Closed Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Surely that is no increase in SIDs - not smothering.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes absolutely. What has that got to do with the price of fish? Can babies suffocate when co-sleeping or not?

I am all for co-sleeping personally, just as I am for most other decisions parents make about kids - but surely you still need to weight up the risks? Or is there just no risk at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Babies *have* died in cots from SIDS too, that's also the truth

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Tbh after watching that news story i think ill avoid co sleeping with our next bubs as i did with DD. I could never live with myself uf something happened. But i think its up to each parent to assess the risks of their decisions

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Baburun View Post
    I don't know, whether it's cosleeping or homebirthing or anything else, the only duty of the news is to attract an audience and obtain high ratings. Which they do by sensationalising emotive topics and promoting discord amongst the general (bub hub) population...
    ? If people don't hear the findings on the news, where else will they hear about it? There are people that co-sleep unsafely everynight without understanding the risks and hearing this will force them to re-assess it when otherwise they wouldn't have.
    This is an emotive topic because it's about babies dying, I'm sorry if you think it's not important enough to make the news, but I do and people should know that the coroner has made recommendations that will help change sids guidelines, this affects what we know about safe sleeping and its news worthy, not something to ignore. I personally take serious note of recommendations and to me sids victoria and the coroner are professionals and do know what they're talking about, to say otherwise is nonsense and dangerous.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Chrysanthemum  (06-07-2012),RubySunrise  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanandBoc View Post
    Tbh after watching that news story i think ill avoid co sleeping with our next bubs as i did with DD. I could never live with myself uf something happened. But i think its up to each parent to assess the risks of their decisions

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    I agree I would never forgive myself and I would rather be safe.
    I had both kids in cots or bassinets next to my bed.
    The co sleeping message is confusing they say not to sleep with a baby if you are over tired.. Umm hello I have a newborn baby of course I am over tired.

Apparently SIDS have now updated their guidelines to not recommending sleeping in the same bed.

People say its natural but in all the things I have read it seems like the baby rarely shared the bed with the parents usually the baby was in some hammock or it's own cosy little nest next to the mother.

Anyway I Read about this a lot after DS was born and I personally came to the conclusion that it's just not a risk worth taking. I would much rather have a baby next to me in a cot. I can still see, hear, touch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will want to read the whole report before I make a judgement but historically the recommendations from these reports make a blanket statement to protect children whose parents DO NOT follow safe sleeping guidelines. There was a similar report to this a few years ago with 4 cases of co-sleeping and only one of them had no other obvious factors and realistically that baby could have died in a cot, he just happened to be in a bed.

America is statistically relevant to Aus and this report gives some perspective

The argument that in America, co-sleeping was practiced in the majority of sleep-related infant deaths is deceiving. Consider the data from Milwaukee, Wisconsin where infant mortality truly is a public health epidemic. Around 97% of all sleep-related infant deaths had multiple risk factors other than co-sleeping, and on average there were four risk factors present. Evaluating total infant mortality in the region shows that around 0.5% of deaths have co-sleeping as the only risk factor. Evidence actually suggests that an infant has a greater chance of being murdered (2.4% of cases) than die from strictly co-sleeping. It would be reasonable to conclude from this data that risk factors other than co-sleeping were the causative agent in infant deaths.
    Statistically these deaths have other contributing factors such as drug/sedative/alcohol use or unsafe practices. Safe sleeping is co-sleeping but co-sleeping is not always safe sleeping.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

Izy  (07-07-2012),trishalishous  (08-07-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Can't wait until they ban taking a baby for a ride in a car because some parents can't strap their babies in. God forbid parents make what they feel is the safest decision for their own families. The thought of cosleeping becoming illegal is down right disgusting.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

FutureMa  (06-07-2012),jez  (06-07-2012),majo  (07-07-2012),MissRose1  (07-07-2012),tormyxxx  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Can't wait until they ban taking a baby for a ride in a car because some parents can't strap their babies in. God forbid parents make what they feel is the safest decision for their own families. The thought of cosleeping becoming illegal is down right disgusting.
    (my bold) This gets under my skin too. I want to say a lot more, but I haven't got the brain power tonight.

In other words, I agree. (far out, I'm inarticulate tonight!)
    Last edited by OurLittleBlessing; 06-07-2012 at 19:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    ? If people don't hear the findings on the news, where else will they hear about it? There are people that co-sleep unsafely everynight without understanding the risks and hearing this will force them to re-assess it when otherwise they wouldn't have.
    This is an emotive topic because it's about babies dying, I'm sorry if you think it's not important enough to make the news, but I do and people should know that the coroner has made recommendations that will help change sids guidelines, this affects what we know about safe sleeping and its news worthy, not something to ignore. I personally take serious note of recommendations and to me sids victoria and the coroner are professionals and do know what they're talking about, to say otherwise is nonsense and dangerous.
    Japan have the lowest SIDS rate in the world, yet one of the highest cosleeping rates, at least 60% of parents cosleep.

SIDS have even said on their website that numerous studies have demonstrated that cosleeping with a non-smoking mother has no increased risk of SIDS.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (08-07-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    (my bold) This gets under my skin too. I want to say a lot more, but I haven't got the brain power tonight.
    Yep

First they came for the freebirthers, then they came for the homebirthers now they are coming for the bed-sharers. I wonder when they will come for the formula feeders? Frig me why can't they focus on the damage they are already creating.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast