+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Support thread for parents at home alone

Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone would be interested in creating a small group for support for patents who have partners who work away.

I know I could use some other people to talk to who are in similar situations and know what its like.

At the moment my husband has been away for 2 wks we still have another 2 wks to go before he comes home again.

Then his roster changes to 8 on 6 off.

But for now I'm struggling and have no help and it's holidays

I have 3 kids 7, 4 & 2 and I am 27 wks pregnant with our 4th.

I'm just so over it & was hoping to have some others to talk to through it who are in the same boat to get me through it.

Hope to hear from parents in the same boat soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi my hubby works away on a 28 on 9 off roster is suckssss sooo bad, I am currently 29weeks but don't have any kids

I am stressing out more n more the closer it's getting to how I will deal alone at home I also don't hav any family close by

I think it's a great idea creating a group!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm right there with you. Although, DP has been 9 on, 5 off for a while and has just changed to 8/6.

I have 2 kids. DD turned 2 on Sunday (which DP was away for) and DS is 3 months.

I have been a "fifo wife" for almost 2 years. During pregnancy was the hardest. Especially having a... Ahem... Energetic toddler to run around after.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by All smiles View Post
    Hi my hubby works away on a 28 on 9 off roster is suckssss sooo bad, I am currently 29weeks but don't have any kids

I am stressing out more n more the closer it's getting to how I will deal alone at home I also don't hav any family close by

I think it's a great idea creating a group!
    Hi!

So good to see more mums like me!

It is hard during pregnancy to be alone, I miss my husband being able to feel and see my belly moving. Feel like he misses out on a lot. I don't have any help or support here either, and my 2 year old is one very energetic little man. I'm just starting to get into the uncomfortable stage of my pregnancy, SPD is starting again in my hips and I keep feinting from low blood pressure - but what do you do? Theres no jobs here, he has to work away. I hope you don't have any health issues that may make it more difficult with your partner being away. Pregnancy is hard enough already! My hubby is only away 4 wks this time so we can afford to get a new car. He goes 8 on 6 off after this but I'm struggling so bad right now on my own makes me wonder how I'll do the last 2 weeks...

So nice to have otters to talk to about it!

Nice to meet you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tasha1984 View Post
    I'm right there with you. Although, DP has been 9 on, 5 off for a while and has just changed to 8/6.

I have 2 kids. DD turned 2 on Sunday (which DP was away for) and DS is 3 months.

I have been a "fifo wife" for almost 2 years. During pregnancy was the hardest. Especially having a... Ahem... Energetic toddler to run around after.
    Hey Tasha!

I've only techinically been a FIFO wife for about 4 mths, before that hubby worked at the same mine but it was a matter of when he could get home he would get home. Used to go 2-3 mths at a time before they gave him a proper FIFO roster. Now I'm looking at this 4 weeks asking myself what the heck is wrong with u woman! You've done worse! might be the combination of being heavily pregnant now too... And my little man is also a very energetic toddler!!! Everytime I turn around he's into something else even the girls at daycare have commented on how "busy" he is lol!!!

I hope to get to know you all a lot better, I could really use a support network right now, I have friends here but like any friends they have their own families to look after, and none of them have ever had partners away for any length of time. Its nice to meet people who know what I'm going through.

And for us FIFO is the only option for us right now, as there is no work where we live and DD and DS have settled into a beautiful school here and don't want to uproot them again (we've tried twice to move to DHs mining community where he works but everyone got so depressed an wanted to come home)

Mind u I am looking forward to the 8 on 6 off... Big pay cut but I may be sane again! Lol.

Its hard to see it and imagine the new roster in action at the moment though cause I'm struggling so hard to get through this 4 wk block...

So what does get you girls through???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dannii83 View Post
    Hey Tasha!

I've only techinically been a FIFO wife for about 4 mths, before that hubby worked at the same mine but it was a matter of when he could get home he would get home. Used to go 2-3 mths at a time before they gave him a proper FIFO roster. Now I'm looking at this 4 weeks asking myself what the heck is wrong with u woman! You've done worse! might be the combination of being heavily pregnant now too... And my little man is also a very energetic toddler!!! Everytime I turn around he's into something else even the girls at daycare have commented on how "busy" he is lol!!!

I hope to get to know you all a lot better, I could really use a support network right now, I have friends here but like any friends they have their own families to look after, and none of them have ever had partners away for any length of time. Its nice to meet people who know what I'm going through.

And for us FIFO is the only option for us right now, as there is no work where we live and DD and DS have settled into a beautiful school here and don't want to uproot them again (we've tried twice to move to DHs mining community where he works but everyone got so depressed an wanted to come home)

Mind u I am looking forward to the 8 on 6 off... Big pay cut but I may be sane again! Lol.

Its hard to see it and imagine the new roster in action at the moment though cause I'm struggling so hard to get through this 4 wk block...

So what does get you girls through???
    I find the 4 week blocks sooo hard! It feels sooo weird when they come home n I think **** i haven't seen you in a month!

I try to keep myself busy but like you being pregnant there's not a lot I can do I try n see friends but again they have there own life, when I was working it was easier as I was surrounded by ppl all day I'm starting to feel a little secluded being at home alone :-( this as my first baby and I'm finding some friends are starting to drift away as we are on a different wave lengths

I'm freaking out how will I cope alone with a newborn?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I quoted the wrong reply :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by All smiles View Post
    I find the 4 week blocks sooo hard! It feels sooo weird when they come home n I think **** i haven't seen you in a month!

I try to keep myself busy but like you being pregnant there's not a lot I can do I try n see friends but again they have there own life, when I was working it was easier as I was surrounded by ppl all day I'm starting to feel a little secluded being at home alone :-( this as my first baby and I'm finding some friends are starting to drift away as we are on a different wave lengths

I'm freaking out how will I cope alone with a newborn?
    Ive done the newborn thing before on my own! not much fun! DH missed out on the first 4 months of my 3rd Childs life which is why were pregnant with no 4 he wants to experience it again and not miss out on it this last time, which he shouldn't as he goes 8 on 6 off soon.

I ended up with PND after my 3rd doing it alone and sleep deprivation. I was so exhausted & tired one morning I almost passed out with a kettle full of boiling water. And I still had o get in the car to drive 20 mins along the highway to take kids to school.

It certainly was not easy. I never want to return to those days! But everyones different, and I also ha an extra 2 kids to look after, so maybe It wont be as hard for you? We can always wish for a perfect little sleeper too when bub arrives! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Arghhh that sucks, that's what I'm afraid off that I won't be able to handle it :-( will hav to see how I go n we r hoping for a roster change of 3 weeks on 1 off which still sucks but not as bad!

My hubby can work from home if worse comes to worse but we are hoping to pay our house off a bit first hmmmmmm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I was watching this conversation and thought I might stop in and say hello. I have a husband who works away on site irregularly. He is looking for a new position at the moment (looking for site supervisor roles) and is looking specifically for a 2 on 2 off role. He currently has a Brisbane based job so only goes out to site for 2-4 days at a time a few months apart at the moment in the job he has been in for 12 months and has a day job in between that. But as from December this year we are moving to Hervey Bay and we think he will do FIFO for 2 - 6 years... I am nervous. Our kids are 5 and 9 and I have been a bubhub member since no1 was born. I am nervous about managing our relationship and connections and growing apart... also when he comes home he will be on "holiday/extended weekend"... but I will still have all my usual routines so I think this will be disruptive on the one hand and very enjoyable on the other... we know there will be events he will be there for and events he will miss because he will be on a fixed roster. I am also worried about him being in camp situation and the lifestyle that is part of that... it's hard to understand when I have never been on a camp and really am not likely to. hmmmm.... lots to ponder about... Anyone else in Brisbane or Hervey Bay or Fraser Coast and doing the FIFO family thing???

Kas