Closed Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyboys View Post
    I don't know which one is the fool, the coroner or the reporter, whoever decided to make a blanket statement that co-sleeping was dangerous without providing all the facts. I tend to think it is more the reporter/commentators as the coroners report would provide the context needed to make a real judgement.
    It's not a blanket statement. The news reports I've read give direct quotes from the coroner and sidsandkids representative, the reporter didn't give his/her opinion on anything I've read.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    It's not a blanket statement. The news reports I've read give direct quotes from the coroner and sidsandkids representative, the reporter didn't give his/her opinion on anything I've read.
    It's a blanket statement to say "co-sleeping is dangerous" rather than "co-sleeping while drunk, overweight, with doonas etc is dangerous".

If there are safe ways to co-sleep, then co-sleeping per se is not dangerous.

And there's more than one way to give an opinion... it doesn't have to be explicit, the act of choosing which information is shared and which is not is more than enough.
    Last edited by lambjam; 07-07-2012 at 16:38.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (07-07-2012),headoverfeet  (07-07-2012),Hootenanny  (07-07-2012),smallpotatoes  (07-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes they were direct quotes 'out of context' the article should have said what the other factors were, was the environment 'safe', were the parents intoxicated/drugged etc

Guest Guest
    "I am satisfied sharing a sleep surface with an infant is an inherently dangerous activity," he said in the Victorian Coroners Court on Friday.
    "Caregiver/infant sharing of a sleep surface, beds, sofas, mattresses and armchairs, increases the risk of infant death from a fatal sleep accident and may increase the risk of infant death from SIDS."
    Despite the risks, Mr Olle said many parents were unaware of the dangers or received inconsistent or inaccurate information on how their baby should sleep.
    The coroner also said he was aware his findings could prove controversial and be viewed as anti-breastfeeding.
    But he agreed with expert opinion provided to the investigation that sharing a bed with a baby while breastfeeding did not put the child at risk, provided they are returned to a cot for sleeping.
    Mr Olle found babies should sleep on their back in a cot in the same room as their parents for the first six to 12 months of life.
    This type of room sharing has been found to be protective against the risk of SIDS, he said.
    Mr Olle recommended health professionals provide consistent and clear messages on the risks of co-sleeping to parents before and after the birth of a child.
    He also said the Department of Health and the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development should align their health promotion advice with the existing SIDSandKids policy.
    That policy says babies should sleep on their backs with their head uncovered, in their own cot, but in the same room as their parents for the first six to 12 months.
    SIDSandKids bereavement services coordinator Jill Greene said about 30 babies died from sleeping accidents or SIDS in Victoria each year and parents must know the risks of co-sleeping.
    So basically they're wrong, they should have said its safe if you follow xyz and the news reports should have included why and how they came to the conclusion so you can make your own judgement
    Whatever, this is going round in circles, I'd prefer to take the advice from the experts and not a mum who needs validation for their choice to co-sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And here is more a balanced and informative report of the findings
    http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/co...706-21mn4.html

Although the cause of the deaths remained unexplained, Mr Olle said a growing body of evidence suggested co-sleeping was risky. Sharing of a sleep surface - beds, sofas, mattresses and armchairs - increased the risk of infant death ''from a fatal sleep accident, and may increase the risk of infant death from SIDS'', he wrote in his finding.
    The investigation stemmed from a Coroners Prevention Unit study of 72 infant deaths involving sleep between 2008 and 2010, which found 33 occurred while the infant was sharing a sleep surface.Babies under four months and those sleeping with a pillow nearby were most likely to have died.Other significant risk factors included an exhausted mother, an obese person, a smoker or someone influenced by drugs or alcohol, although deaths did occur in the absence of any of these factors.

It recommended that until more definitive research was done, ''conservative risk management practices'' were required

My bold

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyboys View Post
    And here is more a balanced and informative report of the findings
    http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/co...706-21mn4.html

My bold
    Your bold what? The infants died while bed sharing. Unexplained deaths would be sids.

Babies under four months and those sleeping with a pillow nearby were most likely to have died.
    Other significant risk factors included an exhausted mother, an obese person, a smoker or someone influenced by drugs or alcohol, although deaths did occur in the absence of any of these factors.
    The unit also found that the vast majority of parents who lost babies had been sleeping with them habitually before the deaths, and that advice to parents by government and non-government organisations varied, with only some advising against it.
    It recommended that until more definitive research was done, ''conservative risk management practices'' were required.
    In his finding, Mr Olle said the state government should adopt the SIDS and Kids recommendation that babies sleep in their own safe sleeping environment next to their parent's bed for the first six to 12 months of life.
    He also called for the government to ensure carers repeatedly gave pregnant women and new parents detailed advice.
    which is what you asked for

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/co...#ixzz1zuy29oUU

Guest Guest
    I'm also going to now assume none of you are smokers, exhausted, obese or take drugs or alcohol before you bed share.

Thanks
    Reviews
    which is what you asked for
    And which I got with a report different to the one the OP posted and others have been commenting on

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Your bold what? The infants died while bed sharing. Unexplained deaths would be sids.
    Which we know occurs in cots too. So co-sleeping is a risk factor for SIDS, and not co-sleeping is a risk factor for SIDS... Ahhhh, sleeping is a risk factor for SIDS!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (07-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    although deaths did occur in the absence of any of these factors.

And deaths did occur in cots............