+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiekitty View Post
    You went back to work when your baby was 12 weeks. I found my babies easy at that age.
    You've obviously never been a fulltime SAHM to 2 toddlers
    Her ticker also says she only has one. If I only had one I wouldn't know what to do with myself the whole day either.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

austmum  (05-07-2012),CMF  (05-07-2012),Guest1234  (05-07-2012),headoverfeet  (05-07-2012),Lillynix  (05-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    My DH often calls Facebook 'whingebook' because so many posts seem to be a whinge about something or other.
    I think this is very true. I have to admit, i can kind of understand in part where the OP is coming from. I know a few SAHM's (3 or 4) who haven't worked for years, that continually update their FB status's saying how hard everything is. Some of them update their FB status 3 or 4 times a day, and check into places all day long and i wonder if you are so busy and tired, why do you have so much time to be on fb. Or sometimes i talk to them and all they do is whinge. It's probably like everything, only a select few who do not represent the majority of SAHMs.

I know a lot of SAHMs who love being home and hardly ever complain, i also have a lot of close friends who work (full time and part time) and juggle that around their kids and they are super busy and they hardly ever whinge about it.

As said, everyone deserves to have a vent, i guess you never can tell what is really going on in someone's life. I'd suggest getting rid of these people on your FB if you find it annoying. Maybe time for a cull, i know i need to do one.
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 05-07-2012 at 12:13.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (05-07-2012),VicPark  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I find this post really refreshing and long overdue. I had to go back to work. You don't HAVE to be a sahm. And true, this is in the WORKING PARENTS section so let us have our winge. My favourite is the sahm's who say "I would never dream of having someone else raise my kids" Well for some it's not a choice!

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hopefulmama2b For This Useful Post:

Addison  (07-07-2012),JNC_B2012  (05-07-2012),TwinkleFi  (05-07-2012),VicPark  (06-07-2012),WorkingClassMum  (05-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Her ticker also says she only has one. If I only had one I wouldn't know what to do with myself the whole day either.
    I do only have one. I was back at work at 12 weeks and stopped working end of dec 2011 so when DD was 2yrs 8 months. so yes I do find it is easy and actually DD is so used to being at Childcare ( we call it school) that she tells me she wants to go to school and play with friends. So we are both actually pretty lost with being at home everyday.
    Although right now I am laying in bed recovering from surgery to remove stage 4 endo and it's been good to be able to book in appts etc without having to worry about taking time off work etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    I hardly think the point of this thread is to debate SAHM'S or working mums or turn it into a competition. Some people ( even friends you love dearly) can be exhausting by whinging about their life constantly whilst others just have a different attitude of 'that's life and we all have hard times and good times'. If you are the latter than it can be draining to be surrounded by whinging all the time.

I agree. But your first comment said this:

"I have no idea why SAHM's ( some not all) whinge so much. Like you I have a friend who never has to work again but constantly whines about how hard it is, how tired and stressed she is and how she never has time to do anything. After having 6 months off I still have no idea what SAHM'S do all day."

(Sorry - don't know how to multi quote over more than one page).

I'm sure you can see why there might be a few SAHMs feeling that the above comments DO make it sound like a competition!

The OP is entitled to vent. But so is her friend. TBH, I defy anyone to say that they have NEVER complained about what they do at some point. Whether that's a complaint about work being hard, or about the children being difficult, or about being tired with no rest, or the weather being bad...

We all need to vent. And I do understand how it can sting when someone vents about a situation you would dearly love to be in. (I'm thinking of my TTC journey here, and listening to people complain about kids/ accidental pregnancies).

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-07-2012),MissMuppet  (05-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I agree. But your first comment said this:

"I have no idea why SAHM's ( some not all) whinge so much. Like you I have a friend who never has to work again but constantly whines about how hard it is, how tired and stressed she is and how she never has time to do anything. After having 6 months off I still have no idea what SAHM'S do all day."

(Sorry - don't know how to multi quote over more than one page).

I'm sure you can see why there might be a few SAHMs feeling that the above comments DO make it sound like a competition!

The OP is entitled to vent. But so is her friend. TBH, I defy anyone to say that they have NEVER complained about what they do at some point. Whether that's a complaint about work being hard, or about the children being difficult, or about being tired with no rest, or the weather being bad...

We all need to vent. And I do understand how it can sting when someone vents about a situation you would dearly love to be in. (I'm thinking of my TTC journey here, and listening to people complain about kids/ accidental pregnancies).

Fair point but I'm being honest when I say I don't know what SAHM do all day. Maybe it should say " I don't know what stay at home mums of 1 three year old child do all day because I feel lazy because I would usually have done a hundred things by now if I was working but there isn't actually enough jobs to fill my day now I'm not". And I have a husband who works 5 minutes away and works an average 40 hour week so is home every single night and weekend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefulmama2b View Post
    My favourite is the sahm's who say "I would never dream of having someone else raise my kids" Well for some it's not a choice!
    Me too. Funny. I didn't realise childcare workers were raising my child. Do teachers raise children too?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cat21 For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (05-07-2012),hopefulmama2b  (05-07-2012),WorkingClassMum  (05-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The SAHMs I know who vent a lot on facebook are not simply whinging for the sake of it. They are reaching out because they aren't coping. Not everyone breezes through parenting,whether working or not. Everyone needs support sometimes, but facebook unfortunately makes it all too easy to complain and hope someone offers support rather than actually call a friend for a sympathetic ear, which would work better.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Blobby2  (05-07-2012),Boobycino  (05-07-2012),CluckySC  (05-07-2012),Gothel  (05-07-2012),lovesushi  (06-07-2012),Me&MrMagoo  (06-07-2012),RobinSparkles  (05-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (05-07-2012),wrena  (05-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's obvious all SAHMs sit on their lazy bums all day in pajamas eating crap while facebooking and bubhubing, meanwhile their house and children get increasingly neglected. Oh, the life.

ETA: I'm being sarcastic, I myself am a SAHM.
    Last edited by Guest1234; 05-07-2012 at 13:17.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (05-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefulmama2b View Post
    I find this post really refreshing and long overdue. I had to go back to work. You don't HAVE to be a sahm. And true, this is in the WORKING PARENTS section so let us have our winge. My favourite is the sahm's who say "I would never dream of having someone else raise my kids" Well for some it's not a choice!
    We moved out away from all our family and friends so we could afford for me to stay home, I don't want to stay home - but at the moment I *have* to. I wish I could go back to work.