+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mould on bassinet mattress?

Not sure if I'm posting in right section but anyways...
    So as the title suggests I've found tiny mould spots on the bottom of DS's bassinet mattress. We've never had mould like this before so im quite shocked! My instincts are telling me to just throw it away and get a new one.
    Are there any ways to get the mould out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hmmm, only using harsh stuff like bleach etc. I'd throw it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Even if you get it out, I'd be worried about spores being left behind. I'd throw it. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Even if you get it out, I'd be worried about spores being left behind. I'd throw it. Better safe than sorry.
    I agree with this. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a small baby sleeping on something that had previously had mould on it. I'd just replace it.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    if its for a 2nd bub i would get a new one - SIDS recommends a new mattress for each child. TBH ild prob throw it away anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If you need to keep the mattress for financial reasons the mould can be killed and the stains bleached out very safely

First spray with a solution of 1 tsp oil of cloves in one litre of water and allow to dry thoroughly

Then make a paste of un idiosed cooking salt and lemon juice and allow to dry in the sun - brush off the salt when dry then wash in normal clothes washing detergeant with 2 tblsps bicarb, rinse with vinegar and a few drops of tea tree oil

The oil of cloves kills the mould, the salt and lemon juice should remove the stain, the bicarb reacts with the vinegar to cut the soap out and also create oxygen bleach during the wash, the tea te oil is also an anti fungal and will help to stop further mould developing.

Good luck

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (03-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i would throw it too. I found mould on one of dd's special dresses (it was at the bottom of the wash basket for a week or so, wet) i threw it straight away. spores freak me out!