+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42
  1. #21
    Theophania's Avatar
    Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,075
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked
    832
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP I can understand your frustration. My DS has an egg allergy, as well as dairy intollerance. I picked him up from daycare once and the teacher came to me and said that all the other kids had sponge cake, and she felt bad for DS so just gave him a really small slice... I was so angry. The poor little man ended up with a belly ache and a rash around his mouth all afternoon. I took him out of that daycare and have put him in a new one now. I constantly remind them about his issues, we have an action plan for his allergies and his asthma though which were required before he started and they are really good at the new centre.

    I would speak to the teacher and make sure to stress the importance of her diet. And I would inform the teacher that if he/she cannot adhere to this you will speak to the principle etc to get some compliance.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Theophania For This Useful Post:

    DesperatelySeekingSleep  (05-07-2012)

  3. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    444
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked
    60
    Reviews
    0
    Wow. I've not read all the replies but omg! What if it were a life or death allergy? What I'd dd has celiac disease ??? Terrible

  4. #23
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    and undoes a lot of the good work done in recent years to get people to understand the seriousness of anaphylaxis.
    How does her being upset about her LO being given gluten "undo a lot of the good work done in recent years" re anaphylaxis. I must have missed that bit in her post.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,718
    Thanks
    3,789
    Thanked
    3,838
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    I'm surprised your dr told you to cut out gluten in the first place? I have celiac disease and I was encourage to keep a steady amount of gluten in my diet (a specific, set amount) in the 4 weeks leading up to the blood test. Then they test bloods then if they come back with positive markers, then come the more invasive tests.

    Your dr has just slowed down the entire process if she does have celiac disease.

    But yes, I'd be annoyed if a school teacher went against my childs dietary needs.
    they have done a blood test but it came back negative to gluten. But didnt realise they had tested for that so have no idea her gluten intake at the time of testing. he said it may not be the actual gluten but another part of the wheat's make up, the yeast that bread is made with or the enzymes etc.. by cutting wheat out we can try and pin point which part. the dr said a lot of his patients tests do come back neg but they go off gluten/wheat products afterwards and the symptoms go away. I try and refer to it as wheat/gluten because of this. All I know is when on days she eats wheat products she is doubled over in pain, feels sick, bolts to the toilet and I later discover she had a quiet #2 accident, lethargic, cant sleep... since taking her off wheat things have actually improved. while having an occassional tummy ache (maybe every 3rd or 4th day instead of everyday) she now goes to sleep early, havent found any accidents, she doesnt appear bloated anymore and generally seems better.

    if the diet doesnt work they were going to do more invasive testing.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,718
    Thanks
    3,789
    Thanked
    3,838
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    exactly
    Quote Originally Posted by smootch View Post
    Wow. I've not read all the replies but omg! What if it were a life or death allergy? What I'd dd has celiac disease ??? Terrible

  7. #26
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How old is she? The coeliac tests (for gluten) have a 40% false negative rate under 5 and a 15% false negative rate for everyone else. Even if it comes back negative that doesn't mean it isn't that.

    Quote Originally Posted by lw1981 View Post
    they have done a blood test but it came back negative to gluten. But didnt realise they had tested for that so have no idea her gluten intake at the time of testing. he said it may not be the actual gluten but another part of the wheat's make up, the yeast that bread is made with or the enzymes etc.. by cutting wheat out we can try and pin point which part. the dr said a lot of his patients tests do come back neg but they go off gluten/wheat products afterwards and the symptoms go away. I try and refer to it as wheat/gluten because of this. All I know is when on days she eats wheat products she is doubled over in pain, feels sick, bolts to the toilet and I later discover she had a quiet #2 accident, lethargic, cant sleep... since taking her off wheat things have actually improved. while having an occassional tummy ache (maybe every 3rd or 4th day instead of everyday) she now goes to sleep early, havent found any accidents, she doesnt appear bloated anymore and generally seems better.

    if the diet doesnt work they were going to do more invasive testing.

  8. #27
    almai's Avatar
    almai is offline "you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    perth
    Posts
    1,718
    Thanks
    1,914
    Thanked
    1,153
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Iw1981- I just want to say what a wonderful mother you are for taking this so seriously and looking after your LO.
    My mum was told I have a gluten intolerance when I was about 6-7 but she found it hard to keep me on the diet (and like many other people, just thought I would grow out of it) I suffered horrible tummy aches, constant diarrhea (sp?) or constipation, migraines, malapsorprion issues which made me surverely anemic and long term gluten eating can lead to infertility and bowel cancer. (alwell as many other symptims)
    After being sick and trying every medication under the sun to 'fix' my problems, I self diagnosed myself (confirmed by a dr) with coeliacs disease at age 23 and changed my diet straight away. I have never felt better and my mum feels horrible for not telling me and for not having done anything.

    Eating a little bit of gluten can put me in bed for 2 days with a migraine, black/blurry vision, and vomiting... You are right to be upset with the teacher but should confront them calmly but firmly.
    Goodluck.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to almai For This Useful Post:

    DesperatelySeekingSleep  (05-07-2012)

  10. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,718
    Thanks
    3,789
    Thanked
    3,838
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    How old is she? The coeliac tests (for gluten) have a 40% false negative rate under 5 and a 15% false negative rate for everyone else. Even if it comes back negative that doesn't mean it isn't that.
    She is 7 but cos we have been to the Dr a few times and she has had a couple blood tests over the last couple years I dont know when it was done. I didnt even realise she had even had that specific test until nearly 2 weeks ago. That is what the DR said about the test rate as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by almai927 View Post
    Iw1981- I just want to say what a wonderful mother you are for taking this so seriously and looking after your LO.
    My mum was told I have a gluten intolerance when I was about 6-7 but she found it hard to keep me on the diet (and like many other people, just thought I would grow out of it) I suffered horrible tummy aches, constant diarrhea (sp?) or constipation, migraines, malapsorprion issues which made me surverely anemic and long term gluten eating can lead to infertility and bowel cancer. (alwell as many other symptims)
    After being sick and trying every medication under the sun to 'fix' my problems, I self diagnosed myself (confirmed by a dr) with coeliacs disease at age 23 and changed my diet straight away. I have never felt better and my mum feels horrible for not telling me and for not having done anything.

    Eating a little bit of gluten can put me in bed for 2 days with a migraine, black/blurry vision, and vomiting... You are right to be upset with the teacher but should confront them calmly but firmly.
    Goodluck.
    I have spoken to the school very calmly to "ask about the allergy and intollerance policy just cos I spoke tothe teacher and explained the diet and she agreed to help yet the message never got passed on and DD was given a food type that I specificaly said she couldnt have, so I wanted to know what I should do so it doesnt happen agian if it does indeed turn out to be an allergy or intollerance". I am sure the teacher will get the message loud and clear. I am waitingto see if she apologises or acknowledges the mistake without me having to go to her directly. I'm curious to see if I can trust her because she was actually at school when it happened but the class have another teacher regularly for certain subjects.


    I know some people have strongviews on the differences between allergies and intollerances and I am not trying to create a debate between the two. I believe that there obviously was a breakdown in communication between teachers and my wishes in regard to DD's dietry requirements for the time were ignored/forgotten/not taken seriously.

    Allergy or intollerance aside, the diet should have beentaken more seriously and I should have been notified by the teacher once they realised the diet had been broken whilst DD was in their care, which to me is the actual issue.

  11. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,363
    Thanks
    467
    Thanked
    357
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can understand your frustration but I would probably bring it up with the teacher than the school first and if you're unhappy with his/her response then consider taking it further. Do you know the circumstances around why another teacher had the class? If she/he was still in the school it's possible that they were called out of the classroom for whatever reason or perhaps have children who were sick and had to leave urgently. If this is the case it may not have been the first thing the teacher thought of, particuarly if they were unaware of the relief teachers intentions to cook damper? Maybe find out what happened and then consider your options afterwards?

  12. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,718
    Thanks
    3,789
    Thanked
    3,838
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    so just a follow up. The end of the scheduled 2 weeks were up last night. We decided to let her have some chicken nuggets with breadcrumb coating and 15 minutes after she started eating them she was getting bad tummy aches, didnt feel well etc..

    It surprised me with how quick it started. looks like we might have an answer. will have to let the Dr know the results.

    thanks to everyone who helped.

    why wheat of all things... gosh darn it..


 

Similar Threads

  1. Wheat bags
    By on a mission in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-03-2012, 13:31
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-02-2012, 10:27
  3. problem with wheat?
    By summerly in forum Food allergies & intolerances
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31-01-2012, 15:12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Springfree Trampoline
Give the Ultimate Christmas Gift Springfree Trampoline
The World's Safest Trampoline™ is now also the world's first Smart Trampoline™. Sensors on the mat detect your every move and your jumps control fun, educational and active games on tablet. Secure the Ultimate Christmas Gift today!
sales & new stuffsee all
The Health Hub
Give a new mum a fitness boost for Christmas & New Year. Studio-based, small group training sessions - cardio, strength, core, Pilates & boxing. Choice of 16 hrs per week, flexible-arrival feature - bubs & kids welcome! Gift vouchers available.
featured supporter
ProSwim
ProSwim Rostrevor runs learn to swim classes for children and adults. Lessons are run during the Summer months (Oct-Mar). Our indoor centre at Plympton Park has lessons all year round, including school holidays.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!