+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Misbehaving 2 year old

My two year old DD has been misbehaving very bad lately. It started about two weeks ago. She gets into everything rips everything out and when I tell her no or yell at her for it she slake cupboards throws things around or a main one is flip her little table and chairs over and throws them around. Putting her to bed is difficult too. She is in a tiddler bed and she just does nothing that she is told. Would love any advice at all. Shes getting very difficult to handle at times.

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    MINE TOO!!

Feels like were taking one step forward and two steps back.

I'll tell you what I do but keep in mine it only works sometimes.

*I don't yell at her (unless she's in danger) & I don't tolerate her yelling at me. I say "don't yell at mummy, mummy doesn't yell at you, it's rude! Ask nicely". Sometimes she says 'sorry mummy' & all is forgiven. Sometimes she keeps yelling so she goes in time out (playpen) for 2 minutes.

*I dont tolerate throwing anything but balls I tell her "stop throwing things/it's dangerous/mummy's scared/you might hurt me/you/dad/play nicely. Sometimes she listens. Sometimes she goes in the pen for 2 minutes.

if her behavior has been REALLY bad all morning/afternoon, I try distracting her for 10 mins to calm her down/cheer her up, then praise EVERY SINGLE GOOD THING she does for a while. Standing still quietly/sitting still/playing quietly etc "GOODGIRL! Good girl playing quietly' this one works great with her & encourages good behaviour but you have to snap them out of the tanty long enough to make the 'switch'

When were out I 'hold' her if she naughty. On my lap, facing away. For 2 mins. She hates being restrained.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ill have to try some of these. She just pushes me further and further each day. We have tried to cut out her sugars in her foods and drinks and it seemed to work for about a week than she just went bad again. Smacking her doesn't even work. I used to have a system with her where I would count to three and if she didn't stop than shed get a smack or go to bed. Or three times for me to say no and that was working well than it just stopped.

Shopping with her absalutly terrible. She climbs out of her pram and if she walks she runs off on me. Im going to try and start time outs and see how they go.
    Thank you (:

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am also having a hard time with my 2.5 yr old. She is starting to hit and throw things. And trying to get her to bed is a nightmare!!! But my dh has been working away the last few months so I'm wondering if that is part of the problem for us.
    OP my dd was a pain to take to the shops but since i started giving her two warnings that if she doesn't stop misbehaving we will go home she is a dream to take into town.
    So I now give her two warnings and on the third i pick her up and stop what we are doing and just take her home and explain to her why we are leaving.
    If only I knew what to do at home..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I started the 1, 2 ,3 magic routine with DS when he was 18 months old. It took a few wakes for him to catch on, but now at 2,5yo he's doing quite well with this disciplining.
    He is a smart @rse though. He will just copy me when I am counting.....: "Z! That is one!"........ "Mummy! That is one!".
    It doesn't deter me one bit. Once I get to 3 he goes into time out and that's it.

However, in the last 6 months he's had 3 episodes of turning absolutely feral for a few weeks at a time.
    I found that each time this happened, he was actually having a developmental growth spurt.
    He will suddenly turn back to his own happy self again and will have gained new social skills, new physical skills like bike riding, new words, etc.

DS also used to throw his toys or other items when he got angry and I was/am very very strict with this. When he threw a toy or other item, I would take his most beloved toy and put it in my room til the next morning.
    In the morning, I put his confiscated toys back into his playroom without mentioning anything again.
    After 2 weeks of this, he would put his arm (with ammunition) in the air as if he was about to throw something and then would look at me to check if I was watching or not. If I was watching, he immediately put the ammunition down. If I wasn't watching and he threw something, I only had to frown at him and he would come running to me to say sorry.

He hasn't thrown anything for at least 3-4 weeks now.