+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default **trigger warning** I feel sick to the stomach, what would you have done?

I saw the most disgusting thing tonight whilst walking with my mum. A man was shouting at his kid for running off so I looked over and he had a metal bar held up like he was going to smack the kid with it. The kid dropped to the ground and was screaming "no no I'm sorry no!! He grabbed the kids shirt (so hard the kids feet were off the ground) and threw him behind his truck. We kept walking coz we didn't want to stand and stare and we hear this scream and we are pretty sure the guy hit the kid with the metal bar. But did it out of view because he knew we were watching. I felt so sick in my stomach and now I feel guilty that I didn't do anything. But we didn't ACTUALLY see him do anything. What would you have done in this situation?

ETA: this guy was working on some landscaping in the local park hence the metal bar.
    Last edited by Mod-RaryGirl; 03-07-2012 at 22:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh gosh, that's terrible .

I think I would have got his Licence plate and called the cops. But that's me saying that from my comfy safe house. If I was actually in your situation I just done know what I would have done. Did you happen to get the plate number?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

austmum  (03-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately not, we had already walked way past and I was actually scared of this man seeing the rage he had for his own child. I had DS in the pram and didn't want to put myself in danger by going back. When we walked back he had gone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not much you can do now. I would have taken his number plate and told the police or child protection services.

Small things like this can sometimes mean a lot, especially if other people have let them know the same thing, or other incidences.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to patsmum For This Useful Post:

Sarelou  (04-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my. I'm so sorry that happened. I would have said something and or called police on the spot with his licence plate details. But I'm a foster carer so that might make me feel stronger and braver about intervening...? I would have called out something like "Excuse me! Is everything ok here?" just so he knew someone was watching at that moment.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please dont feel bad about not intervening. I would have been petrified too. If he does that to his own kid then I wouldn't put it past him to be violent to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for trigger warning mods

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I *like* to think I would have rushed over shouting at him to "stop hitting your kid, I've called the cops" and call the local station with the number plate and taken the child to safety. But in reality, if I had the kids with me, I'm not sure I would put them at risk. Like others said, there's a fair chance he might have hit you too. But I would have tried to get his plate and reported him even if I did do nothing in the moment.

I have gotten in between a friend and her XBF when we has going to hit her (he grabbed me by the throat and told me my mother wouldn't recognise me when he was done. I yelled at him to go ahead because I wasnt scared of him and would press charges not like my friend), so I know if I was alone I probably would rush in without thinking of my safety, but it is our job to protect our kids too.

But far out, I feel sick just from reading that. That poor little boy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im sorry you had to witness something so awful.
    The poor child. I would have said something. I cant help myself if i see a child being hurt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    you did what was best for your own child. At least if you report it..since he is doing work they will be able to trace him.

I would intervene if I saw a child being beaten or stay close enough to make the parent worry that someone is watching waiting to report them. Although I have only had this happen without my kiddies present I probably would think about kids first

I am one of those people who do not often think before acting so while I would step in, it would be because I am just reacting not being helpful.