Closed Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ignorance makes me sad.

I cbf to reply properly, but suffice to say we bed share. My midwife profided me with peer reviewed articles on the benefits of bed sharing (without me asking, without knowing we already do it, to encourage us to consider it). Ill take the evidence before ill take some sensationalised media coverage of any topic.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    SIDS has come up with absolutely no concrete evidence or info in how many decades as to why SIDS occurs.
    They, based on thorough research, have come up with a series of very strong correlations... Which led to recommendations which have dramatically reduced SIDS over the 'many decades.'. Coincidence? I think not. They must be somewhat close to the mark.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    They, based on thorough research, have come up with a series of very strong correlations... Which led to recommendations which have dramatically reduced SIDS over the 'many decades.'. Coincidence? I think not. They must be somewhat close to the mark.
    Has the SIDS rate actually reduced or has our research weeded out other causes of death better as technology has improved?

Of course as education about safe sleep practices has improved (and continues to improve) obviously there is going to be a gradual decrease but has there been a massive decrease at all? I have a feeling all the best sleep practices in the world won't stop SIDS eventually it will plateau.
    Last edited by headoverfeet; 07-07-2012 at 10:12.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ok I googled and found this PDF from the SIDS website http://www.sidsandkids.org/wp-conten...r2003_0021.pdf no stats between 2000-now at all?? Seems a bit slack given they have the 2x 10 year blocks before that. Also interesting to note they don't have any stats up on the location where the SIDS occurred or how the baby was fed given the guidelines you would think they would provide parents with the chance to see stats on these.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the final words on that article sum it up for me. Parents sometimes take their children to bed them due to exhaustion and as a last resort. I don't believe this is safe. We live in a culture where most mothers formula feed, we have a high rate of obesity, we sleep with doonas and pillows and fluffy mattresses, and a lot are on medication.nit's not a good combo.

Most of my friends who co-sleep do so after researching it and it's very well thought out, planned and educated. To me, this is safer than having a baby sleeping inhis or her own room at the other end of the house.

I have lost a family member and friends bubs to sids, for me the best option is baby sleeping on his own surface but in my room where I can hear him.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Chrysanthemum  (07-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    Why on earth was I quoted for this? I said nothing about banning co sleeping, i did it myself!
    Sorry, I didn't mean to pick on your post, but you so nicely summed up the ideas being thrown about in this thread that I am having trouble with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    They do warn parents about safe sleeping in cots and guidelines are provided for that.
    Yes, they also provide guidelines on what to avoid while co-sleeping to reduce the risks. As they have done with cot sleeping, so you point out. So why is everyone still banging on about co-sleeping? I don't see everyone waggling their fingers at cot-sleeping and saying "there are risks, therefore you shouldn't do it, therefore you are irresponsible".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    knowing that I got to wake my baby when he stopped breathing in the night for no known reason BECAUSE he was in my bed, means for me, co-sleeping saved my baby's life.

Everything is relevant. Everything needs to be assessed on the evidence given and your own situation. Black and white judgements that all co-sleeping is dangerous can be damaging. In the exact same way that assuming that co-sleeping has no risks is also damaging.

But I do ask this... If young people are highly represented in deaths from motor vehicle accidents, should we assume that it's their age that is the risk factor and therefore extrapolate that middle age drivers are safe? Or is it more important to expand our research to know if alcohol, drugs, fatigue, poor vehicle maintenance, low experience etc were also contributing factors.
    If you're with me on wanting to know all contributing factors rather than just issue blanket statements than you'll want to do the same thing about co-sleeping and sids.
    Let's look at ALL the risk factors rather than just one thing that these four tragedies had in common.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

jez  (07-07-2012),smallpotatoes  (07-07-2012),wrena  (07-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    They do warn parents about safe sleeping in cots and guidelines are provided for that.
    They also provide guidelines for safe co-sleeping see more below

As for your ff comment, many formula feeding parents are told they're putting their babies at risk for not bf, it doesn't go untold. People on bubhub make sure of that
    Which is related to my comment how?

So far from reading the other thread, most people fell into co-sleeping because it was easier, not because it was safer. They don't know what causes sids which is why they have safe sleeping guidelines, and they obviously think there is a link with those who bed share and have made a new warning against it. I'd personally rather take that advice then anyones here, I don't think you know something they don't.
    They have issued a blanket statement which does not take into account the difference between an educated co-sleeper and an uneducated one to minimise the overall risk.
    One of the issues is 'reactive co-sleepers' as they do not plan to co-sleep and when they do it can be much more dangerous as they are uneducated on the risk factors and do not have a well prepared environment. I think that personally you should take their advice, doesn't mean an educated co-sleeper has to .

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (07-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Yes, they also provide guidelines on what to avoid while co-sleeping to reduce the risks. As they have done with cot sleeping, so you point out. So why is everyone still banging on about co-sleeping? I don't see everyone waggling their fingers at cot-sleeping and saying "there are risks, therefore you shouldn't do it, therefore you are irresponsible".
    Exactly. Also I thought someone said earlier in this thread that they have changed their view on co sleeping since this finding?

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post