Closed Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 187
  1. #161
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I give up.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

    Hootenanny  (07-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (07-07-2012)

  3. #162
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,695
    Thanks
    1,391
    Thanked
    7,284
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    What is this and where is it from? Did the coroner use this information when making his findings and recommendations? I'm confused why you posted this.
    Did you read the article that was posted?

  4. #163
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,129
    Thanks
    5,082
    Thanked
    1,220
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I don't know what the point of just posting that sentence means and it wasn't quoted? We know babies die in cots, couches and other surfaces, I didn't see anyone say babies only die of sids while co-sleeping? Safe sleeping practices include how to safely sleep a baby in a cot. In their parents rooms, with no toys or obstructions, head uncovered, on their backs.
    So what's the point?
    Because *only* co sleeping is being demonised.

  5. #164
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I give up.
    Me too

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

    Hootenanny  (07-07-2012),lambjam  (07-07-2012)

  7. #165
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,695
    Thanks
    1,391
    Thanked
    7,284
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I don't know what the point of just posting that sentence means and it wasn't quoted? We know babies die in cots, couches and other surfaces, I didn't see anyone say babies only die of sids while co-sleeping? Safe sleeping practices include how to safely sleep a baby in a cot. In their parents rooms, with no toys or obstructions, head uncovered, on their backs.
    So what's the point?
    The title of this thread is sleeping with babies dangerous and I think that the media has focussed on cosleeping, when more babies die when not cosleeping.

    Not rocket science, I'm not sure what was so hard to understand.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    halloweendee  (07-07-2012),lambjam  (07-07-2012),lovesushi  (07-07-2012)

  9. #166
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,379
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked
    637
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    33/72 infants died while sharing a sleep surface, which equates to 45.8%, meaning that majority (54.2%) died whilst not co-sleeping!
    Ok. So what percentage of parents cosleep? Half? One quarter? Let's say 1/4 of parents co sleep. And there were 100 deaths all up. And the sample was from 10000 babies. So the total risk of death was 1%.
    So 45 children died who co slept and 55 children in cots.
    45/2500 children= relative risk of 1.8% if you co sleep.
    55/7500 children= relative risk of 0.73% if you don't co sleep.

    Now these are just numbers I pulled out of the air, but I do think that the proportion of people that co sleep is less than those who don't. But you can see that it probably is significant that almost half of babies died while co sleeping, considering that the absolute number of co sleeping babies in aus is less than half. Or maybe I'm wrong. Does anyone know or are there any stats on the proportion of parents that co sleep in aus??

    I've got nothing against co sleeping, I've done it and still do. Just wanted to point those numbers out.

  10. #167
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Did you read the article that was posted?
    I read many articles and watched it on the news. I don't have a photographic memory to rememver everything written in them, so if your going to quote something at least say why your posting it and what your point is. I can't read your mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stiflers Mom View Post
    Because *only* co sleeping is being demonised.
    So write a letter to the coroner, tell him he's wrong and he shouldn't have come to this conclusion because YOU believe co-sleeping is just as safe as his and sids recommendations of cot sleeping. I mean really, what else do you expect people to say? This was the coroners findings and it was reported.

  11. #168
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    The title of this thread is sleeping with babies dangerous and I think that the media has focussed on cosleeping, when more babies die when not cosleeping.

    Not rocket science, I'm not sure what was so hard to understand.
    The media focused on co-sleeping because the coroner made a finding and recommendations about co-sleeping. Why should they report on anything else? They weren't opinion pieces, they were reporting the coroners findings. That's not hard to understand either

  12. #169
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    371
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked
    155
    Reviews
    0
    I think that's a good point about the statistics. This article is interesting regarding the statistics (it's in relation to the original study that triggered the Coronial inquiry)

    "If any of these journalists [from the media reporting the findings] had modicum of mathematical aptitude they would have realised that proportion of infant deaths from co-sleeping is meaningless without knowing the proportion of infants who co-sleep (the exposure level).

    If 90% of infants co-sleep, but they only make up 45% of unexplained sleeping deaths, that is some significant evidence to show that co-sleeping could actually decrease the risk of infant sleep deaths."



  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1234Guest For This Useful Post:

    Hootenanny  (07-07-2012),lambjam  (07-07-2012),trishalishous  (08-07-2012),WorkingClassMum  (07-07-2012)

  14. #170
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,695
    Thanks
    1,391
    Thanked
    7,284
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    The media focused on co-sleeping because the coroner made a finding and recommendations about co-sleeping. Why should they report on anything else? They weren't opinion pieces, they were reporting the coroners findings. That's not hard to understand either
    Because the investigation covered 72 deaths, not just those cosleeping! And the coroner only focussed on 4 babies who died during cosleeping. What about the other 29 who were cosleeping?
    Last edited by BigRedV; 07-07-2012 at 20:17.


 

Similar Threads

  1. *WARNING* Possible Trigger Topic - Anyone watching 60 minutes?
    By katezane in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 167
    Last Post: 21-05-2012, 10:08
  2. **Extreme Trigger Topic** 'Avoiding being raped
    By WorkingClassMum in forum Social Issues
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 19-01-2012, 13:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Shapland Swim Schools
Shapland's at participating schools offer free baby orientation classes once a month - no cost no catches. Your baby will be introduced to our "natural effects" orientation program develop by Shapland's over 3 generations, its gentle and enjoyable.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
The Fix Program Sydney CBD and Broadway
Pregnancy and women's health physio, pregnancy and new mum Pilates classes taught by our physios for you and bub. Pregnancy back and pelvic pain. Also, we treat postnatal and women of all ages. Incontinence, prolapse, sexual and pelvic pain.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!