+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Smile Cluster Feeding?

We have a nearly 3 wk old baby girl who we struggle to get to bed at night. Between the hours of 5-12midnight, but once she is down and asleep she can sleep upto 5 hours without waking for a feed. She constantly feeds, which at the moment I am expressing and bottle feeding her as my nipples are cracked and sore from the constant feeding between these hours and is very hard to settle and ay sleep for a bit then wake. Wind is a bit of an issue aswell. Any advice would be appreciated? We are also giving her Infacol to help with the wind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chloe you are doing a great job! I know it's so draining and you just start to think you can't do it anymore.

Sounds like what I went through when DD was that age (now 13 weeks).

I didn't ever get a solution so to speak, I just learned to understand that was what she needed. It must be so intense for them. Imagine every single thing you see, hear, feel and do being brand new all the time. Exhausting! No wonder she needs her Mummy.

Do you find she's not really feeding, she's just on your boob? That's comfort sucking.

My DD only does it after really big days now (if we've gone somewhere new or have been out all day) and this is how we get through it...
    ***DH looks after dinner, washing, everything. I look after DD. Fair deal
    ***I set up a spot on the couch so I'm comfortable. DH fetches me drinks and snacks I can eat one handed. Keep the telly and lights off/down so they don't stimulate her any further.
    ***After each boob I burp her really quietly and calmly and wait for her to start stirring before I offer the next boob. Always express a little milk onto your nipple, let it dry then apply lanisoh if you're using it. Just leave your boobs out
    ***When when I notice she's not feeding properly after only a couple of minutes, I'll wait for her to detach, give her a new nappy then swaddle her and put her back on the boob. She falls asleep pretty quick and I leave her there for another 10 mins before DH takes her to her bassinet.

It gets better! Hang in there, the BF relationship is beautiful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Chloe, my DS is 4 weeks old and I have been told this is pretty normal for their age, and it's likely to stay like that for a few weeks. It's very full on and tiring! I've been trying to learn what works to settle DS and just lower my expectations about the crazy evenings for the time being. DS loves being cuddled, rocked, and to be walked around the house. He also loves to be in the swing, which has been a life saviour

Thanks
    Reviews
    For the wind, I had a similar problem with my DD, try infants friend, it's all natural and you give it as often as you like. It sorta coats the balls of wind in their tummy and make it easier for bubs to deal with it. Also for your nipples try lanisoh and a nipple shield, I breastfed for 2 1/2 yrs with DD and alot of the time it was comfort for her. Feel free to pm me if you have more questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel your pain.

My dd was the same from the moment we got home from hospital with her. I was breastfeeding at the time. At 6weeks of age I came to realise that my milk wasn't enough for her, as one day I fed her both breasts for 20 mins and then she drank 80-100mls of formula. She also has been on infants friend drops since about 3 weeks old. In one weekend we went from 100% breastfeeding to 100% formula very reluctantly, but haven't looked back. DD is now 6 months old and still has her infants friend drops but we have been able to reduce the amount to able 10 drops before every feed. I hope this helps in some way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP, This is totally normal for many bubs a few things that may help are:
    Get as much rest/sleep in the afternoons as possible. This helps to improve the quality of your milk for later in the evenings. Try not to reach for a sugary snack in the afternoon/evening when you need a pick-me-up, as this passes through your milk.
    Rub lots of milk into your nipples before and after each feed.

This will pass in a few weeks, hang in there!