+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hunbun, that is seriously worth a shot. Not sure if it would fit correctly, but I'm sure we could do something to make it work (or at least give it a try!). Me&MrMagoo... your post hit a spot for me. We too, were told by Karitane that there was nothing more they could do to help us, and even the nurses gave up trying to resettle him. But your last sentence - just makes sense. I think, I will continue to put him in his cot to sleep (and he does well at first), then when he starts waking continuously then put him into bed with me (will try the sidecarring - will definitely be more comfortable!). I know that the others with premmie babies - will also know how tough they do it at the start - so the reminder that if it's what he needs, then it's perhaps the way we should go is a good one. It's so easy to get caught up in the 'they should be' mentally, and following routines and doing the right things by them, that sometimes it gets a little lost that they aren't just 'spoilt' (yes I've heard that many, many times), and maybe it's just what he does need right now. It surely is the only thing that is working for us at the moment... maybe that should tell us something! A question for those that co sleep full time - how did that affect their day time sleeps? My son has no trouble at all going off to sleep on his own (initially) and watching me leave the room - day or night, but just wondering why it's only in the middle of the night that (if it is separation issues) that it's occuring then and not at other times?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmmm we are exactly the same! Ds is 6 months except he won't even co sleep.. Well he does but wakes constantly even in bed with us. He does have reflux though, and I think that is what causes his wake ups...

Sleep deprivation is horribel! Goodluck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mmy2b For This Useful Post:

Markys Mum  (04-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mmy2b View Post
    Hmmm we are exactly the same! Ds is 6 months except he won't even co sleep.. Well he does but wakes constantly even in bed with us. He does have reflux though, and I think that is what causes his wake ups...

Sleep deprivation is horribel! Goodluck
    Yep we still get the wake ups as well, just nowhere near as many, and he will go back pretty quickly. Sleep deprivation IS horrible!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wigglemum View Post
    Your not alone. But for us the reason he wakes constantly is because of his iron deficiency. Is he a good eater? Or suffer reflux? Anyway just another idea and something to consider.
    He is a fantastic eater (thankfully), so don't think it's food related (but have tried feeding more/less to see if it makes a difference - but no). Have tried cutting out certain foods to see if it makes a difference - but no. I think his diet is okay... I think he does need more meat now though. He did have reflux when he was little - but it was never officially diagnosed and not thought to be causing him too much grief - so never medicated. I don't think he has it now though. wigglemum, how is iron deficiency related to him waking up (or how does it cause it)? That's very interesting. As a premmie, he had low iron levels when he was very little but was taken off in February as his levels were good. He is due to be retested later this month - but I'm interested as to how not sleeping can be due to iron deficiency? Learn something new everyday!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are not alone (hugs)!

My son is 7 m.o, we did sleep school at 4 mo but he wakes every hour recently so i gave up. I suspect its teething but the amber bracelet doesnt seem to do anything. I bought a sleeping bag that covers his arms so no reswaddle at night. We just did the sidecar cot set up so everyone has more space. He still wakes every hour while co sleeping (but resettles faster) and i really wants to know why.

Sent from my U20i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When we started co sleeping his day sleeps improved also ... But he's never gone to sleep on his own, I've always fed or patted to sleep ...

He's always been super independent during the day, and needy at night, whereas some kids are the opposite, high maintenance during the day and angels at night ...

Every kid is so ridiculously different, I eventually gave up wondering 'why' he did what he did ...

My turning point with his sleep issues, was the day I 'gave in' to it ... Truly ... I stopped questioning, stopped trying to fix it, stopped trying to make him do something he clearly didn't want to do, I took a deep breath, let it all go, and just truly went with the flow ...

I had other mums on here say exactly the same thing and I never believed them, I just *had* to find a solution, and I made us both miserable trying ...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Me&MrMagoo For This Useful Post:

MamaNurture  (04-07-2012),Markys Mum  (04-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My ds also had low iron levels and his sleep was believed to be one of the symptoms ...

Iron deficiency can either make them sleep alot or not enough ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought it might be teething related too, but it's gone on for SOOOOO long now (started in January) and I can't see anything in his gums yet (no redness/swelling, although he does want to chew alot and sometimes gets rashy on his cheeks and chin). I have no idea what it could be that's waking him all the time, I've tried nearly every suggestion I've ever been given and it's not making much difference!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Me&MrMagoo View Post
    My ds also had low iron levels and his sleep was believed to be one of the symptoms ...

Iron deficiency can either make them sleep alot or not enough ..
    Wow, that is fascinating. Well we will see later in the month if that 'could' be an issue for us. I know what you mean about wanting to fix the problem and find a solution. I have tried, really hard. And it has put us both through alot of stress. Some of it has paid off, but I don't know if it's through the months of work I've put in, or because he's just naturally finding his own sleep pattern. It's causing alot of stress in our family, because everyone is tired. Maybe I too need to stop trying to change what isn't going to be changed, do what works for us and see where that takes us (have some structure and routine of course, but just not obsess over it). I just don't know what else there is to do anyway - I've tried just about everything else (other than harsh methods).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Me&MrMagoo View Post

My turning point with his sleep issues, was the day I 'gave in' to it ... Truly ... I stopped questioning, stopped trying to fix it, stopped trying to make him do something he clearly didn't want to do, I took a deep breath, let it all go, and just truly went with the flow ...

This with us too. The motto in our house - sleep is a war-free zone. And we are all a lot happier.