+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default 7 yr old on wheat free diet and teacher gives her damper after I said NO WHEAT. WWYD?

Ok so the title says it all. We have DD1 on a diet because we think she has an allergy/intollerance to gluten/wheat. The Dr said to try taking her off wheat/gluten products for two weeks to see if it helps. I spend about $100-$150 restocking the fridge and cupboards to accommodate the new diet. I talk to the teacher and explain whats going on and how important it is she doesnt have anythng thatis wheat based,ie cakes, bread etc.. for two weeks starting that day.

Well... A week into the new diet DD1 comes home telling me they had damper at school. I didnt get mad at her(DD1) cos she didnt realise it had wheat/gluten in it. She just got told it was damper. She knows she isnt allowed bread and cakes and stuff but "it's damper, that not bread".

The teacher has blown the whole diet out the water. It wasnt the regular teacher that gave it to her but shouldnt she have passed the message on? had it on a bulletin board like they do with other allergy kids? We had the diet planned for this particular period of time because we have about 10 birthday parties coming up in the next few weeks/months and didnt want her missing out if she didnt need to, with the first party planned for the end of the set two week period. (this weekend)

To me, while she may not have anaphalaxis, she gets severe tummy aches and a whole other range of symptoms A LOT and we are trying to track down what it is that is triggering it. So, if I say allergy/intollerance, cant eat this for X amount of time, the teacher agrees to help and another teacher doesnt get the message and gives it to her, what would you do? I spoke to the teacher about the diet yesterday (before I found out about this) and she didnt say a thing about the kids having damper. I havent spoken to the teacher or the school yet since. I am so mad that I feel like taking a bag of nuts to school, slamming them on the desk and just saying "effectively the same thing!" (which of course I wont) I am fuming

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would be really, really ticked off.

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't take intolerances seriously. Which stinks because they can be very serious.

My 4 year old asks anyone who offers her anything if it has gluten in it because people will forget unfortunately. Would your 7 year old be able to remember that do you think? Not that she should have to at her age, but it's good practice for her anyway if you end up going wheat free permanently.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (05-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would ring the school and let them know how unhappy you are with the situation.

Sadly, I don't think your DD's regular teacher has taken your child's dietary requirement seriously.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (05-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    I would be really, really ticked off.

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't take intolerances seriously. Which stinks because they can be very serious.

My 4 year old asks anyone who offers her anything if it has gluten in it because people will forget unfortunately. Would your 7 year old be able to remember that do you think? Not that she should have to at her age, but it's good practice for her anyway if you end up going wheat free permanently.
    She has been asking the majority of the time. i asked her if she tried asking the teache and she said she tried but the teacher didntpay attention to her. she kind of lacks confidence to be assertive. And cos it wasnt bread, cake or in a packet to read ingredients she thought it was ok cos her regular teacher knew about it and should have said something to the other teacher. And cos she is 7 and it new to her.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally get your frustration and there has obviously been a breakdown in communication somewhere. My dd1 is dairy allergic and intolerant of wheat, additives and a couple of other things, so I have been through what you are going through and I really do know how frustrating it is. And yes I do think its poor form that they slipped up like that and it shouldn't happen and obviously needs to be addressed (I would talk to the school and quiz them on their allergy policies etc and how they were going to prevent this happening again)

However it is not effectively the same thing as giving nuts to an anaphylactic child. That is potentially life threatening, and while i know how frustrating a setback like this is, I don't think its right to compare it to anaphylaxis, the consequences are just not the same We have a couple of little friends with anaphylaxis (one with peanuts and one peanuts/eggs/dairy) and I have learned to be thankful that i don't have to live in fear of a breakdown in communication putting my childs life at risk. At the worst, someone gives her butter icing and she ends up vomiting for 3 hours, or she eats wheat and has a pain in her tum for 2 days, or has a pop-top drink and we have to live with tears and tantrums for 48 hours. We are lucky.

I have been there myself many times and believe me, if you are going to eliminate a major food group., this is not the last time this is going to happen to you. Trust me on this.

What would I do? I would talk to the school about their procedures and ask for an explanation of how it happened, and how they were going to prevent it happening.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (07-07-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (04-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsTiggyWinkle View Post
    I totally get your frustration and there has obviously been a breakdown in communication somewhere. My dd1 is dairy allergic and intolerant of wheat, additives and a couple of other things, so I have been through what you are going through and I really do know how frustrating it is. And yes I do think its poor form that they slipped up like that and it shouldn't happen and obviously needs to be addressed (I would talk to the school and quiz them on their allergy policies etc and how they were going to prevent this happening again)

However it is not effectively the same thing as giving nuts to an anaphylactic child. That is potentially life threatening, and while i know how frustrating a setback like this is, I don't think its right to compare it to anaphylaxis, the consequences are just not the same We have a couple of little friends with anaphylaxis (one with peanuts and one peanuts/eggs/dairy) and I have learned to be thankful that i don't have to live in fear of a breakdown in communication putting my childs life at risk. At the worst, someone gives her butter icing and she ends up vomiting for 3 hours, or she eats wheat and has a pain in her tum for 2 days, or has a pop-top drink and we have to live with tears and tantrums for 48 hours. We are lucky.

I have been there myself many times and believe me, if you are going to eliminate a major food group., this is not the last time this is going to happen to you. Trust me on this.

What would I do? I would talk to the school about their procedures and ask for an explanation of how it happened, and how they were going to prevent it happening.
    What I was meaning was I had said specifically she CAN NOT have it because she are trying to rule out an (and I used the word) allergy or intollerance. Surely by me saying "allergy" that should have been enough for her to take it serious. If we were testing her for egg allergies or shellfish allergies (which do run in my family with anaphalactic results) and they slipped up like they did this time so soon after a discussion..

I said allergy (partly to emphasise the importance) but how is she to know there wont be a severe reaction requiring hospital. Thats my point.

ETA: And we have almost had to take her to hospital very recently bcause of it which is why I have made the comparison.
    Last edited by DesperatelySeekingSleep; 04-07-2012 at 13:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    lw - It feels really overwhelming now, but you and your DD will get used to it, and it will become your new normal.

For us, I actually see it as a blessing in disguise, because we have to make everything ourselves (we have multiple 'ishews' here) so we are forced to eat very healthily. We are all reaping the rewards!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (04-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has your DD been tested for coeliac disease?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

beebs  (04-07-2012)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lw1981 View Post
    What I was meaning was I had said specifically she CAN NOT have it because she are trying to rule out an (and I used the word) allergy or intollerance. Surely by me saying "allergy" that should have been enough for her to take it serious. If we were testing her for egg allergies or shellfish allergies (which do run in my family with anaphalactic results) and they slipped up like they did this time so soon after a discussion..

I said allergy (partly to emphasise the importance) but how is she to know there wont be a severe reaction requiring hospital. Thats my point.

ETA: And we have almost had to take her to hospital very recently bcause of it which is why I have made the comparison.
    I meant no disrespect, just offering another perspective from one who has been there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsTiggyWinkle View Post
    Sorry - but this is just *not* true, not everyone reacts the same way to gluten. My reaction is in the life threatening emergency category. I hate how everyone just assumes that everyone just gets a few cramps and a bit of a vomit. It is not the same for everyone. It is rare, but it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

I have had Intussusception 4 times due to eating gluten. It is a very scary thing.

"An important but underrecognised etiology of adult small bowel intussusception without a "lead point" is celiac disease. Indeed, in rare cases intussusception may be the initial presentation of adult celiac disease. If not done already, the patient in the present case, even if asymptomatic, should be investigated for this possibility." - CMAJ

I have had blase people ho hum about gluten to me, because obviously reactions aren't severe and its not like a peanut allergy - only to have me end up in emergency and it drives me completely insane.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (05-07-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (04-07-2012)