+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dd is 5 and at school and she does 1 dancing lesson a week on Wednesdays. She also does the occasional horse riding lesson on the weekends but hasn't gone for a couple of months......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This year the girls do activities twice a week. One weeknight and a Saturday but DD2 also has Choir at school one morning a week and Bollywood Dancing one lunch time.

But our one weeknight is super busy. DD1 helps out at gymnastics from 5pm to 6pm and also sometimes from 6pm to 7pm as well. DD3 has her class 6pm to 7pm and then DD1 & DD3 are 7pm to 8:30pm.

Then Saturdays DD2 & DD3 have swimming first. DD3 8am to 8:45am and DD2 8:30am to 9am. Then DD1 & DD2 have gymnastics. At the moment its DD1 at 10:30am to 12:30pm (but after the State competitions DD2 will be joining in) and then DD1 & DD2 for Team Gym 1pm to 3pm. Then they help pack up. So, Saturdays are pretty much booked out for them each week.

DD3 was doing an extra swimming class each week on a weeknight but she kept getting sick so that doesn't work during winter.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Thanks for the replies

Just some follow up thoughts, what makes an activity 'too much'? Do you think it depends on the child? On the activity? On other commitments?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Thanks for the replies

Just some follow up thoughts, what makes an activity 'too much'? Do you think it depends on the child? On the activity? On other commitments?
    All of the above. I know for me and my family one activity per child is enough...otherwise it gets too stressful. This may change as they get older but if they all choose a different after school activity we're already out of the house three afternoon's a week. Add uni and a husband who works long hours so it's all on me to do to the activities, get homework done, dinner, organise the next day and once they're in bed I need to study for uni it's more than enough.
    The child also plays a part...my kids would not cope with more than one activity a week...not at their ages. They're incapable of catching up on sleep when they're tired and they love their free play. They just burn out if they get too overloaded. My oldest was doing Tae Kwan Do two nights a week last year (cause that's what you paid for and it was close to home so I could drop her off and pick her up so it wasn't too much of a hassle with everything else) and she quit at the end of the year after a couple of months of complaining that she just wanted to stay home and play, even though she enjoyed herself when she got there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it comes down to how they're coping with the rest of life. Are they exhausted all the time? Crabby at home? Struggling with their schoolwork? It's a pretty individual thing.

My oldest DS is 5 and has just started soccer one night a week. Right now my policy is one activity per child, but that's just because it's what I think my kids can handle. That may change as they get older and have a wider range of interests.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think all of the above.

It depends on the child and the activity. Some activities are just 30mins to 1hour while others might be 3-4 hours.

It depends on siblings as well. If one child is doing an activity then it's only fair that the others get to do something too. Then even if it's the same activity they wont necessarily be at the same time. DD2 only just moved into DD1's gymnastics class this year while DD3 (DD2's twin) is in the class before them. A couple of years ago our twins were both in the 5pm-6pm class, then we had a break and then DD1 was 7pm to 8:30pm. Or the sibling might choose an activity that is on a different day or maybe they will have a training day and a game day.

Some activities might be just around the corner or only a few minutes drive while others are further away.

Then there are the clashes where you are basically left to choose one over the other or seperate yourselves if its for different children. DD1 has a friend who had to choose one thing over the other due to clashes with competitions. One is a group thing so that had to be chosen over her gymnastics. This mean't she was unable to compete in any competitions so far this year for gymnastics. She is super busy and running from one thing to the next some days but she loves it. But she is an only child. It would be way too hard to do all the running around they do for more than one child unless they were doing the same things at the same time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think being obessed with one activity is better than having a few activities. And it is kind of nice to see them passionate about something.

Having no homework makes a difference too. Sometimes my girls have so much homework it's hard even with only 1 weekday where we are too busy to look at it.

It does make a difference when they are older though not to be doing too much. We have had a huge improvement in DD1's grades this year (not that they were bad before). She hasn't been doing anything different schoolwork wise, she just isn't as busy. She still does gymnastics but dropped swimming and stopped looking at doing other things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD goes to day care 1-2 days per week and kindy 2 1/2 days per week. She does swimming, dancing and gymnastics - 1 of each per week during term. Friday is a kindy day and she also goes into before/after school care on that day, then I pick her up and take her to 1hr gymnastics and when we get in the car after that she always asks where we're going next/can we go to the shops/visit a friend etc.

It's up to the individual child and family what is too much. For DD I think she doesn't have a 'too much' she has so much energy. I know once we have another child things will need to change so I enjoy giving her the chance to try lots of things until then and hope by that stage she will have an idea of what she likes best.