Closed Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I feel i was more danger to my child being exhausted and overwhelmed by insisting on having her in her own bed when she clearly wanted to be with me vs co-sleeping and both of us getting a much better sleep (and thus not being exhausted anymore).
    Different stokes for different folks. I did read up on the SIDS guidelines before i co-slept and followed them, i did it safely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    33/72 infants died while sharing a sleep surface, which equates to 45.8%, meaning that majority (54.2%) died whilst not co-sleeping!

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Benji  (07-07-2012),bumMum  (07-07-2012),CMF  (08-07-2012),FutureMa  (07-07-2012),headoverfeet  (07-07-2012),lambjam  (07-07-2012),majo  (08-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (07-07-2012)

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MothersMilk View Post
    Well we are all different and it did make me less tired, otherwise i wouldn't have bothered to co-sleep.
    Like I said, I didn't have to get up to them either, I had them in a cot beside my bed.

The coroner didn't make a direct statement saying there is a clear link between bed sharing and sids. He said:
    "Caregiver/infant sharing of a sleep surface, beds, sofas, mattresses and armchairs, increases the risk of infant death from a fatal sleep accident and may increase the risk of infant death from SIDS."
    He is very clear about possible causes of sids and possible contributing factors but does not make a clear link. He didn't say "co-sleeping is dangerous and is a cause of sids" I didn't get what you're getting from these articles.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    33/72 infants died while sharing a sleep surface, which equates to 45.8%, meaning that majority (54.2%) died whilst not co-sleeping!
    What is this and where is it from? Did the coroner use this information when making his findings and recommendations? I'm confused why you posted this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We never co-slept when dd & ds were infants, but i have had them in a cot/bassinet in the same room. I am a very heavy sleeper and so is dh, so i preferred not to have them in bed with us at a young age. Now that dd is nearly 4 I don't mind her coming into bed after dh goes to work.. it's our special time, and i'm more comfortable with the fact she's alot bigger, so im not worried about the whole deep sleeping as much.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    He is very clear about possible causes of sids and possible contributing factors but does not make a clear link. He didn't say "co-sleeping is dangerous and is a cause of sids" I didn't get what you're getting from these articles.
    The four cases he examined were babies who died from SIDS while co-sleeping. His conclusion was that co-sleeping was inherently dangerous. What further link do you need?
    Last edited by lambjam; 07-07-2012 at 18:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    What is this and where is it from? Did the coroner use this information when making his findings and recommendations? I'm confused why you posted this.
    It is part of the report, it was in my previous link to The Age article

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    The four cases he examined were babies who died from SIDS while co-sleeping. His conclusion was that co-sleeping was inherently dangerous. What further link do you need?
    Oh boy. They didn't just look at these 4 deaths to make the recommendations. They looked at many factors that included sleep accidents.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyboys View Post
    It is part of the report, it was in my previous link to The Age article
    I don't know what the point of just posting that sentence means and it wasn't quoted? We know babies die in cots, couches and other surfaces, I didn't see anyone say babies only die of sids while co-sleeping? Safe sleeping practices include how to safely sleep a baby in a cot. In their parents rooms, with no toys or obstructions, head uncovered, on their backs.
    So what's the point?