Closed Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyboys View Post
    I think to help reduce the incidence of SIDS and/or accidental suffocation the message needs to change to be more realistic and they need to stop thinking parents are morons who won't understand the difference between unsafe co-sleeping and safe co-sleeping if they are given information.
    They are given information? There are guidelines to safe sleeping in a cot and in your bed, what is so unrealistic about it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I also think the guidelines are realistic and they don't think parents are morons. They have found ways to decrease the incidences of sids, I don't think there's really a way to tiptoe around it when there are lives at stake.

I think the guidelines are extremely straightforward, a lot of people deliberately ignore them though And there are guides on safe cosleeping.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Chrysanthemum  (07-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Vicpark - I've noticed from a few threads that you are quite against any non 'traditional' western sleep settings ie musical beds and bed sharing. Why is it?
    Many other cultures still co sleep as it's their norm and their incidence of SIDS and suffocation is negligible. Your push to charge parents with a crime when their child dies as result of negligence should go both ways. Parents who put their newborn in a different room, ff instead of bf, or break any guideline should also be charged. Do you think that is viable?

I'm not having a go at you- I just can't fathom the origin of your thought process.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (07-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    They are given information? There are guidelines to safe sleeping in a cot and in your bed, what is so unrealistic about it?
    Yes there is information there if you go LOOKING for it, why will people look for it if the message in the media is that co-sleeping is dangerous.

ETA The realistic quote was in regards to what actually happens, that parents do get exhausted, that it is not always realistic to say that they will breastfeed and then put their baby into a cot, instead of encouraging them not to co-sleep they would be better off promoting the safe way to do it.
    Last edited by Hootenanny; 07-07-2012 at 16:02.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyboys View Post
    Yes there is information there if you go LOOKING for it, why will people look for it if the message in the media is that co-sleeping is dangerous.
    When you have a baby your taught by nurses and given fact sheets about safe sleeping that follow sids guidelines. People don't have to go looking for it or learn about sids guidelines through the media?

Guest Guest
    Someone was charged with manslaughter for not having adequate pool fencing. I think it'd be hard to prove with your example VicPark but it wouldn't be far off and I agree it is negligent on their part if their baby died because they were off their head and cbfed moving their baby off their bed.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Vicpark - I've noticed from a few threads that you are quite against any non 'traditional' western sleep settings ie musical beds and bed sharing. Why is it?
    Many other cultures still co sleep as it's their norm and their incidence of SIDS and suffocation is negligible. Your push to charge parents with a crime when their child dies as result of negligence should go both ways. Parents who put their newborn in a different room, ff instead of bf, or break any guideline should also be charged. Do you think that is viable?

I'm not having a go at you- I just can't fathom the origin of your thought process.
    Glad it's not just me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    When you have a baby your taught by nurses and given fact sheets about safe sleeping that follow sids guidelines. People don't have to go looking for it or learn about sids guidelines through the media?
    Not once did I receive that information, the only thing related to SIDS is that they told me I couldn't sleep with baby in bed with me in hospital. Not a shred of info.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Many other cultures still co sleep as it's their norm and their incidence of SIDS and suffocation is negligible.
    Many other cultures who still co sleep as the norm also don't have the same level of reporting of SIDS or indeed any deaths. They may also have higher rates of deaths due to other causes such as vaccine preventable diseases and unclean water supplies. I'm not saying it is false, but I do think this assertion needs to be considered in the wider context.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What fool are you talking about? The coroner came to this conclusion and sids and kids victoria support it. Are you suggesting these people are fools and should ignore the findings and guidelines?
    I don't know which one is the fool, the coroner or the reporter, whoever decided to make a blanket statement that co-sleeping was dangerous without providing all the facts. I tend to think it is more the reporter/commentators as the coroners report would provide the context needed to make a real judgement.