+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks Everyone,

I tried calling all the drs in the area but all are full we have a walk in centre but I have quite serious issues with drs so a walk in centre is my worst nightmare.

DH thinks that we can wait until tomorrow and if at any time I feel anxious we'll take her to the ED (we are 10 mins up the rd to the best kids hospital in the state), in the mean time i'll be giving her nurofan and not sleeping (though thats nothing unusual at the moment)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've just got one of those oil column heaters, you can get them at pretty much any department store like big w etc.
    I think croup can be an indicator of asthma which I'm worried about too gosh it must be horrible hearing that cough come out of a tiny newbie, at least my DS is 2.5!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD gets croup every year and its a nightmare. Unfortunately, in her case, it looks like she is developing asthma too. When she first got it years ago we were told to use steam, and it never helped at all, so I'm not surprised to hear its now officially avoided.

The only thing that helps DD is medication. Its very scary when they have an attack. I hope it clears up quickly for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks FearlessLeader and MissMuppet big to you both. It is so scary, it was scary listening to DD1 let alone DD2.

MissMuppet about the asthma i remember having it as a child and it was so scary, thankfully I grew out of it.

So after reading the kids hospital website I am going to monitor till we can get to the dr tomorrow if she gets worse I'll be taking her in as she is still quite her normal self when not coughing. And off to find an oil heater

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just thought I'd let you know I ended up bringing her to the hospital as she had a coughing fit and couldn't catch her breath. So here we are, they've given her steroids and now we're waiting to see a dr. I have never been so scared in my life when she couldn't catch her breath :'( I'm still so scared don't think I'll be sleeping for the next few days

Thanks
    Reviews
    Big hugs. It truly is a terrifying experience. Both DD and I have trouble sleeping for days after a bad croup experience for fear it will happen again.

The steroids work like magic for us, hopefully your DD will be breathing easy again very soon too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks MissMuppet, yep I don't think I'll be sleeping for the next week. Thankfully we co sleep (as in she sleeps right next to me in the bassinet) so fingers crossed worst case I'm asleep and she stirs I'll hear.

The steroids have made a difference though she still seems a bit off but no where what she was like so fingers crossed she keeps improving plus we've just given her nuerofan for the night (though the doc said it has worst side effects than panadol - but it's all we have :S) so hopefully her throat won't be so sore

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dd is prone to croup. Some kids just are. First bout was when she was 3 months old. I have some advice. Hope it helps.
    Get an oil heater. They don't dry out the air. Quite affordable too.
    Get the steroids asap when the cough begins. Go to ED if in doubt.
    Nurofen is good but paracetamol is just as good imo and I'm reluctant to use nurofen with my kids.
    You can make breastmilk icypoles for bub to suck on to cool the throat.
    Don't use steam.
    Go for a walk in the night air. Keep baby warm still though. This is the old remedy for croup and it does help.
    Avoid letting your baby cry or get worked up.. its really hard but I basically just kept dd attached to me and fed her frequently. Crying aggravates croup.
    Good luck. It will pass. We had to stay overnight and dd needed a second dose of steroids once because her strider didn't clear up completely within 12 hours. So if in doubt do go back again.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So sorry you had to take her to ED, but glad she got the steroids!!!
    As for the nurofen/panadol, it's a tough call with a young bub and I do tend to steer clear when they're that little, but honestly I was giving panadol to my DD2 last week and it did nothing, gave her nurofen at night and she got 4.5hours straight no coughing!!!! But as always you know your bub and what's best for your family
    Hope you managed some sleep last night.
    Did you get a script for predmix?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It is terrifying, but don't worry with the steroids she'll be back to her normal self soon! When my DD had it for the first time at 18mths they had recommended the steam at the ED but by the time she was 2 they were telling us it was ineffective, and for her it was. Later I was told to bundle her up and talk a little walk in the cool night air- that seemed to help a little. We were also told the room she slept in should not be below 18degrees.

We were told that croup could not be linked to asthma as croup affects the upper respiratory system, voice box and wind pipe, and asthma the lower respiratory system.
    Although through work having contact w/ kids seems that kids who have asthma seem more prone to croup- but I could be wrong!
    DD hasn't had croup now for 2yrs, was told she would most likely grow out of it by 7ish. She never has had asthma.
    Usually lasts about 3 days, the nights are always the worst! Hope ur all better soon!