+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    DP, DD (8 months old) and myself live in a 4 x 2 on a 900sqm block. We have plenty of room and a big back yard for entertaining and room for DD to play. Also have spare room for guests when they come. It helps having a larger home as when it's time to expand our family we will have the room. We also have a theatre room which never gets used so it will more than likely become a toy room. However if we didn't have a big home it wouldn't bother me at all, it's just more for me to clean and maintain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We moved from a huge 3br, 2 living area home into a garage. We are moving out of the garage next week and into a small 2bedroom unit, but we can't wait! It is only dh, ds & I.

I think it would be very cramped with an extra 2 kids.. Don't think I'd cope actually. However if we HAD to, we'd of course make it work.

If you don't plan on having kids in your bed at all, what about a loft bed for you & dh? Would be frustrating getting up and down to twins... But would give you lots of extra floor space. I think you can get them for 4 - 500 from Ikea.

I think storage & organization is your key. Use plastic storage containers on wheels to store linen under cots / beds etc.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We are in a 3.5 bedroom house. It's very small with One bathroom. The kids have a room each and we use the sleepout ( that's the .5) when friends stay. The three proper rooms are literally right next to/facing eachother so its all very Squishy.
    If it makes you feel better dp grew up in a 2 bedroom house with six people!!! He didn't mind at all.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    Personally, I think most people's home are bigger than they *need*.
    I absolutely agree. And houses are getting bigger. I'm sure 30 years ago people weren't complaining that their house was too small because their kids didn't have a room each, a study and a playroom.

To the OP, do what you feel is right. If your bedroom is big enough to fit 2x babies then go for it. I am have just moved into a 2bdr unit, I have 3 kids. It's all I can afford. Before that I was living with family, and the kids and I shared 2 bedrooms as we are now, and it was perfectly fine. Yes it would be nice to have another bedroom (I don't really feel the need for a bedroom each at the moment), but we happily make do with what we have available to us.
    I also shared a room with my 2 brothers when I was growing up, it was fine until teenage years so then we had to sort out how to give me my own room. I will be doing the same with my kids; when my eldest hits 13 or so, I will be looking to move to a 3bdr place to separate the boys and girl.

Anyway good luck, IMO you'll be fine living there while the twins are babies.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

CRCR  (04-07-2012),Lillynix  (04-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We're in a 2 bed, 2 bath townhouse. It's modest, but enough for us. We really don't feel squished at all.

To be honest, if I was in your situation I would rather be financial stable in a smaller home, then push my budget to have more space...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

CRCR  (04-07-2012),Pommymumofthree  (19-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    3 br, 1 bath, 1 lounge, 1 tiny feral kitchen.

If i ever built i would want 4 br, study, and a big lounge / toy room and a NEW kitchen.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live in an old house with an attached shop that is just reaching it's yr of 100 lol fell in love with the old girl 6 yrs ago but now ready to part. The house is just a little over 200 square meters half being the shop floor and storage room and the other half is the house. In the house is 3 decent sized rooms ( can fit a queen bed, bedside tables and wardrobe in all rooms) a living area and a kitchen that has ample storage (cupboards all the way to the high ceiling). The house also can accommodate for a massive attic conversion. It sure has potential and the problem is that too many things can be done with it and it's a pain to keep clean. My partner and I live here expecting our first and dp mum lives her too about 4 days a month. Dp works away from home so I'm here by myself most of the time. It spooks me out and I think it's because it is a big open spaced house as opposed as to being tight and crammed. Plus old houses have there fair share of creaking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH, myself & our 3 kids live in a 3 bed, two living area, two bathroom home. It's very comfortable but when the girls get older & no longer want to share we will build a larger home on our block. I personally think when they are little they don't need lots of space.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, there is something to be said for being content with what you can afford.

OP, I think you are very wise indeed if this is what you are doing. No point having lots of room and lying awake at night wondering how to pay for it.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (04-07-2012),CMF  (04-07-2012),Lillynix  (04-07-2012),Luna Lovegood  (04-07-2012),Pommymumofthree  (19-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We had three kids in a two bedroom house when my youngest was born. We did make the lounge room my 2 and 4 year old's bedroom and all of their toys were in there, then our baby had the smallest room and we had the other room.
    We had an open plan living/kitchen area. No room for a dining room table and a small back yard.
    Honestly, I hated it. I hated the house though which made a huge difference I'm sure. We now live in a three double bedroom + study, 2 bathroom, lounge/dining/family room house and the space was so unbelievably nice at first and still is but we will be moving within the next 12 months and we'll be downsizing and I have no problems with that at all. This is the biggest house I have ever lived in and now it's just getting annoying to clean it all the time!
    We almost bought a 2 bedroom house a few weeks ago. We loved it and I had no problem putting all the kids in one room (my youngest is now 2) and it had a lounge, dining and an eat in kitchen so the living space was sufficient.

I think it would be difficult living in a 1.5 bedder with a toddler and twin babies, especially when there is no yard. However, if you have to do it for a while to be able to afford more space then so be it. If you think you can make it work then you most likely can, at least until you can afford to move.