+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What does your toddler eat everyday?

Hi, my DS is 16 months old and weighs only 10kg (fully dressed with shoes!) He hasnt gained weight for at least 3 months! He was born healthy, full term, 3.5kg.
    The clinic nurse is not all concerned because I am small and he looks healthy and very happy. However I am still worried and feel that hes not eating enough. Sometimes he would eat heaps, and would let me feed him with no problems (probably going through growth spurt) then there are days - like recently, he hardly eats anything! I have tried so many different recipes and am running out of ideas.
    I would love to know how heavy is your toddler and what do you feed them everyday. Please be specific (Breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner) and please include amount if possible.
    Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If he's happy and healthy I wouldn't worry. My DS is 17 months and about 14kg, and he's a big boy!

He eats heaps some days and then hardly anything other days. Since I weaned him from the breast he eats a lot more. It really varies a lot, but a GOOD day might be:

Breakfast - 3/4 banana, one piece of toast with organic peanut butter. 125ml cows milk.

Morning tea - 2 mini veggie muffins

Lunch - 2 egg omelette with grated carrot, cheese and corn. He might only eat half though.

Afternoon tea - 1 Ryvita with vegemite, or a piece of cheese and a cracker, or something similar. Maybe a piece of fruit instead. Probably another 125ml cows milk.

Dinner - Often hardly anything especially if it involves vegies. He'll often just eat the protein component - like some chicken. He loves pasta and rice. It really varies, he always has about 1/4 cup plain full-fat yoghurt for dessert.

That's it. On days he is looked after by grandparents he often eats virtually nothing the whole day and then has a big dinner.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

tubster  (03-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Everyone worries about their kid so I won't tell u to stop worrying, but I have been in the same boat. My ds1 is 2.5 and has only now clicked over to 12kg. His 9 month old brother eats more than him.

Ds1 eats 1/2 a porridge sachet for bfast, some fruit for a snack (like say 1/4 of a pear), 3 spoonfuls of anything for lunch, a few biscuits and then a few more spoonfuls of dinner.
    He will have about 150-210ml of milk twice daily.

I used to get upset but I know I was similar when I was a kid, and I know he will let me know if he is hungry.

I have tried toddler milk, all sorts of stuff to get him a bit chunkier but he just refuses.

Now I just keep offering fruit, even biscuits, all the time and that seems to satisfy him, considering jhe doesn't eat much at set meal times.

I know it's tough buy if they're happy and not sick then ur doing a good job!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

tubster  (03-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 20mo DS weighs 10.5 kg and has always been little and under the normal weight range.
    He eats quite a bit, but still has days that he will eat barely anything.
    Normal day he will have
    B: a yogurt, half a banana and a half piece of toast or a little bowl of porridge.
    S: baby snack bar
    L: sandwich with salad or a small piece of chicken and a bowl of zucchini/carrots and corn
    S: half an apple and banana
    D: tonight he ate a two egg and cheese omelette. Cucumber and cherry tomato salad. Half a bowl of rice and a half apple for dessert.

I have a nephew who is the same age and eats barely a thing (about 1/6 of what DS eats, he is 16kgs) so genes can be the cause!!!

I hope I can help put your mind at ease a little

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bethylou78 For This Useful Post:

tubster  (03-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS is 20 months and 14kg ( and quite tall!) he usually is a great eater but does have the odd day he just picks!

Today:
    Breakfast: 1 wholemeal piece toast with avocado and small serving of fresh strawberries and yogurt

Morning tea: 1/2 green apple and 2 mini rice cakes

Lunch: we were out for lunch - 1 Thai fish cake, a couple of pieces of cucumber, olives and feta and a small bowl of chicken and veggie soup

Afternoon tea: A2 milk banana smoothie ( about half cup) and a handful of fresh peas

Dinner: lasagna ( small serve) 2 pieces of garlic bread, a corn cob and some more peas

Desert ( we don't have regularly but his cousins are sleeping over so i made a chocolate brownie!) small sliver of chocolate brownie

Bedtime- 150ml goat milk formula

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

tubster  (03-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd is 18 months and is just under 10kg. She usually eats quite well - a run down of her day would be:

upon waking - cup of milk (150ml)

Breakfast - 1 piece of toast or 1/2 cup cereal & milk

Morning tea - 1 - 2 pieces of fruit

Lunch - a bowlful of dinner leftovers, toasted sandwich, 4 cruskits, homemade chicken & veg nuggets, etc - I usually try to have something that has vegies, carbs and protein in it.
    Sometimes fruit for dessert.

Before bed - 200ml cup of milk

Afternoon tea - finger food vegies, a cracker or two - doesn't usually eat much, just nibbles

Dinner - a bowl (or three depending on her appetite that day & what we are eating) of whatever DH and I are eating for dinner.

Before bed - 200ml cup milk

I generally don't worry about her weight, even though she is on the smaller side for her age, because she eats quite well.

Looking over what most of your toddlers eat, I'm thinking perhaps I give her too much milk? I usually don't mind because I don't feel like it inteferes with her eating, but perhaps I should start encouraging her to cut back... Although she is dairy intolerant, so her milk (goat milk formula) is her main source of calcium, because she can't have cheese or yogurt, etc
    Last edited by Cinderella82; 03-07-2012 at 21:46.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

tubster  (03-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS2 is 2.5 and weighs 12kg. I worry all the time about his weight, he's so little! A typical day would be:

Breakfast: 1 piece of toast (I have to sit with him and make him eat it all otherwise he'd eat a quarter of it).

Morning tea: 3 slices of apple or half a banana.

Lunch: half a sandwhich (with vege, chicken or ham and cheese usually). I have to really encourage him to eat even that.

Afternoon tea: 2 milk arrowroot bikkies.

Dinner: small bowl of whatever we're having. Usually have to really encourage him to eat this too. Usually I end up feeding him this otherwise he'd happily not eat it and go hungry.

With each meal (well at the end of it anyways) he's allowed a half cup of milk which he drinks very quickly. Pretty sure if he could live on liquids he would.

I wish he was a good eater like DS1, it's really stressful at mealtimes and I've tried every trick there is!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to spunkles For This Useful Post:

tubster  (03-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 16mo twins get offered the following...
    On waking... Bottle 200ml
    Breakfast... Cereal and purée apple and croissant
    Morning tea... Mini muffin and cheese stick
    Before sleep... Bottle 200ml
    Lunch... Pasta bake or spaghetti bog
    Afternoon tea... Savory pikelet and fruit
    Dinner... Vegemite Santa and custard
    Before bed... Bottle 200ml
    and a soppy cup of water during the day.

However... That is not what they actually eat haha. A lot of it ends up on the floor or pegged against the wall. Some days they will eat everything in sight and even try to take my food whereas other days they seem to just live on sunshine and cuddles. Just when I think I have them figured out they decide they don't like a food they have been eating for months. Ahhh!

Its hard hey. I'm always sneaking a look at daycare lunch boxes for ideas.
    There is a good book avail about hiding veggies in food, like pumpkin pikelets etc. I use that a fair bit and cook and freeze on a Sunday night for the week ahead.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TeamDestructo For This Useful Post:

tubster  (03-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 15 months and weighs 11kg. He's a tall skinny little thing. I've recently night weaned him so he's been eating more lately.
    Breakfast: small bowl porridge
    Morning tea: Half rye bread sandwich with cream cheese
    Lunch: other half of sandwich, half bowl of baked beans with cheese mixed through
    Arvo tea: 2 bananas, 1 pear
    Dinner: small bowl of grilled chicken, roast potato, roast pumpkin, steamed broccoli.

That was today, he doesn't ever have 2 bananas but I didn't hide the fruit bowl and didn't want to deal with the tantrum lol.

Eta: I also breastfeed him 3 times a day.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub
    Last edited by Bluest Blue Box; 03-07-2012 at 22:36.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluest Blue Box For This Useful Post:

tubster  (03-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamDestructo View Post
    My 16mo twins get offered the following...
    On waking... Bottle 200ml
    Breakfast... Cereal and purée apple and croissant
    Morning tea... Mini muffin and cheese stick
    Before sleep... Bottle 200ml
    Lunch... Pasta bake or spaghetti bog
    Afternoon tea... Savory pikelet and fruit
    Dinner... Vegemite Santa and custard
    Before bed... Bottle 200ml
    and a soppy cup of water during the day.

However... That is not what they actually eat haha. A lot of it ends up on the floor or pegged against the wall. Some days they will eat everything in sight and even try to take my food whereas other days they seem to just live on sunshine and cuddles. Just when I think I have them figured out they decide they don't like a food they have been eating for months. Ahhh!

Its hard hey. I'm always sneaking a look at daycare lunch boxes for ideas.
    There is a good book avail about hiding veggies in food, like pumpkin pikelets etc. I use that a fair bit and cook and freeze on a Sunday night for the week ahead.
    Its hard work getting them to eat! I am like you, just when I thought I have his taste buds figured out he decides not to like it anymore! I am running out of ideas on what to offer him and all of a sudden he doesnt like any of my cooking anymore A bit depressing really!
    Where did you get the savoury piklet from??