+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Large car recommendation

So with Twins on the way and DS being around 14-15 months when they are born we'll need a car that fits 3 car seats. I think the one we have now will fit them but I like to be able to take my mum and Aunty along with us when we go to the beach or to things together. So ideally I'd like a car that seats at the very least 7. I really like parados and once hired a Kia 8 sweater which I actually liked driving but I am looking for recommendations for 7-8 seaters.
    How they go on fuel?
    How they go with Car seats?
    What's the boot size like?
    Do they have any features that you don't like?
    Any help/advise would be fantastic, thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've just gone through this issue ourselves and have settled on a new Holden Commodore Sportswagon. We've only got two (a toddler and a baby) but I wanted to make sure there was enough room in the back row for another adult, so my mum could fit whenever she comes to visit (which the Commodore has).

We decided we wanted a station wagon instead of an SUV because the latter are generally gas-guzzlers and poor on fuel economy, and as we're not doing any off-roading or serious outdoor activities (biking, canoeing etc) it seemed unnecessary to own such a big car and be hauling all that metal around when all we do is city and suburban driving.

So, we did a whole lot of research online, bought some new car review magazines and test drove a bunch of cars. We ruled out the Skoda Octavia and the Mazda 6 wagons because the back rows weren't wide enough. We NEARLY bought a Hyundai i40 because it got really good reviews, was so fuel efficient that we wouldn't have to pay stamp duty on it AND it was wide enough to fit two car seats and an adult in the back.

But just as my DH was about to call the Hyundai dealership - literally, he was about to pick up the phone - the finance lady from his work came into his office and said that as part of his recent promotion he was entitled to a work car, so we decided on a Commodore sportswagon. It's yet to arrive but I'm really looking forward to driving it - it's spacious without being too big, and really easy to drive.

As for having three kids in the back of a car, some friends fit their kids in the back of their old Honda CRV, and other friends fit three kids in their newish Toyota Rav.

Hope this helps Car shopping starts out being fun...then it becomes confusing after you've looked at so many cars and reviews...and then it becomes frustrating...and then you just hand the whole job over to your DP and wipe your hands of it because you've had enough!

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Mazda CX-9.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

faroutbrusselsprout  (04-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yeah, I forgot to say that another front-runner was the Ford Territory, which can fit seven people. It got pretty good reviews but we ended up ruling it out because we just felt it was excessive size for our needs and we're not really SUV people. But if we had to haul more people around we would've ended up buying one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got a 7 seated rondo 7 Kia. Was a great car. We had 2 hipod senator seats (8kg-20+) and a capsule. Then the 2 seats popped up in the boot. Plenty of space. Fuel efficient. Loved it but didn't tow caravan well.

Captiva has bad reviews & low safety stars. Mazda cx9 was huge and big motor so big $$ on fuel. Same in Subaru TriBeCa.

Was sold on territory but the back pop up seats were a bench and NO feet room. You could not put anything bigger in there for longer trips than an 8 yr old.

Got a Hyundai Santa fe. Love it. Same as Kia sorrento. Just diff specs.
    Our Santa fe is diesel! So very cost effective. Lots of space and nice looking. All side air bags to back back. Which most didn't have.

Be aware most 7 seaters you can put kid seats in back back. We use the luggage point for short trips. But long trips only put seats in middle back. You also enter the back back by leaning middle seats forward which you can't do if car seat is on it.

By having split back back we can use with one up & one down for pram & access. Worst case both people climb thru boot & sit on one side while you pull up other seat. Lol

This was what featured in our decision making.
    x

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app
    Mum of 4yr boy, nearly 3yr boy & last but not least 5 month girl.

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFaerie View Post
    Be aware most 7 seaters you can put kid seats in back back. We use the luggage point for short trips. But long trips only put seats in middle back. You also enter the back back by leaning middle seats forward which you can't do if car seat is on it.
    Just checking - you're not attaching the top tether to the luggage tie down point, right?

OP, there are dozens of seven seat choices on the market. I'd suggest working out a budget first, which will help you narrow the choices down a bit.

As a general rule of thumb, the offroaders (Prado, Patrol, Landcruiser, Pajero) are going to be the least fuel efficient and offer the worst handling. Territory and CX-9 are much better to drive, but not much better on fuel. If you really want the space of the bigger cars without churning through fuel, look at the diesels.

I'd suggest working out a budget, and deciding whether you want a true offroader, something that can handle some gravel tracks and maybe a bit of beach driving, or if you're never going to leave sealed roads. If you do that you'll have narrowed down the choices down to a more manageable number.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ^^ oops it was meant to be CAN'T put car seats in the back back. Sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app
    Mum of 4yr boy, nearly 3yr boy & last but not least 5 month girl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have recently picked up a Kia Carnival.

It is a 2005 model, which is a 7 seater. The current models are 8 seaters.

This 7 seater has two seats (captains chairs) in the middle row, with plenty of walk space around them, and a bench of three seats in the rear. It has four anchor points for child seats, one behind each of the captains chairs in the middle row, and the other two behind the two rear side seats. However the wheel arches reducing the size of the rear seats, putting two carseats in the rear bench leaves no room for the third rear middle seat at all.

I have placed one carseat in the rear and can easily fit two children (9yo & 11yo) next to it. I have my second carseat in one of the captains chairs in the middle. If I needed a third carseat I could put it in the other captains chair in the middle, but it would make it a little less easy to maneuver around.

The only downside I have found with the car is that it doesn't have a very good turning circle. Otherwise I am completely happy.

Also, all rear seats are removable for when we need to carry cargo.

If I had a newer model with eight seats, I would have no problems putting two carseats in the rear bench and just sacrificing the rear middle seat as unusable. Similarly, if I only needed six seats, then I would do the same with my current vehicle, but as I need to use all seven seats, that wasn't an option for me.

=========

I've only just started looking at fuel economy, but managed 550km on a full tank (65 litres).
    Last edited by sweetseven; 04-07-2012 at 14:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    we love our IMAX!

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll add that I bought a Mitsubishi Delica a year and a half ago to be my work van, simply because it was comfortable and was big enough to carry my elevated photography unit. The wife drove it a few times and loved it so much that it has been commandeered as the family car, and I'm now looking for a ute to use for work.

We love the Delica, and it is comfortable, spacious and incredibly fun to own and drive. But it's definitely a bit out there as far as choices go, and it's not for everyone. They're getting a bit old, too, so if you don't know your way around cars it probably isn't the best bet.