+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Birth Control Frustration!

Hi everyone, I'm in a huge dilemma right now and could use some advice. I'm 18 and I got my first period when I was 13. They have NEVER been regular. Always varies from 3-7 weeks. A few years ago I finally started taking the pill to try and regulate it, but it was way too difficult to remember to take everyday, I lost pills etc. Needless to say that didn't help. This last January, I decided to try the depo shot and my boyfriend and I started talking about having sex in the near future. Well, the shot sucked. I was period free for a month, then I had a pretty heavy period straight for 2 months. I got the shot again thinking it would stop, but the same thing happened. I was do for my last shot last week but skipped it because I want to switch to Implanon At first I just wanted something to stop/regulate my periods, but now my bf of 2 years and I are finally ready for sex. I'm STILL on my period since early May, and I get the implanon July 19th. The only problem is I've seen a lot of people get pregnant while on implanon and/or have their periods 24/7 again! This is ridiculous! I cannot handle having my period all the time anymore I'm miserable! I know everyone is different but since my body couldn't handle depo will the implanon be better you think? I'm seriously running out of options

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Are you planning on using condoms? If the implanon isn't any better for you, I would suggest using the pill again, but using strategies to help you remember when to take it, like an alarm on your phone everyday or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes Theo we plan on using condoms and the pull out method if we have to. The pills got pretty expensive though which is another reason I stopped

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't suggest using implonan for you. I'm on it and my periods are all screwed up. I only get my period every 8 - 12 weeks and they last between 3-10 days. Plus I get really bad cramps (which I never had before). I only stay on it because i really don't want anymore kids right now.

i would suggest condoms because it sounds like your body doesn't react well to hormonal contraceptives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As someone who has also had screwy cycles for many years I would suggest going back on the pill to start with talk to your gp about what kind would suit you (took me about 7 different kinds to find the right one but I also had under lying problems). Perhaps even talk to family planning about contraception options and even perhaps getting everything checked out with OBGYN as you may also have other issues to factor in which contraception works for you. Personally I don't like the idea of implant but that's just me I had depo for 5 years worked great until I had to give my body a rest now doesn't work at all . My next option is merima I think it's called which is a uterine implant.

But first things first NO withdrawal method!!!! And buy a big box of condoms lol just incase!!! You obviously have your head screwed on so you will find something that works for you will just take a bit of time.

Ps. Just a thought.... When I was in my 20s I used to bleed for weeks on end and my gp did some blood tests and I was lacking in a particular hormone can't real what off the top of my head. I started taking a low dose to supplement on top of the pill that worked for me and it worked in 2-3 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Use condoms. I think you are just going to have to take the pill everyday. Leave it somewhere you won't forget. I used to keep mine on the kitchen bench. I think if you think you are responsible enough to have sex, you need to be responsible enough to remember the pill. Take it at the same time everyday to get in the habit.

Which pill were you on and how much was it?

I was on trifeme, which is the generic brand and it only costs $16 for 4 months.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 05-07-2012 at 05:37.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (05-07-2012),Theophania  (05-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi!!!
    I had similar issues to yiu with multiple periods on the pill. My body responds poorly to the hormones.
    Get them to trial some of the new pills if you can push through the first few months. Unfortunately you are right they are the pricey ones!
    Dont do pull out method.... I have a gorgeous neice who is prove it doesnt work

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the some prob with the implanon, as u had with the shot... I am surprised ur doc suggests the implanon after u had dramas with the depo shot ....my doc told me depo and implant are very very very similar working from the same hormone and if one didn't work it wasn't worth trying the other

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tlj85 View Post
    Yes Theo we plan on using condoms and the pull out method if we have to. The pills got pretty expensive though which is another reason I stopped
    1. Oh my gosh, please do not think that the "pull out method" is a contraceptive.
    2. I am like you, very irregular, no idea when the next period will come etc. I recommend going back on the pill too, but using a phone alarm to remind you to take it.
    3. In regards to the pill being expensive, perhaps try another pill. When I was on the pill (before TTC and before this pregnancy), some pills were like $70 for 3 months when others were about $18 for 3 months (cant remember which brand was the cheaper one was it was over 3 years ago when I was on it).

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If the shot didn't work for you, then the Implanon will be the same. It's the same hormone, just a different method of getting it into your body. The mini pill is the same hormone as Implanon and the shot.

I put my pills somewhere that I go daily, and will see it numerous times a day so there is no way I can forget. In my instance it's in our pantry, next to the chocolate other places were next to my bed or on the bench in the kitchen. I also used to set an alarm on my phone to go off daily to remind me.