+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    People who wonder what SAHMs do all day - do you also wonder what childcare workers do all day? And Nannies? The lady across the road does Family Day Care. She looks after 3 kids. Do you wonder what she does, or just mums looking after kids?
    Great point

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (05-07-2012),headoverfeet  (05-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Meh I can't stand FB whingers. I don't care if they are whinging about their kids, work or the weather. It's annoying.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkleFi View Post
    If you think that getting up before the sun every day to get everything ready for daycare and work, then getting home at 5pm and having to fit dinner, baths and bedtimes in before 7pm is a break, then you should definitely start looking for a job! Lol....
    This is where things get hairy. I'm a sahm, I'm up before the sun every day and I don't finish until late at night either and then I'm woken up 4-5 times a night by my various children who cosleep with me. I think the person you quoted meant a break from being in constant physical contact with her children, I know sometimes I would just love to go to the loo alone once or twice a day or to have a hot cup of tea without having to get up 50 times every single time, yanno that sort of thing

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (05-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (05-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes you sahm's are probably up at 5am and to bed late like us. Difference is you get to spend your day with your kids and I get to spend my days writing posts on BH and wishing I was with my kids. And its NOT an option for me now- I am so pleased being a SAHM is an option for you however. My ex husband was an *****hole and piffled our money away and was under the impression it was HIS money not ours and that if I wanted a baby I would have to pay for it. So I worked until a few days before DS was born and went back at about 5 months old. Needless to say when DS was 1 I left his sorry ar*se. DP is a very decent wage earner but owns his own business so gets no leave etc and we own two properties YES our choice. We CAN afford to live on one income but I like to be able to contribute as well. I can't WAIT to be a SAHM for 12 months come October!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkleFi View Post
    If you think that getting up before the sun every day to get everything ready for daycare and work, then getting home at 5pm and having to fit dinner, baths and bedtimes in before 7pm is a break, then you should definitely start looking for a job! Lol....
    Well I did work for a year when I had 2 kids that never slept at night we had an orchard so worked between 5-7 days a week which was 30min away and started at 6 so I was up at 4 every morning and didn't get home til 6.30 every night I was lucky as my mil had that year off work so could look after the kids for us so didn't have to pay for child care yes it was hard and hard work as well BUT it was also a break when I was there. I love being a sahm but also loved working for that year and id never complain about either as I feel very blessed to have experienced both. So yes I do no what it's like to get up at a rediculous hr everyday

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    This is where things get hairy. I'm a sahm, I'm up before the sun every day and I don't finish until late at night either and then I'm woken up 4-5 times a night by my various children who cosleep with me. I think the person you quoted meant a break from being in constant physical contact with her children, I know sometimes I would just love to go to the loo alone once or twice a day or to have a hot cup of tea without having to get up 50 times every single time, yanno that sort of thing
    Yes thank you that is what I did mean. As I'm not one to say one person has it harder then the other I was just saying that it is wrong to say all sahm can choose to work or stay at home as sometimes it's simply not true.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefulmama2b View Post
    Yes you sahm's are probably up at 5am and to bed late like us. Difference is you get to spend your day with your kids and I get to spend my days writing posts on BH and wishing I was with my kids.
    As hard as it would be being away from your kids thats the point that i think a PP was trying to make. You get a break from looking after your children. SAHM's dont and its damn exhausting too!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (05-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I find the word "break" when being used to describe work ironic. I don't see it as a break at all. I have my breaks when DP cares for DS and I can go out and do somethng I enjoy. I think telling mums their break is work is as offensive as saying a SAHMs break is while her husband (or mums at work) are working.

Motherhood is tough.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

CharlieBug  (05-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (05-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think all that was being said is that you get a break from your children. Not that work in itself is a break and not hard yakka

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (05-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes but as you can see from posts, most working mums would do anything to BE with their kids. They don't want a "break" from them. I am on holidays and for me, with only one child, it is a MASSIVE break. I could never dream of telling my friends their role of being a SAHM is a break.

I don't want a break from my son to be at work It is not a break It used to tear me up inside when he was younger. Crying in the car on the way to work - lucky me!

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (05-07-2012),MissMuppet  (05-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (05-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (05-07-2012),WorkingClassMum  (05-07-2012)