+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Is four weeks to young to travel?

We are looking at going to Perth for the weekend so Cooper can meet his cousins and his aunty and uncle, he is four weeks on Friday.
    My parents used to travel with me at his age I'd just like some opinions on travelling with a newborn

Thanks
    Reviews
    No it is easier when they that young. We went to the uk when my son was 5 weeks and that's all up 21 hour flight time. We found the air hostesses so good. They even have cribs u can put them in good luck with your travels

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd try to keep him covered up if possible (ie with a muslin wrap) so he's not exposed to people coughing and sneezing if there are any nearby (surprise, surprise, I'm all about the health concerns!).

We moved home from living OS with DD when she was about 10wks old and the flight was about 8hrs - we managed fine, and she slept for most of it. Pack your nappy bag with a change mat to put down on the drop-down change table in the toilet (for hygiene reasons), plenty of nappies and wipes, spare changes of clothes and bibs etc, a baby blanket/wrap to keep bub warm. Can't help with advice on bottle prep on a plane as my two were/are BF, but I know the flight hosties are good about helping with that sort of thing.

And on the topic of BFing, I used to DD for take-off and landing so the sucking action helped with any ear pressure pains. Dummies are good for the same thing if you use them.

If meals come around on the flight, I'd also nicely ask if you could get yours delivered before everyone else so you've got a chance to eat yours while DP holds bub.
    Last edited by SeaShanty; 04-07-2012 at 18:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I flew alone with my DS when he was 3 weeks old, no dramas at all. So much easier than with a toddler.

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    No def not. It's when they are older it's harder, iv flown by my self twice with 2 kids under 3 at te time from qld to Perth an the other way (2 dif trips at dif times during the yr)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Agree the younger the better

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Young babies are definitely easier to travel with then toddlers. As pp said if bfeeding is good on take off & landing

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are driving so my plan is to stop every two to three hours to feed him we are leaving about 2pm Friday afternoon and I'll sit in the back with him and sleep some of the way

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We are only a 6ish hr drive from Perth, but will be taking bellyfruit up around the same age (If I go early, if I go on time then Im staying home, 2 week old is too small IMO!) Did the same with DD at 5 weeks old.
    We just prepared to stop every hour or so to boob/change, and of course planning for a much longer trip (took 9 hrs the first time)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We r the same distance trishalicious my plan is to feed little man before we go then again in southern cross and then again in tamin then he should make it to hotel ok