrong. What's so hard about putting the baby back in their cots after a feed? I had their bassinetts right next to my bed to make it easier, I never took the chance of falling asleep again.

Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Can't wait until they ban taking a baby for a ride in a car because some parents can't strap their babies in. God forbid parents make what they feel is the safest decision for their own families. The thought of cosleeping becoming illegal is down right disgusting.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

RubySunrise  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    ? If people don't hear the findings on the news, where else will they hear about it? There are people that co-sleep unsafely everynight without understanding the risks and hearing this will force them to re-assess it when otherwise they wouldn't have.
    This is an emotive topic because it's about babies dying, I'm sorry if you think it's not important enough to make the news, but I do and people should know that the coroner has made recommendations that will help change sids guidelines, this affects what we know about safe sleeping and its news worthy, not something to ignore. I personally take serious note of recommendations and to me sids victoria and the coroner are professionals and do know what they're talking about, to say otherwise is nonsense and dangerous.
    Admittedly I didn't think of the people doing unsafe things who this information might actually help - I was thinking of the parents who make the best choice for their family and do cosleep safely who are being demonised. It's the popular news I take a skeptical view towards, not guidelines for safe sleeping.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not a co-sleeper but to say others can't get under my skin we as parents have the right to do what we feel is best for our children, my sister co-slept her DS and now at 5 he will still come in and sleep in her bed and that is just as ok as my DS sleeping in his own bed and always has.
    It is not known what causes SIDS my mum tells me when I was a bub the guide lines were very different SIDS has happened both co-sleeping and not I think more guide lines are needed for safe co-sleeping!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This is a slight overreaction imo. You're taking it so personally when infact these guidelines and recommendations are designed to help and educate parents into safe sleeping habits, parents need to hear it and not become complacent. You may find it perfectly safe, but alot of people don't. I once fell asleep after bf my newborn and woke up with my arm covering her face, that could have been disastrous and it's upsetting to think about. No one is telling YOU what to do, but people need to realise that you can move when your asleep without realising and things can go wrong. What's so hard about putting the baby back in their cots after a feed? I had their bassinetts right next to my bed to make it easier, I never took the chance of falling asleep again.
    Gee I don't know why don't you try doing that every 45min-1.5 hours for 3 months and tell me why it's so hard? Do you realize in the US they are making co sleeping illegal?? What are you going to say to those mothers who like me fell into co sleeping when we get carted off for manslaughter because our child was the victim of an accident? What about those parents that choose to put their babies to sleep down the other end of the house, what happens to them when their babies die? Do they get carted off for manslaughter too?

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (06-07-2012),Busy-Bee  (06-07-2012),FutureMa  (06-07-2012),lovesushi  (06-07-2012),MrJones&Me  (06-07-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (06-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (06-07-2012)

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Japan have the lowest SIDS rate in the world, yet one of the highest cosleeping rates, at least 60% of parents cosleep.

SIDS have even said on their website that numerous studies have demonstrated that cosleeping with a non-smoking mother has no increased risk of SIDS.
    We are not only talking about unknown causes of deaths in infants which is 50% in parents beds and 50% in their cots. We're also talking about accidental suffocation which wouldn't happen had the baby been in their cots and a safe sleep environment.
    Parents need to be educated how to sleep safely, the recommendation is 'in their own cots, in your room, with no toys or obstructions' that's it. They don't know what causes sids, so they make a recommendation on what is the safest method for babies to sleep. It doesn't say in bed with mum because in Japan less babies die of sids while co-sleeping, there could be other factors involved as to why that has nothing to do with where the baby sleeps. So until they know, I would personally follow safe sleeping guidelines.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That is so upsetting about the US and co-sleeping (although not a total shock).

Talk about a nanny state.

Guest Guest
    Gee I don't know why don't you try doing that every 45min-1.5 hours for 3 months and tell me why it's so hard? Do you realize in the US they are making co sleeping illegal?? What are you going to say to those mothers who like me fell into co sleeping when we get carted off for manslaughter because our child was the victim of an accident? What about those parents that choose to put their babies to sleep down the other end of the house, what happens to them when their babies die? Do they get carted off for manslaughter too?
    Your kidding right? I had a baby attached to the breast 24/7 for 3 months so yeah I do know what that's like. Again, overreacting with your examples, but I would still tell parents to follow guidelines and that's not to put your baby down the other end of the house alone! I don't agree with that either

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We are not only talking about unknown causes of deaths in infants which is 50% in parents beds and 50% in their cots. We're also talking about accidental suffocation which wouldn't happen had the baby been in their cots and a safe sleep environment.
    Parents need to be educated how to sleep safely, the recommendation is 'in their own cots, in your room, with no toys or obstructions' that's it. They don't know what causes sids, so they make a recommendation on what is the safest method for babies to sleep. It doesn't say in bed with mum because in Japan less babies die of sids while co-sleeping, there could be other factors involved as to why that has nothing to do with where the baby sleeps. So until they know, I would personally follow safe sleeping guidelines.
    They post luvmyboys made above, between 09-10 all co sleeping deaths in that county involved formula fed infants. Now we can't tell parents how to feed their babies but we can tell them where to sleep them? Wtf?

Guest Guest
    They post luvmyboys made above, between 09-10 all co sleeping deaths in that county involved formula fed infants. Now we can't tell parents how to feed their babies but we can tell them where to sleep them? Wtf?
    No you can't help how you feed a baby, but you can help where to put the baby to sleep. Yep that's right.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    What's so hard about putting the baby back in their cots after a feed? I had their bassinetts right next to my bed to make it easier, I never took the chance of falling asleep again.
    From day 1 my DD would only sleep if she was next to me (seriously, she wouldn't even sleep in the bassinette next to my bed in hospital, every time I put her in there, she woke and cried). For about the first 12 months of her life, most nights she slept whilst attached to me. If I pulled her off or if she wasn't attached and I got out of bed she woke up. She's now 18 months old and I have recently weaned. I get up at 5:45 during the week so I can shower and breakfast before DF leaves for work. The moment I get out of bed she's awake. As I type she is currently sleeping next to DF. I'm wondering if someone could please read these findings to my DD?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast