+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone know if this is right? Re: medical certificates

I have had the last few days off sick and when I went to the dr yesterday, he gave me a medical certificate to cover me for the whole week just incase I needed it. I spoke to my boss this morning and he said if I'm wanting to come back to work earlier, I had to go back and see my dr and get another certificate to say I was fit for work! I have NEVER heard of this!
    Does anyone know if this is right? It sounds a bit weird to me as I know I've had dr certificates in the past for 2 days but have gone back after one day off. Plus I don't really want to pay $60 just to see the dr and get another letter! It just seems really odd.
    Does anyone know if this is right or not. I will call my hr manager later and check but I just wanted to check if any hubbers knew.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yip that's correct

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't know if it's correct or not, but I would just give your doctor's office a call and ask that he/she do a letter for you as you are feeling better now. I know that my GP would not need to see me again in this instance and would be happy to type up a letter and sign it for me to collect.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    it's unusual to be enforced for sick certificates rather than workers comp certificates but yes, what you've been told is right.

You may be able to call the med centre and explain what's happened to the receptionist and the dr will be happy to write another certificate for you to collect. Just explain to the receptionist that you'd hate to take up a full appointment with the dr when it could be kept for someone who really needs it.

The med centres I have worked in, the receptionists get approval from the dr to do up the certificates themselves and then the dr just signs it. Your med centre could be the same. It's worth a shot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is the case! Most places its if you have 2 or more days off you need a Med Cert! Legally you can not return to work whilst that certificate states your not fit too! This isn't much help this time but next time if your dr offers, get 2 certificates! One that covers the period he/she thinks and another for when you want to return! Most drs understand the reasoning!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes my work does this also. Stupid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep that's how my work is too.. If the certificate states your not fit to work then you become a liability

Thanks
    Reviews
    I worked for the government for 10 years and we couldn't work if we had a medical certificate unless I obtained a medical clearance. So basically what your boss is saying is right

Thanks
    Reviews
    Damn it! I was hoping it was wrong! He's a new manager so I thought he might just be a bit trigger happy with the 'rules'.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have the week off but just feel naughty doing it if I'm feeling up to going to work! I will definitely call the dr and see if they can do a new letter for me to pick up.
    Thanks so much for all the replies!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CanJme View Post
    I worked for the government for 10 years and we couldn't work if we had a medical certificate unless I obtained a medical clearance. So basically what your boss is saying is right
    This. If the doctor says you are unfit for work all week, then work can't reasonable allow you back while you are "unfit". I think it's fair enough.