+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do I know if I've had a miscarriage?

I'm 6 weeks pregnant and yesterday I had some bleeding, just like a normal period in colour and flow, but no pain. I went to the doctor and my cervix was closed and she did an ultrasound which showed the pregnancy sac with the yolk inside but no heartbeat, she said it could just be a little early for that. She told me to come back in 2 weeks for another scan. But today I had more heavy bleeding and I had some pretty bad cramping for about 15 minutes. I passed a clot about the size of a 5c piece. I've had no pain since, but still bleeding moderately.
    I'm just not sure if what I experienced was a miscarriage, as I've heard that the pain of a miscarriage is like giving birth, but I didn't experience anything like that, it was just like bad period pain, I didn't even need to take panadol.
    I'm very confused and don't know what to do..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Perhaps they can do bloods every couple of days to watch your hcg levels? Sorry, other than that, I'm not aware of anything else that would give you answers. Fingers crossed for u xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear

It can be normal to bleed in pregnancy... Is it dark or red blood?

My m/c at 6 weeks to the day, started off as spotting dark blood... Then af felt like it was coming... Sure enough blood and clotting came and a fair bit - however mine continued bleeding heavy for days.....

Hours from being in emergency having confirmation that my cervix has opened and my hcg had dropped.... I felt bad cramping, I felt the need to curl into a ball... It hurt bad but only lasted a few seconds on and off for a day...

When I got to emergency the nurse confirmed it wasn't good if there was clotting in my blood

I don't think a m/c would feel like birth but the dr said to me it's just your body contracting back & the blood vessel supplying the baby contracting... They are contractions but they were like bad cramping!

Fingers crossed everything is okay.

I'd go straight to your dr for an urgent bt, go in the morning & see if you can get one asap, it's the surest way

X

FIRST CYCLE FEB/MAR 2012
    IVF ICSI BFP - but sadly miscarried @ 6 weeks..... :'(

ET - 21/05/2012 - BFN
    ET - 14/06/2012 - BFN
    IVF all over for us for now..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It sounds like you have miscarried, i'm very sorry to say, but nothing is for certain until you have a scan and see what is going on. I have had a large bleed in 2 pregnancies and still been pregnant, i have also had several miscarriages. The differences were with a miscarriage the bleeding lasted longer, had clots and was painful. For me a miscarriage does not feel like birth at all, it is painful but not like labour - more like a bad period pain.
    I would try to get a scan asap so you can find out what is going on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hopefully all is ok for you. I had a miscarriage at 6 weeks with minimal bleeding and no pain what so ever. I've also had bleeding with current pregnancy and all is fine. Get a scan and blood tests ASAP. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ultrasounds and blood tests are going to be your only way of knowing. Clots dont sound good but also if you had fully miscarried you would probably have more than one clot come out. I do in my regular cycle. For me miscarrying did feel like labour with actual contractions and all but for some people the pain is barely noticeable so it really differs each time. I am so sorry hun but I would hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear that you're going through this, it's a horrible time.

I'm sorry to say but it does sound like you are experiencing a miscarriage but like others have said, only hcg monitoring and/or an ultrasound will rule it out completely.

3 out of 5 of my miscarriages have been relatively pain free (March 2009 & February, May 2012). The miscarriage in October was a D&C late in the first trimester and was painful, this miscarriage is the first ealry pregnancy that I have experienced real pain. I have to say that it is this time around like labour pains, in my uterus & back and at times, it has had me doubled over in pain. Before the really heavy bleeding started today, I had 2 days of very mild bleeding (not even filling a pad for a day) but the first night I was in excruciating pain, to the point I was going to call an ambulance. Today, it has just been very heavy bleeding (and I am completely drained physically and mentally).

I hope this helps and I hope that it's not a miscarriage.

Look after yourself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for your support and advice. Still bleeding so I went to the doctors this morning and cervix is still closed, so still not sure what is happening. Had blood test this morning and will have another on Monday so hopefully I will know one way or the other on Monday afternoon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well that's good news for now!

FIRST CYCLE FEB/MAR 2012
    IVF ICSI BFP - but sadly miscarried @ 6 weeks..... :'(

ET - 21/05/2012 - BFN
    ET - 14/06/2012 - BFN
    IVF all over for us for now..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Keeping my fingers crossed for you hunny.