+ Reply to Thread
    OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Question I Need a MASSIVE favour from someone who is a counsellor!!!! PLEASE

Hi everyone,

I am writing to request an absolute MAMMOTH favour from a sympathetic qualified counsellor.

Lysander was sick for almost 12 weeks last year during second semester of university.

I was working full-time at this point (various teaching contracts) and my husband, who is a full-time external law student basically had him home during that time.

Now of course, he couldn't attend childcare, so Carlo couldn't study, so he didn't complete the semester.. This caused him major major stress (and us) as it was just impossible for him to study with a sick and whingy baby at home, and impossible any time the kids are home as well.. there is five of them.

I TOLD him and TOLD him to go an see a counsellor about his stress and how it was affecting his study... but (being a man) he wouldn't.

Now we're trying to get a change in grades for the semester, so instead of them being 'fails' (as he didn't sit the exams), they are 'withdrawn without failure'... and putting in a claim to the uni for that (plus refund of HECS fees)

So is there ANYONE who is qualified in counselling who can phone us, so he can tell you about it and you can support his claim??????????????

I know it is a massive massive ask, but I'm NOT for asking for a freebie, it's your profession and I respect that, just asking if there is anyone who can listen to him 'after the fact', so we can lodge the claim.

Please!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi the treating doctor of Lysander should be able to assist By confirming the duration of the ilness and that dh was the main carer. also a letter from childcare that states he was not in attendance should help.
    A counsellor that has never met you would be risking their liveleood to give you a letter retrospectively. What about a statutory declaration from your dh which is a legally binding document stating the situation and the impact on his studies?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Carpe diem 2013 For This Useful Post:

OJandMe  (03-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I work at a university, and even though we don't advertise it, we would accept a stat dec from your husband if it was accompanied by a doc cert from Lysander's doctor confirming his illness.

Getting uni to change grades should be easy enough (provided there is not a history of these sort of excuses) but the hecs issue will be harder..if it went on for 12 weeks, govn. will say u had plenty of time to withdraw prior to census date and/or lodge earlier request.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cakeish For This Useful Post:

OJandMe  (03-07-2012)

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thanks for that

Yes we've got his childcare attendance records. Not a lot of dr's certs though as he was away for all that general stuff you treat at home, but still can't send them for, like flu with green discharge, conjunctivitis, gastro. just a whole run of stuff!

It's so annoying! I don't know why guys are so against going to dr's and stuff!! It's so frustrating! He's written a very detailed accompanied letter, but I wasn't sure if a counsellor could listen to a situation after the fact..

I don't know how any of this works.. I just wish he'd gone when I told him to, when it was happening!

eta: oh he was fine for the first few weeks of uni... as bl00dy Murphy dictates.

eta (again): wish I'd been home to take him (Lysander)
    Last edited by OJandMe; 03-07-2012 at 16:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Has he talked to someone at the uni?

I was in a similar situation, I withdrew part way through semester but after census. My reason was huge family law issues. I spoke to the uni social worker (over the phone as I am external), she supported my withdrawing without academic penalty. I also submitted a letter from my lawyer. In fact I emailed the letter directly to her and she informed the uni that she had the evidence to support my claim but gave them an overview without them actually seeing the ins and outs of the situation.

Maybe he can call up and talk to the counsellor within the uni and they may be able to help.

Good luck!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

OJandMe  (04-07-2012)