+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 4 Month Old Croup - any advice please

Hi Girls ,

DD2 has just started with the barking cough DD1 was diagnosed with Croup last week and it appears not matter the amount of separating / sanitising / cleaning I did to try to prevent this DD2 has caught it

We are going to the doctors tomorrow as we can't get into the dr we normally see today so am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to make it better for her until we can get some medication.

We are in a very old style double brick (read - very fing cold) 50's style bungalow with heating in one room, we have a heater (radiant fan - I think ) in our bedroom (we are co sleeping - but not bed sharing) but it never seems to warm it up (the joys of high ceilings).

I wish we could bed share with her to help keep her warm however we have had some extremely bad nights sleep the past week so I don't think that'd be an option as both DH and I are both sleep deprived and don't feel it's safe to do so.

So was just wondering what I could do to help her I'm such a stress head second time around and this is just tipping me over the edge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Take her into the bathroom and shut the door, run the shower hot and let her breathe in the steam, that should help, what about a vaporiser ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks will do that once I have had my shower (so I don't have a cold one lol!) We have a vaporiser but it cracked it on us second use (started with a burning smell) so need to take it back tomorrow as well

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Firstly you can't catch croup, it develops in each individual, so don't feel bad that Dd2 got it too as that's just purely bad luck, most would have just got a cold, or whatever the original virus was. Secondly, Drs are now suggesting you NOT use steam for croup symptoms. Best thing to do is keep her as warm, calm and pain free as possible, so nurofen will do the trick for the last 2. Could you go and buy a little oil heater? They're cheap enough and they work really well. If her breath gets that husky raspy sound take her straight to ED. Poor you, DS has now had his 4th bout of croup for the year this week. It's no fun at all.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (06-07-2012),MissMuppet  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Someone else posted a link from royal children's hospital stating NOT to use any form of steam therapy. Tests have gone on to prove it offers no benefit and it could make it worse. I'll try linking the info but have a quick search as I'm on my phone so not sure how I'll go. I would be going to any dr I could in the mean time. My DD2 has just had it and was on steroids and a few other things (she is almost 2.5 though) nurofen helped greatly with the night coughing as its an anti inflammatory but please see a dr before taking mine and others advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks fearless!!! I'm now freaked when ppl start suggesting steam!!! Because it's what I used to do too, I've even had GPs tell me too :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just been through this last week with my 8 month old. My advise would be to take them to a doctor even if it isn't your usual doctor as soon as you can because once they get the steroid medication it seems to work almost immediately. Until then nurofen and a vaporizer worked for me

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pooks View Post
    Thanks fearless!!! I'm now freaked when ppl start suggesting steam!!! Because it's what I used to do too, I've even had GPs tell me too :/
    I wouldn't stress, they used to suggest it for years, so it probably doesn't really hurt, it probably just didn't help much. I've heard Drs suggest it in the past too, it really is quite a new development.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks FL, your poor DS it isn't fun at all

Okay so I won't steam up the shower and will just get a refund for the vaporiser. Will try to keep her warm and calm and pain free, I've got the heater running in the lounge room and in our bedroom so hopefully that with some layers will keep her warm (but then I worry about over heating :S) I will give her Nurofen to help also. Will look into oil heaters (stupid questions is there a particular type or just any oil heather?).

Will definitely take her into ED if she gets the husky voice.

Another silly questions - can Croup be an indicator at all for Childhoold Asthma? DD1 only got croup for the first time this year but am worried about DD2 as apparently I had croup a lot when little and then I was diagnosed with severe childhood asthma :S

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow sorry
    It's been quite a few years since I've dealt with croup and that is what I was told at the time.
    Guess you learn something new every day.
    Op I hope your little ones feel better soon xx