+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry to hear about her bad reaction, but I am pleased for you that you are finding some answers.

All the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lw1981 View Post
    so just a follow up. The end of the scheduled 2 weeks were up last night. We decided to let her have some chicken nuggets with breadcrumb coating and 15 minutes after she started eating them she was getting bad tummy aches, didnt feel well etc..

It surprised me with how quick it started. looks like we might have an answer. will have to let the Dr know the results.

thanks to everyone who helped.

why wheat of all things... gosh darn it..
    Hi Hun, how did your DD react to the damper? I only ask because my niece had allergies to chicken especially the manufactured kind. If she didn't react to the damper I'd be inclined to think it could be something else. I do hope you find answers soon, poor little one must be very uncomfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It isn't the same thing, you are quite right, peanut anaphalixis is far more common. But you post, just shows how little you really know about things like coeliac disease, as mentioned before some people do get life threatening reactions to gluten (me being one). Not as many as peanuts to be sure. But it does happen, and it is attitudes like yours and that teachers that put people in danger.

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    This

A nut free zone is only introduced for anaphylaxis- Sorry but not the same thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    But we were not talking about you. We were talking about a child who does not have life threatening allergies, who has been placed on a two week trial. People with life threatening issues aren't put on 'lets see how this goes' trials they are placed on food challenges in a hospital environment, where should it escalate to life threatening medical assistance is available.
    That's exactly right. My son is ana to peanuts and we have undergone food trials which are conducted in an actual hospital. In no way was it allowed to be controlled from home. IMO totally different and can not be compared.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Anyway - at the end of the day - that is neither here nor there. A parent says to a teacher, don't give my child gluten and they do. That is absolutely not on. How rude, dangerous and disrespectful. They have *no* idea what reactions that child could possibly have.

I live in a house with 3 coeliacs and one who has an anaphalactic allergy. And the difference is, if me and DH go to dinner and he says he has a shellfish allergy they take it damn seriously. I say I can't eat gluten and it isn't taken seriously at all. In the 7 years me and DH have been together I am the only one who has been rushed to emergency due to eating something on accident.

I don't care how much someone *thinks* they know about intolerances/coeliac/allergies - you just should never assume anything.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No - we aren't talking about me, we are talking about making general assumptions on how people react to certain foods. I know exactly how it goes with ana - it doesn't mean that you can just assume that because someone doesn't have ana that it isn't life threatening. Because it can be. And something like coeliac - you can react a certain way your whole life and then one day the reaction changes and can become something else. It isn't this is the way I react therefore it will alway be that way.

I am by no means saying that it is worse that anaphalxis because it isn't. All I am saying is that you shouldn't just *assume* that gluten problems are mild. Which is exactly what you were doing.

But we were not talking about you. We were talking about a child who does not have life threatening allergies, who has been placed on a two week trial. People with life threatening issues aren't put on 'lets see how this goes' trials they are placed on food challenges in a hospital environment, where should it escalate to life threatening medical assistance is available.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Maia  (08-07-2012),Theophania  (08-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hear, hear beebs

I don't see why one issue has to detract from the other anyway?

It is more than a little bit frustrating how little coeliac disease/gluten intolerance is understood.

My Aunt has a 6 week long chain reaction from eating 1 wheat crumb. It's so difficult to avoid too, gluten is everywhere.

Disclaimer: I am in no way making light of ana reactions, like I said before, it would be so so scary to be worried about that. I just wish people would take intolerances seriously too. While not USUALLY life threatening, they can be absolutely disabling for some people.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-07-2012),DesperatelySeekingSleep  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    I'll continue to monitor her food intake and her symptoms but the difference in her overall health while on the wheat free diet was something I can not ignore. I am lactose intollerant and I know my limits with dairy. I can still have it but I know what to expect if I do. Hopefully DD1 will be the same because is it near impossible to avoid wheat/gluten especially at school age.

All I had been thinking was what the Dr had said. If it isnt an intollerance then we will have to do more invasive testing to make sure it is nothing sinister. I only heard these words going through my head when I discovered the teacher had given food against my wishes because it meant we might not be able to get a clear result IYKWIM.

I still stand by my original statement because it doesnt matter if it is an allergy/intoll or even what the food was. the diet was not taken seriously enough by the teacher and she was not to know the potential side effects. for all she knew it could have triggered a fatal asthma attack. I have asthma, am allergic to cats, lactose intollerant and cant eat certain things like eggplant, tomatoes, citrus etc without getting an itchy throat. If I do have too much contact with any of these things especially cats i have been known to end up in hospital with a really bad asthma attack.
    How is the teacher to know the same wont happen to DD1 in such a case.

Thank you all so much to those that understand what I have meant.

I really didnt think it would cause such a debate. it really wasnt intended as an allergy vs intollerance argument.

I think it is time to agree to disagree