Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Too big

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    It's a tough one - if you're good at keeping clutter down it's doable. I have a friend who was one of three and grew up in a two bedroom one bathroom unit, and was perfectly happy. There's no point putting yourselves into financial stress if that's going to be worse for you then simply living in a small house. But it's probably a good idea to sit down and look over your finances and your options.

We live in a small three bedroom, two bathroom home with a decent sized loungeroom and kitchen. Two parents, one baby, one cat and one dog. We don't plan on being here forever but I'm happy enough to have two or three kids here whilst they're little. We have a decent sized block for the kids to play.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We are renting a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, massive lounge area, open plan kitchen / dining with a big backyard.
    It works well for DF, DS and I. When we build we will be having 4 bedrooms.
    I personally think you need to really rethink 1.5 bedrooms for 5 people. Maybe see a financial planner? I think you can organise to see one for free through centrelink.
    Congrats on the twins too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We moved last year but used to live in a 2 bedroom unit. For nearly 14yrs!! So it can be done. You just have to be very organised.

So, we had DD1 and then twins in a unit. It wasn't huge and we had our own laundry but it was downstairs. DD1 was by herself and we had the twins in bassinettes for a while. Then when they went into cots we had all 3 girls in the main bedroom. The 2nd bedroom became our bedroom which was only big enough for a double bed. One side of the bed against the window and a small gap next to the built-in wardrobe but not even a big enough gap for a bedside table. Then about the same size gap between the end of the bed and the drawers. So no room really but it fitted.

We have since moved into a 3 bedroom house and its nice having more room. The girls rooms are all smallish but its more room than we had of course. DD1's room is really small but fits her bed, desk, bedside table and 4 drawer expedit. Our twins room just fits their beds, 1 bedside table and a 4 drawer expedit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live in a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom open plan kitchen/dining/loungeroom. It's big enough for us. Oh yeah there's 2 adults and 3 kids - one in a wheelchair so we need room for that.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    4bed 2living 1 bath. we are currently renovating to add another bedroom and bathroom. feels ok at moment except for the one toilet issue.
    2adults. 1teenager.2 kids plus one baby.so 6 in total.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Small. 2 bedroom & 1 bathroom. Our lounge room is also the toy room & office. I can vacuum whole house inc deck from 1 powerpoint. I can stand in middle of house & see into every room. We are planning number 3 bubs for next year & know we need to move but don't want to stress or rush. I can fit a cot into our room so the house is still good for a year or so after bubs arrives. We take inspiration from the little old lady next door who raised 4 kids inc twins in the same size house as us. Her kids & grandkids all dote on her so it didn't traumatise them too much lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are currently in a 2 bedroom unit whilst we build our family home, DS2 is due ni November and we will move into our new home in June so I have 7 months with all of us the unit.

It definetly would not be doable with three little ones, in my house. Not so much sleeping space, the bedrooms are a decent size and have good built in robes so plenty of room in the bedrooms.

But I lack room in linen cupboards, bathroom vanities, we are in the tropics so live outdoors on the verandah so our highchair lives outside, and we eat outside turning our dining area into the toy/play area. If it wasnt for that then nope, no way!

The living space is doable for the time being, but I know will drive my nuts with a bouncer/or swing, playmat, DS1s toys etc lying around when DS2 comes. I cant imagine having 2 x bouncers, 2 x playmats! We also live on an acre, so have heaps of space around us and spend a lot of time outdoors.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally, I think most people's home are bigger than they *need*.

I read recently that Australia has the biggest home size in the world. Yes, even bigger than America, which I must admit surprised me.

I think smaller homes have tonnes of advantages... cheaper to heat/cool, force you to stay on top of clutter, easy to supervise children.

Having said that, 1.5 bedrooms with 3 very small children might be tricky. I'm sure you won't be the first that's done it though. Do you have access to outdoor spaces? Parks etc?

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

River Song  (04-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DP, DS & I are in a 4x2 plus theatre. We have 1 spare room & the other is DD nursery (due in sep), theatre is the kids playroom. When they are older we will change it into a theatre room.