+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i use them for little grocery shops and go to manned checkouts with a trolley full.

I dont think its taking away jobs either, pfft, all those checkouts and only a quarter were manned anyway!!! just means the lines arent as long because most with baskets and going through self service!!

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I used to work for woolies. They do not take away peoples jobs. They have the same ammount of check out staff on the belt check outs. Because they do not want full trolleys in the self serve.

I use the self serve for baskets and staffed check outs for trolleys.

What they were intended for.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (04-07-2012),Orris Apjoko  (04-07-2012),Shoopuf  (04-07-2012)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummyOf2Sweeties View Post
    They are great with the kids when there is heaps of people In the lines with people. But I don't use them either for a big shop, but I like packing the bag my self lol
    Yes that's another great benefit, if I run into the shops with the kids, and they behave themselves, i let them help me scan the stuff through. They love it!

Or if we are in a hurry and I don't have time for them to help, they sit on the floor with their backs against the register, and there is far more room than in the staffed checkouts, so noone is falling over them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (04-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Love them! They're a godsend to the socially phobic individual - no awkward conversation, no anxiety...

Plus they're so much faster, I can go straight in and out every time.

I don't know about the taking jobs away from people aspect - couldn't that be said about almost any aspect of modern technology?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (04-07-2012),sweetseven  (04-07-2012)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If I have a trolley load, I'd prefer a checkout operator. Just a basket, I'll always go for the self serve.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
    A friend of mine recently said he refused to use the self serve check outs at Woolies. He thinks it’s wrong to take jobs away from human beings and thinks he is doing his bit to help.
    Heaps of people think this.

I used to work for Woolies - first in store and then at corporate. When they introduced the self serve registers, it actually created MORE jobs.

Not only do they need to be attended at all times by a staff member, they also require a lot more 'behind the scenes' work. Our store had to put an extra person on in the office because the self serve registers required an extra 2 hours per day to count and balance the tills, bank the money, provide change orders etc. We also had to put another person on in Loss Prevention to help alleviate the enormous new theft problem that the self serve registers brought with them.

Then there were the extra jobs created for the market research, launch, advertising, staff training ... The list goes on. Even though these jobs were only necessary to start out, I know for a fact that the people employed to do them were later absorbed into the business in other roles.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (04-07-2012),lambjam  (04-07-2012),Mezmerised  (04-07-2012),Orris Apjoko  (04-07-2012)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by brooke88(mum2b09) View Post
    If I have a trolley load then I go through a staffed check out, otherwise I use self serve.
    Quick and convenient.
    Same

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysmama View Post
    I have such bad luck with them. It always takes me longer even when I only have a few things. It's always telling me to place item in bagging area, unidentified item in bagging area...then I have to wait for someone to come over and fix it. Arrgh, I hate them!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub
    Me. Too!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Bluest Blue Box  (04-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am one that doesn't like the scripted chat of checkout operators.I'll happily take a full trolley through a self-serve to avoid being offended by check-out operators doing their job attempting to greet and involve the customer in smalltalk.However, if I have products that'll cause any difficulty, like fresh meat or fruit, then I wont go through self-serve.I am also mindful of the other counters. So if multiple self-serve counters had large trolley loads, I would not tie up another with another large trolley load. But if there were still at least 2/6 or 1/4 self-serve counters with small baskets then I will have no qualms about taking my full trolley through a self-serve counter.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 04-07-2012 at 17:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I generally only use them in the CBD store, as they only have one line (normally really really long at lunchtime) and maybe 12 self serve checkouts and 2 real people. I think in this store, it has reduced staff as they used to have at least 6 or 7 staff, and now they seem to have 2, and 1 for all the self serve. Plus the line seems slower as it takes people longer to use self serve than a real person.

In the suburban stores, I don't generally use them unless I have too much junk food in my basket or I'm not wearing a bra or some other reason that I don't want to make eye contact with a real person, lol.