+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I didn't jump down your throat. I just don't agree at all that these times are more strict about parenting. I believe it's the opposite these days and most people agree there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to parenting.

I think most of the posts were getting at that.

If you want to have a chat about why I don't agree happy to but it seems that wasn't why you posted.
    That's it. THESE days there is more awareness about different aspects of parenting and the risks and what not. I think it is great to discuss the various different techniques, yes it may get a bit offensive but that's when you sit down and wonder why exactly are you offended, has it hit a nerve?
    I'm not offended often by things people say about different techniques, because I personally am happy with the way I parent. The few times I have been offended, I have concluded that it was because I wasn't exactly at peace with that aspect of my parenting, and I changed them accordingly.
    If people don't agree with what I do, so what? That doesn't affect me.

Constructive criticism people, you can learn from it

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (03-07-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Im glad i dont parent 'the old way' the old way lead to many many many people with autism, being unrecognised, labelled as naughty/black sheep/weirdo, rejected, beaten to behave and so on.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (03-07-2012),Sonja  (03-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (03-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    Im glad i dont parent 'the old way' the old way lead to many many many people with autism, being unrecognised, labelled as naughty/black sheep/weirdo, rejected, beaten to behave and so on.
    Exactly! And kids were smacked without question, teenage pregnancies hidden, corporal punishment in schools. My kids spend most afternoons in the backyard getting dirty. I don't miss the good old days one bit

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (03-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In a way I agree with every post on this thread!

OP you are right, kids should be allowed to be kids. BUT we are raising a generation of little people in a whole different world to the one we grew up in and they need to be challenged, parented and educated in different ways than we were.

As for parents competing against each other - I cant stand it!! But a little bit of debate never hurt anybody, right?

Oh and Diamondeyes, i work with children with autism and see how amazing they are, only 20 years ago they wouldve been in the naughty corner in schools from reception to year 12, and completely misunderstood so i fully agree with you! Much better world now for special needs kiddos!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allforthem For This Useful Post:

Blondi83  (03-07-2012),MissMuppet  (03-07-2012),Zombie_eyes  (03-07-2012)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondi83 View Post
    I find it so terribly sad at some of these replies and that they haven't obviously read it properly. I'm NOT talking about the opinions or advice given as all of this is fantastic, especially for just general advice. To try to explain it 'easier' I am tired of the attacks (much like some of your's above' I believe these forums are for advice & support NOT jump down people's throats (once again like most of you have). I rest my case
    OK when you posted this ^^^, I re-read your OP, and I suppose by 'tired of all the carry-on' you meant 'tired of ' , but in fairness, that wasn't terribly clear in your OP (no offence meant). I think a lot of people have read it as 'tired of the debate'. And were logically questioning why you are here then. In their own special ways

This is just how the hub is, some days it seems like everyone is scratching each others eyes out, other days its all rainbows and butterflies. Good, bad, indifferent, and everything in between. Don't let it get to you, just take what you like and need, and ignore the bad (or sit back and enjoy the ride )

Last edited by Gothel; 03-07-2012 at 20:06.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

Blondi83  (03-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    And I personally love watching how a thread on abc can morph into a heated debate about xyz. Some days if I'm tired or grouchy I take it all personally and it's a pain but mostly I sit back and enjoy the ride

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have only been a member for a little while now but I haven't really noticed that much in the way of "attacks" on other members. I am a member of other, non-parenting forums, and they are a lot worse than BH! In every forum I'm a part of, 9 times out of 10, the person doing the "attacking" is the OP who doesn't like the replies they get to their post. Not saying this is you, Blondi, but this is just what I have noticed in most of the threads that turn "nasty".

As I said, I'm a newbie, maybe I've missed some of the cracker threads?

Mostly I think everyone here is pretty open minded and I am really grateful that I can use everyone else's knowledge to my advantage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i read your original post as being out and about in the general public, not here on bubhub.
    i agree with pp, being on bubhub means you will absolutely come up against these things and it is your choice whether to engage or let it go.

but i agree that when it comes to life in general, we forget that kids are meant to be kids. and that means letting them make their own pathway in life whether it is jumping in puddles or sitting quietly, reading books.
    just because a child wants to do things their way and doesn't 'fit in the box' does not mean they need medication.
    i thought as parents we were there to guide them, not force them.
    yet every man and his dog seems to have more knowledge than the parent raising them.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

Blondi83  (04-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's exactly how I feel Halloweendee, 90% of the replies completely jumped off the banwagon onthis one unfortunately, everyone is so defensive these days. like I already mentioned I am 100% for support, advice and opinions, the ones I was getting at was 'oh....why would you do that, you should only do this' <<<<< thats what I was getting at but some of the replies just prooved my point at people jumping on the attack rather than thinking before they reply. I just think there are too many 'you have too's or your a bad parant' these days. So would love if people (most are on this forum ) just discussed options and opinions rather than 'YOU MUST YOU MUST' But thankyou Halloweendee for actually taking the time to read and understand my post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    lol - pretty sure the OP wasn't expecting the responses she's getting. She was expecting people to hail her for her awesome post respecting mothers choices and not arguing!!! Hear Hear!!

Cue the next thread "That's it I'm leaving and here's why..."
    These are the saddest types of post, incredible inmaturity!!!! Not sure i've heard such a type of comment since school