+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanandBoc View Post
    Oh just realised u were asking about the dog too and what to say when the time comes. I personally would just tell him the truth. That doggie is now sleeping and lived a happy healthy and full life

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    I'm sorry but how is that the truth, why can't the dog have gone to some place with no evil etc too.......

Personally I would talk about lifetimes, that everything has a lifetime and that when they are gone we should remember all the good things we did with them, maybe make a little book with photos and stories to remember them by.
    There is a beautiful book called Lifetimes by Robert Ingpen that explains death beautifully.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyboys View Post
    I'm sorry but how is that the truth, why can't the dog have gone to some place with no evil etc too.......

Personally I would talk about lifetimes, that everything has a lifetime and that when they are gone we should remember all the good things we did with them, maybe make a little book with photos and stories to remember them by.
    There is a beautiful book called Lifetimes by Robert Ingpen that explains death beautifully.
    well if thats what a parent wants to tell their child then they can I never said otherwise. Its just my opinion. I have the same belief of humans too that for now they are sleeping

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have had to explain death to our DDs aged 3 and 5 and we found that quite a straight forward explanation the easiest for them both to comprehend.

We told them that sometimes people get sick, injured or hurt so badly that their body won't work anymore and so their heart stops beating and the blood cant pump and keep them alive anymore.

They know that people are buried (haven't explained cremation as they haven't questioned us on it) and that when their loved ones miss them or want to talk to them they can go and sit near their burial place or place of memorial and feel close to them.
    We also made sure they realised that after death the person is gone and they will not see them again in real life, although they can talk and think about them whenever they want to.

We are not religious at all and so prefer to speak matter of factly about death.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2girls1boyplus1 For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (03-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (03-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ergh - the sleeping thing gives me shivers - especially if you want to tell your kids some people get cremated!

My kids understand that when something (ANY living thing - not just people) dies it's dead. That it either decomposes in teh ground and feeds the Earth around it or get s cremated etc.

That people can 'live on' in memories - keep sakes like photos, books etc are a great way for a staory top be told.

That is is okay to miss someone or be sad, it is completely natural.

That we only have one life - so make the most of it!

{they also know that lots of people believe different things - they've heard about Heaven and reincarnation etc}

OP there is a good page on FB called "grief beyone belief" - Faith-free support for non-religious people grieving the death of a loved one.
    They may have something or a link to help you with your little ones questions.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (03-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was honest with my dd when my dad passed away in Dec last year. She knew poppy was sick and often was in hospital to try and get better. When he passed away we told her poppys body was too sick to get better here but he was better up in the sky. I took her to the funeral and told her the coffin was poppys remembering box. We talk about poppy being in the sky looking at us everyday. She often sits on her swing and 'talks' to him. She is 3 1/2 and seems to understand what we have explained.
    I also have a great book that explains life and death to children called :Beginnings and Endings with Lifetimes in between, by Bryan Mellonie and Robert Ingpen.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hansmum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually one thing my mum told my niece which I guess any one can use no matter there belief is the night they are told go outside and let them pick a star out in the sky and say that's can be the person they miss so any other time they are sad and miss them they can go into the backyard and find that star again and talk to it or what ever they want,

It's hard mostly just because no matter what it is telling them something that will make them sad is just heart breaking not fair for some one so young to have to deal with this

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Koberose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I explain that it's LIKE a deep sleep but they are no longer breathing. The body is no longer alive, they know nothing at all. I also teach that this is temporary as the bible says dead loved ones will be awakened from death. I suppose it depends if you believe in the bible as to what people believe happens.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovejoypeace For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (03-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovejoypeace View Post
    I explain that it's LIKE a deep sleep but they are no longer breathing. The body is no longer alive, they know nothing at all. I also teach that this is temporary as the bible says dead loved ones will be awakened from death. I suppose it depends if you believe in the bible as to what people believe happens.
    Thanks for this, well put

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I told DS that when people die, they become the stars as it was something he understood at the time at 4yrs old. He is still happy with that explanation at 5yrs old.and hasnt bought up death for quite awhile.

When he is older and askes more questions, we will talk more about it in depth. We will most likely go through the talk within 2yrs as my dad is very sick atm and wont recover from it.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have told DD that her nana is in heaven.
    She was there when MIL died, and told us "shh nanas sleeping" so we have gone with that; nanas sleeping in heaven.