+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Heater in a babies room?

Heya

My question is should I put a heater in my 8month old DD's room.

Our house is fully tiled - even in the bedrooms, I've been finding at night DD's room becomes rather cold. She had also been waking up during the night - which I'm assuming is because she either wiggles out of her blanket or kicks it off and is cold - once she's tucked back in she's all good and goes straight back to sleep.

For extra warmth I tried putting her in a gro bag - but she doesn't like it very much and I don't really want to put more blankets because she has a few on there the moment and any more and they won't tuck in properly.
    I'm worried about a heater catching fire

Has anyone else got a heater in their LO's room? or what type if heater should I get (iv been looking at them Oil/column heaters?) Or any other suggestions ?

Thanks in advance x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes we are in Perth and have a column heater. It's great
    her room is freezing even in the day I have it on.
    mand we just put it on low when we go to bed and it doesn't get very hot too touch either

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    I'm in perth too and it is so cold during the night lately, we use an oil heater before bub goes to bed then I switch it off when I put her down and have it on a wall timer($15from coles) and set it for 3am (thats around the time DD was waking) she gets up at 6 so its on low for 3hrs

I also have added a layer to her pj.s and she sleeps through again!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We live in a house that has floorboards throughout, so I can relate to how cold it gets!

We use an oil column heater in DS's room - we turn it on about 30 mins before we put him down to bed, then turn it off when we go to bed. It heats the room up nicely.

I get up at 5:30am on weekdays, so I sneak into his room and turn it back on until he gets up. His room is always cold again in the mornings, but not cold enough to wake him up and certainly warmer than our bedroom which has no heater at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ditto what other posters say - we've got an upright column heater and it does the job really well. We also have ducted gas heating coming through vents in the floor (we live down south where it's COLD!) but as DD is too old to sleep in a Gro-bag or what I call a 'snuggle suit' (one of those polar fleece 'onesies' for toddlers) anymore but she still thrashes during her sleep and uncovers herself, we also use the column heater to keep her room warm enough in case she's just laying there in bed without any covers on.

Just stay away from electric bar heaters (AKA radiant heaters) as they are an absolutely deadly fire hazard - read an article in the newspaper recently that said a shocking number of house fires were caused by those.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used a column heater last year but ive since discovered they can explode so not happy to use on anymore.. I now keep the ducted on overnight. At mum and dads they have pit in a new heater for their bungalo for us, it looks like a mini reverse cycle and it goes on the wall think it wS seventy dollars from bunnings... Works VERY well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay thanks everyone
    DD woke 6 times last night because she kicked her blankets off! (don't think she's ever woken that much before!) im off to the shops to buy one now x

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a heater you can get from bunnings its got a switch on the bottom of it so if it tips over it turns off and I sit it on my DD's dressing table cause she is in a tiddler bed. The brand is Arlec its just a little one but it works. We live in a unit which gets very cold cause its all concrete walls and thin carpet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also. I layer her up too. Singlet, romper suit, tights with socks underneath and than her pj's over the top when its really cold.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My SIL just moved into a rental that is completely floor boards before bubs came she got permission to install one like this: http://shop.bigpond.com/Product.asp?...tail&ID=116915, she weighed up the cost of running and also the wall mounted delivers a less direct heat if that makes sense.