Closed Thread
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 187
  1. #171
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,379
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked
    637
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kj2010 View Post
    I think that's a good point about the statistics. This article is interesting regarding the statistics (it's in relation to the original study that triggered the Coronial inquiry)

    "If any of these journalists [from the media reporting the findings] had modicum of mathematical aptitude they would have realised that proportion of infant deaths from co-sleeping is meaningless without knowing the proportion of infants who co-sleep (the exposure level).

    If 90% of infants co-sleep, but they only make up 45% of unexplained sleeping deaths, that is some significant evidence to show that co-sleeping could actually decrease the risk of infant sleep deaths."


    Exactly!

  2. #172
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,054
    Thanks
    269
    Thanked
    1,053
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I give up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Me too

    Me Three

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

    lambjam  (07-07-2012)

  4. #173
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    663
    Thanks
    797
    Thanked
    339
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I do know that in the "Sleepless in America" study 75% of parents admitted to bedsharing at least sometimes. I imagine the stats would be fairly similar in Australia. Certainly in these threads even those who don't support bed-sharing admit to having their baby in their bed at some point (when sick, early in the morning, etc). I don't think it's accurate that less than half of people bedshare. Reactive and occasional bedsharing is also more risky than planned bedsharing.
    Also, does anyone know if these stats include figures for co-sleeping on a couch (an incredibly dangerous thing to do)?

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

    Benji  (07-07-2012),Boobycino  (07-07-2012)

  6. #174
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,696
    Thanks
    1,391
    Thanked
    7,284
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I read many articles and watched it on the news. I don't have a photographic memory to rememver everything written in them, so if your going to quote something at least say why your posting it and what your point is. I can't read your mind.
    Just saw this now. I thought my point was pretty clear.

    Do you really need people to spell everything out for you? You know, I think you just like arguing with people sometimes.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    Alexander Beetle  (07-07-2012),FiveInTheBed  (07-07-2012)

  8. #175
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,379
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked
    637
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wrena View Post
    I do know that in the "Sleepless in America" study 75% of parents admitted to bedsharing at least sometimes. I imagine the stats would be fairly similar in Australia. Certainly in these threads even those who don't support bed-sharing admit to having their baby in their bed at some point (when sick, early in the morning, etc). I don't think it's accurate that less than half of people bedshare. Reactive and occasional bedsharing is also more risky than planned bedsharing.
    Also, does anyone know if these stats include figures for co-sleeping on a couch (an incredibly dangerous thing to do)?
    The stats would be tricky. Because of the factors that you mentioned. what proportion of time would you need to co sleep to be seen as a co sleeper?

  9. #176
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,557
    Thanked
    12,689
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Vicpark - I've noticed from a few threads that you are quite against any non 'traditional' western sleep settings ie musical beds and bed sharing. Why is it?
    Many other cultures still co sleep as it's their norm and their incidence of SIDS and suffocation is negligible. Your push to charge parents with a crime when their child dies as result of negligence should go both ways. Parents who put their newborn in a different room, ff instead of bf, or break any guideline should also be charged. Do you think that is viable?

    I'm not having a go at you- I just can't fathom the origin of your thought process.
    To answer your first question I suppose I'm of a scientific mindset not an artsy one. I like to look at facts, statistics and recommendations. I rarely go with fringe theories/trends unless I have hard evidence (stats) supporting their outcome. I require a convincing argument in order to deviate from the social norm.

    Regarding the push to charge parents. Good question. I don't necessarily believe all parents who break guidelines should be charged. It's just that in some cases the cause of the death can be explained without a shadow of a doubt (suffocation) and can be attributed purely to the parents negligence. I don't think the same can be said for ff/sleeping in a separate room etc.

  10. #177
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Just saw this now. I thought my point was pretty clear.

    Do you really need people to spell everything out for you? You know, I think you just like arguing with people sometimes.
    You didn't make a point!! You posted a line from an article, like I was supposed to know what your thoughts were from that? Don't insult me, you don't need to spell everything out for me, but at least say what your point is and don't expect people to read your thoughts.
    I like arguing because I'm asking questions and not agreeing with you? I think you should just worry about yourself.

  11. #178
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,696
    Thanks
    1,391
    Thanked
    7,284
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    You didn't make a point!! You posted a line from an article, like I was supposed to know what your thoughts were from that? Don't insult me, you don't need to spell everything out for me, but at least say what your point is and don't expect people to read your thoughts.
    I like arguing because I'm asking questions and not agreeing with you? I think you should just worry about yourself.
    Well I'm not the only one in this thread who feels like I have to spell it out. Everybody else knew what I was referring to

    I'm not insulting you. It's just an observation. This isn't the only thread I have noticed it in. Maybe you should take your own advice and just worry about yourself.

  12. #179
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    117
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    28
    Reviews
    0
    **Yawn** still going to co-sleep ( or bed-share or whatever the correct term is these days)

    So Tired of people who have read this or that and therefore must know everything.

  13. #180
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,696
    Thanks
    1,391
    Thanked
    7,284
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    To answer your first question I suppose I'm of a scientific mindset not an artsy one. I like to look at facts, statistics and recommendations. I rarely go with fringe theories/trends unless I have hard evidence (stats) supporting their outcome. I require a convincing argument in order to deviate from the social norm.
    Interesting, given your comment in another thread that you said was based on no scientific evidence/fact

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    Boobycino  (07-07-2012),headoverfeet  (07-07-2012)


 

Similar Threads

  1. *WARNING* Possible Trigger Topic - Anyone watching 60 minutes?
    By katezane in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 167
    Last Post: 21-05-2012, 10:08
  2. **Extreme Trigger Topic** 'Avoiding being raped
    By WorkingClassMum in forum Social Issues
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 19-01-2012, 13:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Babybee Prams
Save $50 in our pre-Christmas sale! All Comet's now only $500. Our bassinet & stroller set includes free shipping AUS wide, $75 free accessories, 18-months warranty & a 9 month free return policy. Check out our new designer range today!
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
GymbaROO
GymbaROO offers activities for babies & toddlers in a fun learning centre, focussing on developmental education. Classes are available Australia-wide. Enrol today & help your child to reach their full potential. Visit the website to find out more.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!