+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What is your bedtime routine?

Hi all, I have a 5 week old and I want to start a proper bedtime routine for her. I've read that they should be in bed by 7-7.30 with a bath/play/boob session before that to wind them down, but how do you work that out at the same time as preparing dinner and eating?

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you have a partner who is home around dinner time?

At 5 weeks old I wouldn't worry too much about the specific timing of everything.

I used to bath DD early (4pm) then pop her in the sling while I started preparing dinner (defrosting things, chopping veggies, getting everything out & ready on the bench.

Then when DH got home he would take DD for daddy daughter time while I cooked.

Then I'd boob & put her to bed while he dished up dinner.

That said, sometimes she didn't get bathed till DH got home, sometimes she didn't want to be in the sling so no prep got done. Sometimes she wouldn't go to sleep so we rocked her in the bouncer while eatting.. Or took turns eatting& rocking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't be worrying about a 7-7.30pm bed time for a 5 week old. My DS was quite a few months older before he had a 7.30ish bedtime. Routine is good, but don't stress about the times. If you do the same sort of things in similar order bub will start to learn when bedtime is and it'll help once they're sleeping all night. Using feed time, bath time, getting into pj's etc and they'll eventually work it out and set their own bedtime. Then you can just do things earlier or later to eventually get the bedtime you want.

I think we had huge success in setting bedtime and sleeping all night etc by letting DS work it out himself. He started sleeping through on his own, and we just eventually worked his bedtime back from bit by bit from 9pm and now his bedtime is between 6.30-7.30 depending on childcare days (more tired).

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My first slept through from 5 weeks, 11pm - 7am. This was with a bath/bottle(or boob)/bed routine which I stuck to like glue. Perfect sleeper, even now. I gradually brought the routine forward 15 minutes each night until he was in bed at 7pm.

Thanks
    Reviews

As others have said a routine is great but don't worry about the time. We found that the routine at that ages was more for us rather than our DD, but I think it has definitely helped us all now. DD's bedtime is around 830pm if she goes down any earlier she uses it like a nap the. We are up till late. She does play, boob, shower then bottle with daddy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

I used to prep dinner (and sometimes cook it) during bubs morning nap.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by cnic View Post
    Hi all, I have a 5 week old and I want to start a proper bedtime routine for her. I've read that they should be in bed by 7-7.30 with a bath/play/boob session before that to wind them down, but how do you work that out at the same time as preparing dinner and eating?
    I could have written this!!
    I have 5 week old twins and am trying to get them into a 7ish bedtime routine! Not much luck so far.... And they still wake every 3-4 hrs. Do yours still wake this frequently for feeds?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We start our 11 week olds bedtime routine around 8:30 ish. He is fed until about 9 (or whenever he's had enough) and then we bath him, give him a massage (just good hands on time, he loves it, relaxes so much) and then its into his sleep suit and into the bassinet with a kiss and cuddle.

we've been doing this since he was about 5-6 weeks old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    hi, i have a 3 week old and a 2yr old. We started a night time routine from the day i came home from hosp, workign around dd's routine. It seems to still be working fine for us (fingers crossed)
    It goes something like this:
    5-5.30pm - dd has dinner (leftovers from previous night)
    6pm - (we do bath's once a week for ds) i undress and massage ds, get him into pj's while dh gives dd a bath or just gets her into pj's.
    6.30 - dd has a cup of milk and story on the couch while i breastfeed ds and offer ebm top up. (Dh is cooking our dinner at this stage).
    7pm- Dd brush teeth dh puts her to bed for the night, she sleeps thru till 8.30am.
    7.15pm - wrap ds, rock him till he's sleepy but still awake and put into bassenette. Give him the oportunity to self settle, put dummy in if need be, pick him up and rock again if i feel he needs it (listen to cries..is it a cry for help or a grizzle cos he's tired and trying to go off to sleep??). He takes about 1/2hr to settle by himself. He will wake for a feed at midnight, 4am, 6am, 8am and we get him up for the day with DD.
    7.30 - dh and i sit down to a nice hot meal
    8.30 - dh washes up
    9pm - mummy showers and goes to bed!!

Oh and during a growth spurt from ds everything goes to crap! so we just do the best we can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have 5 children and our routine is like this:
    5pm dinner time (I start to prepare and then cook around 4pm).
    6pm bath time for the baby (4.5 months old) and girls brush their teeth get pjs on.
    6.30pm DH gets the 4 girls in to bed while I give baby his bottle.
    7pm settle baby for bedtime. He does fuss and needs help to settle but it asleep for the evening by 8/9pm at the latest.