+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Darwin!

Hi everyone,

From the looks of it there isn't much activity in this forum, but here it goes anyway...

My partner has been in the army coming up to 2 years now. He was injured at Kapooka but started his IET's in infantry anyway. He ended up being transferred to TRW and got stuck there for over a year. He's finally gotten a core transfer and is doing IET's in Albury.

Meanwhile, I am at home and pregnant with our first. 17 weeks in so far, due on the 11th of Dec. DP is going to miss out on most of the pregnancy. He's looking to finish his course by the end of September and get us posted to Darwin!
    So basically, I'm looking for other young mums who are posted in Darwin. And I would also really appreciate any advice about being posted for the first time, and any info about Darwin from those that have already lived there.

Okay... thanks =)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Darwin!

Hi there

I'm a young mum posted in Darwin! So maybe I can help...

Darwin is what you make of it, basically. The weather is absolutely beautiful at the moment as it is our 'dry season' but the rest of the year it's hot and humid. It rains for weeks at a time in the wet season, and everything grows mould.

Having said that you do adapt to the weather.

If you or your DP are into fishing, camping or the outdoors, there is lots of that here. The fishing is amazing and venturing out towards the rural areas of Darwin, or out to Litchfield National Park is well worth it.

The shopping is a little poor, however these days you can pick up anything you can't get here online anyway - and it seems Darwin is getting bigger and bigger every day! There are lots of new developments and roadworks going on.

It is expensive. Prepare yourself for that. But, you'll be in DHA house so that will straight away help, as renting here is very expensive try not to live on a base if you can, go for Palmerston (just my opinion, I know lots of people who love living in the base accomodation but I much prefer Palmerston)

I'd be happy to answer any other questions that you have

my email address is melandsophie@hotmail.com if you want to email me?

best wishes for the pregnancy and the move,

Mel xx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mj29 For This Useful Post:

LollyLu  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey i don't live in Darwin but just got back from there to the sunny coast i vouch for the weather lol. just wanted to say though that there is a heap of ladies on the facebook group MCN addicts that are in darwin as their hubbies were posted there so try and check it out if you wanted to.

good luck with it all

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tutu & Lulu For This Useful Post:

LollyLu  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies!

We're so excited. And yes, we do love camping and outdoors. My brother-in-law is travelling around Australia with his family and posting lots of photos of Darwin on FB at the moment. It looks awesome.

Palmerston, I'll keep that mind for sure. Neither of us have been up there before so we're not familiar with the areas at all.

I'll definitely check out that FB group, thanks Jenata =)

Mel, do you have FB? I don't use my email much at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey I am the opposite, barely on fb, spend a lot of time on pinterest!! lol but yes I am on it...

did you want to just flick me a quick email and we'll try to find each other on fb?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there

We have been in Darwin for 6 months now, we were previously posted in Albury/Wodonga. Palmerston is definitely the way to go. There is a really nice new suburb there called Bellamack that has defence houses.

The weather is amazing at the moment, 32degrees everyday. We arrived in the beginning of the wet season and it was hot, humid, sticky and just yuck. But you do get a bit used to it. The dry season is beautiful though. You do acclimatise though and you find parents dressing their children in trackies and jumpers, it is a strange sight if you are new and sweating you a** off haha

The shopping is not too great but Casuarina is pretty good. Everything up here seems to be more expensive up here. Child care up here is really hard to find (I work in one) and our baby room waiting list is almost longer than 12months as with most other centres so if you are ever considering it, make sure that you put your name down really early, we have only been open since Feb and we already have 35+ families waiting!

Anyway, Darwin is a nice place just very far away from family etc. There are quite a few Facebook groups for defence partners in Darwin (I think someone mentioned that already)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi IndieBelle

Thanks =) I'll definitely have to look into Palmerston when we actually get our posting order. Can't wait to get up there.

Isn't there childcare on the base?? I thought there would be. Unless that fills up quick too...
    I'll probably be doing the stay at home mum thing the whole time anyway and just looking for mother's groups.

Do you know what any of the FB groups are called?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi LollyLu.

In NT there is no child care on base. They have actually ruled it out for most of Australia as far as I am aware. There are a few centres that will 'bump' you up the list as a defence partner, however, they still have a waiting list of a few months.

I am just recently moved from Darwin, very sticky situation, and can tell you that if you love the heat, you will love Darwin. It is however very small compared to a lot of the other posts. Your partner (being Army) will be posted to Robertson Barracks, and the best place to live if posted there is Palmerston. I lived in Durack (a suburb of Palmo) and loved it. Also, he will be able to come home for lunch on most days (depending on his unit) if you are in Palerston, as they get an hr for lunch and it only takes about 15 mnutes to drive one way.

The FB groups are found if you search Darwin Defence Partners. There is about a dozen of them, but most require someone to vouch for you. I still have friends in a lot of those groups and may be able to get them to vouch if you would like.

If there is anything else you want to know, just ask! :-D

Enjoy your new life as a defence wife. And make lots of friends while you are at it (trust me you will need them...)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Darwin!

Hey ladies!
    Lolly, Darwin is great, and you will enjoy it if you are into the out doors, however it is about to start getting HOT! I've lived here my whole life and the heat still suprises me each year!
    Anyway my DP is in the army, and we live off base in Palmerston. Definately seems to be the trend. Are you both already recognized as defacto through the Defence ? Because that can be a real pain in the a*s to Organise..? And is vital when applying for RA..
    We just found out that we r expecting our first so I'll be finding out what is available for Defence mums so if u need to know anything, I can do my best to find out for you.
    I know that there is a group that often organises family days and meetings for Defence mums an bubs in Palmerston, from the mail they send out.
    Anyway good luck !

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovemysons For This Useful Post:

LollyLu  (28-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Georgia!
    Yeah we're already de facto =)
    We just got our official posting to Darwin last week, yayyy ^_^
    I was at a family thing on the weekend and a few people have mentioned that Palmerston isn't a good area??? I was really confused because you have all recommended it! I figured it would be mainly defense families around LOL
    I take it Bellamack and Durack are good areas in Palmerston then?

I would definitely love any info on mum's groups too by the way =)
    Oh yeah.... we're planning to drive up there... any advice?? I'll be about 30 weeks-ish.

Why shouldn't I live on base?? My mum was telling me I should.... lol
    Last edited by LollyLu; 28-08-2012 at 16:46.