+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had the day off today, as DH took DD out! So... I wasn't working OR doing 'mum duties'!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I had the day off today, as DH took DD out! So... I wasn't working OR doing 'mum duties'!
    How VERY dare you!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zombiekitty For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (05-07-2012),tormyxxx  (05-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I am a sahm now, have been for 8 years, I enjoyed it at first, now I am over it. I am starting a course at the end of this month and looking at getting a job (maybe even two).

Each to their own. I don't care what other people do with their lives.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkleFi View Post
    I have a lot of SAHM friends, and one in particular is always posting on FB about how hard it is, "I don't get paid, I don't get recognised or appreciated, I don't get coffee breaks" etc. I find this SO annoying!
    Just a reminder folks, OP isn't complaining about ALL SAHMs. She's complaining about one particular whingey one.
    People keep saying "She's allowed to complain too" but are basically acting like the OP hasn't got a right to vent about it. It goes both ways folks! If you want to champion her friend's right to whinge, you should champion the OPs right to do so as well.

OPs friend is allowed to complain. Just as OP is allowed to complain about the complaining.

So everyone stop complaining

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

TwinkleFi  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post

OPs friend is allowed to complain. Just as OP is allowed to complain about the complaining.

So everyone stop complaining
    Wait are you complaining about posters complaining about the OP's complaining about a friend who's always complaining? LOL

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ChickyBee For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (05-07-2012),Californication  (06-07-2012),Eko  (06-07-2012),Guest654  (05-07-2012),lovesushi  (06-07-2012),tormyxxx  (05-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (05-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honesty being a mum is VERY hard work. It's draining we work 24/7 with very little/no thanks, that applies to sahm and working mums. I'm a full time mum, full time uni student, and part-time nanny. I CHOOSE to stay home because when pregnant I watched 3 small children be more connected to their nanny than their mum. I think it's a minority of mums who put career before their family's but there are some out there. I do what's best for us. I would rather live a lesser lifestyle than miss out on these years with him BUT I do have admiration for mums that go back to work. I wonder where you find the time to clean,cook And keep your sanity. hats off to mums in general

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    This is where things get hairy. I'm a sahm, I'm up before the sun every day and I don't finish until late at night either and then I'm woken up 4-5 times a night by my various children who cosleep with me. I think the person you quoted meant a break from being in constant physical contact with her children, I know sometimes I would just love to go to the loo alone once or twice a day or to have a hot cup of tea without having to get up 50 times every single time, yanno that sort of thing
    I agree with this. One thing I enjoy about work is a small amount of personal space. That said I work with mums and babies so I still get some cuddles. I guess you have to remember though that from a working Mums perspective.. we will be up half the night with babies etc.. and then we have to drag our tired selves to work.. though from a stay at home mums point of view, they are probably thinking "ahh weve been together all night, please detach yourself from me for ten minutes".
    I think from both angles its pretty tough.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    For some of us unfortunates work is not a break.... The mere mention of a tea break, toilet break etc often ensures a patient will have a cardiac arrest, go psychotic, a new ambulance will arrive etc etc. some jobs arent a break but are an income that you can't live without. If people want to whinge about how hard it is to be a SAHM come to my emergency department.... Work a 10 hour night shift then go home to 2 under 2 for the day who are too naughty to agree to sleeping for the whole day instead I get to do all the mummy stuff on an hours sleep in the morning and a 2 hour nap in the afternoon (if both girls sleep). I then pray my husband gets home early 5ish so I can sneak off to bed til 8:45 when I leave for work all over again.
    Ahhhhhhhhhh I need a holiday. (no I'm not posting from work I'm home with a sick child)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Everyones experience is different, some find work harder than being a SAHM some find being a SAHM or the transition to being a SAHM hard as well. It is ok for anyone to have a whinge about their job whether it is working for a company or being a SAHM.

Its like comparing oranges and apples - ones persons experience as a SAHM or their experience at their specific career is so different for each person. There are so many variables.

In my opinion, just as some people have bad experiences at work or feel undervalued some people have have similar experiences as a SAHM, not everyone's experience as a SAHM is wonderful and perfect or ideal. Not everyone has a supportive partner or easy children or perfect physical or mental health etc etc.

Let's just give each other a break - stop making SAHM's who don't rave on about how wonderful life is and how grateful they are,feel guilty for being honest about their struggles. That is what I find annoying….there is enough guilt in being a mum, and if SAHMS can't complain then neither can those who work, because there are some mums that would prefer to be at work and probably don't want to hear working mums complain about their time at work either. Either way, just be supportive instead of whinging yourself because you can't relate to someone elses struggle. When are we going to give each other a break, instead of constantly trying to one up each other.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 06-07-2012 at 07:48.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ulysses For This Useful Post:

beebs  (06-07-2012),Benji  (06-07-2012),LifeInShadesOfGrey  (06-07-2012),MsMummy  (06-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is kind of like when you are trying for a baby desperately and you hear of people getting pregnant by accident and complaining about being pregnant. You would give anything to be in their position and it is a bit cutting to hear them complaining about their good fortune.

Op i really understand your position (and have been there before!) as I would really cherish being a sahm too and personally I see it as an amazing luxury for people to be able to achieve it. If I feel anything like the feelings you are describing I know they come from my own jealousies and insecurities. It doesn't make the feelings any less real, but it does help me to understand that it isnt my friend being annoying and it is more about me. Iykwim. Hugs.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennybaby For This Useful Post:

jez  (06-07-2012)